V22 Experimental 7 Hotfix 2 Released!

With all the nonstop back-and-forth controversy on psionics I'm not sure how they're supposed to function now, but my troops are being mentally attacked when the aliens cannot possibly have LOS. Is this intended, or has it not been adjusted yet?

If I remember correctly Chris doesnt want it to be LOS based, and it is not currently. It uses a range instead. Any unit withing range can be attacked. Units outside the operational range of the psi attack get a defensive bonus against psi attacks.

Alien accuracy generally feels much higher than previously. I get the feeling that this is due to the line of fire bug being fixed, though, such that the shots are actually using the best path rather than pretending too. So, hopefully, if/when the line of fire calculation is inverted, it'll go back close to 'normal'.

I have to agree, the aliens seem to be hitting far more of my men behind cover than feels reasonable. Combined with the increased alien spawns early on, I'm losing a lot more people than before. The worst part of it is, I have a 0% chance shot on them, while they have a 50< chance on me around a corner.

I feel like in a situation like this:

88888888l A

88888888l

88888888l

88888888l

88888888l

---------

8888888X

(Ignore the 8's, I couldnt get the 'walls' and the xenonaut to stay without them =p)

Where X is a xenonaut and A is an alien, the xenonaut should have a far better chance to hit. All he has to do is lean slightly around the corner to shoot at the alien, while most of his body is hidden from the aliens view. Instead, the xenonaut has a 0% chance to hit because the line of fire doesnt allow for a lean, while the alien had a 76% chance shot because the line of fire just barely touches the xenonauts toe =/

Edited by UmberSkies

Hopefully the LoF thing is getting fixed. The problem is that, since the LoF change the game uses the the centre of the shooter and traces to *any part* of the target's tile (taking the best path). That's what's producing things like in your example. Inverting the system (so it uses the best part of the shooter's tile to the centre of the target) will invert the the LoF so that being close to cover is an advantage, not a disadvantage!

The added projectile velocity was much needed, but I feel is a bit too much now. At least on my computer, it seems like bullets are lagging as they travel so fast they only show for a couple of frames.

I feel the new night time mission visuals are a step back I'm afraid. Everything is grey and it looks more like a rainy/foggy day than a dark night. The old look was much better, and the max darkness needs to be darker and the range of light levels wider. Night time needs to have more stark contrast between the surrounding darkness and light sources/xenonauts.

Also, the night time light scoure bug is still in the game: if there are multiple light sources in the night mission level, only few of them has the nice smooth gradient around them and the rest have 100% light up to range and then a sharp cut to max darkness.

I'm also worried about the LoS issues. It just can't be like this... I'd be fine if it's just a "fix" I proposed earlier (inverted los) instead of a real fix. ATM this is the most game breaking issue.

Edited by Skitso

Havnt played for a few builds but just wanted to say loving the way sight updates now, love the added bullet velocity. but am having all sorts of wierd accuracy going on. I seem to be easily hit by aliens when behind cover whilst i have no chance of hitting them even tho they are standing in the middle of an open field. I also had 5 men killed by reaction fire whilst still in the chopper... maybe having alien spawns looking straight into the rear of the chopper isnt such a good thing, or perhaps i should just be smoking the exit ramp like in the OG ;P

I feel the new night time mission visuals are a step back I'm afraid. Everything is grey and it looks more like a rainy/foggy day than a dark night. The old look was much better, and the max darkness needs to be darker and the range of light levels wider. Night time needs to have more stark contrast between the surrounding darkness and light sources/xenonauts.

Have only played a single night mission so far, and it was on an Arctic map (for maximum night-time brightness, apparently), but I think I agree with this. There's nothing wrong with it per se, I just don't think it has the same atmosphere of the old version for me. Kind of like fighting with clear sky and full moon, rather than overcast or no moon.

Well, all I can say is that between the AI changes, the LOF issues and the "non-combatant" buff, fighting caesans has become a whole new experience. I've assaulted three vettes so far, and my troops have been getting killed and wounded left and right. Have been hit by many shots that would've missed before, including crouched soldiers with shields looking straight at the enemy getting nailed.

