UFO waves

I've had my dropship shot down by a fighter after returning from the first mission. Came out of nowhere, was quite a bummer. It's quite dangerous now in v22.6 to go to 'off radar UFO-crash sites' that were downed by local forces.

It's an intricate balance. You may as well have the aliens save up 3 waves worth of ships in orbit and then make 1 killer wave from time to time. Chance would be dependent on difficulty. There may even be a message about it: "Unusual ship formation is being detected in orbit".

The wave system is fine how it is now. To people who don't like it - you obviously haven't played UFO:ET with mod made by certain Russian guy. There was introduced wave system as a bonus which would spawn 20 UFOs even. It was fun.

I think you guys are so proud of your little air combat mini-game that you are putting waaaaay too much emphasis on the challenge of shooting down UFOs, and completely ignoring that your approach leaves the geoscape a barren uninteresting wasteland for most of the game.

Why did you decide that air combat should be such an important part of the game?

It's as if your design philosophy doesn't understand what made the original games great. One word: Tension. You would feel tense never knowing when the next UFO would appear and if you'd be able to take it down due to the more random air combat. You'd feel tense in ground combat never knowing what the mission site would look like or where the next alien is lurking about. In Xenonauts you sit around looking at your clock while waiting for the next predictable wave of UFOs to appear. In ground combat you know the map patterns after a while, you know that only about half of the aliens will engage you outside the UFO while the rest hunker down inside, you even know that Aliens can't spawn on the second floor of buildings, so you never have to check or be wary of sniper fire from the windows. I think this is the games biggest downfall.

Hahaha, are you serious? The tension of not knowing if you'd be able to take down an ufo? Have you ever played the original, because it seems like you didn't. After you research the plasma beam aircraft weapon there was not a single ufo that you couldn't take down with zero risk. And if your smart you got that research in the first month, second month with really bad luck.

There was no tension. The aircombat was by far the weakest part of the OG and i am glad that they changed it.

I think you guys are so proud of your little air combat mini-game that you are putting waaaaay too much emphasis on the challenge of shooting down UFOs, and completely ignoring that your approach leaves the geoscape a barren uninteresting wasteland for most of the game.

Why did you decide that air combat should be such an important part of the game?

It's as if your design philosophy doesn't understand what made the original games great. One word: Tension. You would feel tense never knowing when the next UFO would appear and if you'd be able to take it down due to the more random air combat. You'd feel tense in ground combat never knowing what the mission site would look like or where the next alien is lurking about. In Xenonauts you sit around looking at your clock while waiting for the next predictable wave of UFOs to appear. In ground combat you know the map patterns after a while, you know that only about half of the aliens will engage you outside the UFO while the rest hunker down inside, you even know that Aliens can't spawn on the second floor of buildings, so you never have to check or be wary of sniper fire from the windows. I think this is the games biggest downfall.

There was no tension in when the next UFO would appear. It was just a question of if you would wait 6 seconds or 15 seconds of fast forwarding for it to appear. The only UFOs that posed an threat to even basic planes were Battleships.