Entering the vettes is particularly dangerous; the side alcoves in the front room feature hunkered-down enemies who you cannot spot until you enter the room, and you are then sprayed by accurate reaction fire from both sides. Chris said he was looking to make caesans more of a challenge; in this build, that has certainly been achieved!

Have only played a single night mission so far, and it was on an Arctic map (for maximum night-time brightness, apparently), but I think I agree with this. There's nothing wrong with it per se, I just don't think it has the same atmosphere of the old version for me. Kind of like fighting with clear sky and full moon, rather than overcast or no moon.

Yeah, I just played another night mission and the atmosphere is indeed gone. Hope Chris agrees on this as the effect is a bit lame atm..

@Chris

Do you Plan to make PSI avaible for our Soldiers? Like in the Old Ufo: http://ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Psi-Amp.

Would be very Interesting. I remember that i must in some of my playthroughts remove above 4 Soldiers from my Team and build new Team Members up to not get overwhelmed from the Alien PSI. My target was allways 2 Super PSI Soldiers and the others with a good defense.

Random Frivolous Post (by all means ignore)

1. In respect to the nighttime mission lighting, could a third state be introduced into the game? Full daylight, full night (like it was), and a dawn/dusk level of illumination (as it is now) with partially compromised visibility?

2. Kabill's post mentioning clear skies and a full moon in the arctic makes me think of wolves. Wouldn't it be something if a wolf sprite could be made, and given a berserk-like AI in which a few of them would roam the map and attack whatever looks tasty? They could be given a howling sound too, which would certainly add quite the ambience to dark arctic maps. To stretch this, how about cows on farm maps and maybe camels on desert maps? They wouldn't necessarily have to do anything, just stand there looking like they're munching grass and acting as meat shields. Could maybe add a bit of life and variety to the inorganic maps?

Edited by dpelectric

The night missions could be a little darker but maybe not as dark as previously also the spotting system during nights is also buggy. Could spot alien miles ahead of the my LoS, but since it's night I couldn't see him but the icon was there

xenonauts 2014-05-11 16-39-02-03.jpg

xenonauts 2014-05-11 16-39-02-03.jpg

577e7ce20f7c0_xenonauts2014-05-1116-39-0

The night missions could be a little darker but maybe not as dark as previously also the spotting system during nights is also buggy. Could spot alien miles ahead of the my LoS, but since it's night I couldn't see him but the icon was there

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3646[/ATTACH]

I strongly believe she heard him farting over there xD

Looking at the Silencers picture, I just don't get the logic of the night mission visuals regarding the light emitting from the xenonauts and the LoS. Is it intended that the light emits now only directly in front of the units? If it is, great.

The night just needs to be a lot darker and the flashlight range shorter so the deep darkness starts right where your flashlight cone ends. It doesn't look right at the moment... I want to see creepy black silhouettes of scenery and aliens at the edge of my light cone and it can be done, it's just a matter of putting in the right settings.

Edited by Skitso

GH will most likely not add any new assets in the game as the game should be ready to launch in few weeks. Should be easy enough to mod though, if you want to do it...

Of course. I wasn't seriously suggesting they (or anybody else) think about it. If I had any modding artist skills at all, though, I'd certainly give it a go. Unfortunately, I have no clue :(

I have in Crashsites a Bug, allways a PSI ability from a Preator hits (not the projectil) the Game crashes. I can load my savegame and the game continiues after the Preatior misses with his PSI ability.

I dont Test this with the other PSI Races, but if that happens too there i write it here.

Looking at the Silencers picture, I just don't get the logic of the night mission visuals regarding the light emitting from the xenonauts and the LoS. Is it intended that the light emits now only directly in front of the units? If it is, great.

The night just needs to be a lot darker and the flashlight range shorter so the deep darkness starts right where your flashlight cone ends. It doesn't look right at the moment... I want to see creepy black silhouettes of scenery and aliens at the edge of my light cone and it can be done, it's just a matter of putting in the right settings.

Do it then, it's just a couple of numbers in tilerenderer.xml.

I prefer the new look tbh. The darker colours make the FOW look ugly and square (the same reason why we lightened it for the day missions).