The workaround thread

No workaround on research bug? AFAIK I'm supposed to be able to research lasers after researching a recovered plasmarifle and pistol, but so far I've got nothing.

You also need Alenium/Alien Power Source thingy. I forget the actual names. Basically, you can't research lasers until you've downed a Scout and it's power plant was intact. Once you have this you get all the goodies.

Good news everyone:

The research tree breaking save game issue is fixed \o/ hurray. Sorry if it took so long. The next build is going to be awesome I hope :).

Also, you cannot load save games from the ground combat. It's as designed, it's a feature to prevent save-loading in every turn.

• 3 months later...

Crash to Desktop After Ground Battle Loads Easy Work Around for 13.2:

I have not encountered enough ground battles to confirm this 100% but the last couple of times I came to realize that if you do not CLICK ON the units the game will not crash. You will not be able to move your units though after you hit control + 1 for your tank or whatever number key selects your closest guy to the ramp. When you try to move off the ship you will see that you are stuck but the game will not crash if you do not click on any of your units. At this point simply press the letter "V" and poof the ground mission ends and off you go on your merry way.

Hope this helps and I'll let you know if this method continues to work as I am playing.

Okay so here is my final run down. This trick works however the downfall is that it appears that every single ground battle afterwards will be bugged. I can no longer do any ground battles without either clicking on a unit and crashing the game or pressing v to skip the ground battle entirely. I also noticed that I could not re-assign my tank and i tried selling my Chinook and using nothing but troops but alas still got the bug. Seems nothing short of modifying game files or waiting for the next patch/hot fix will fix this.

Edited by lordfeff

• 3 weeks later...

[V14 - Advanced Medkits vanishing when trying to use during Ground Combat]

Solution: Open weapons_gc.xml in Notepad or Wordpad (Do NOT use MS Word, it'll break it) and change the following line:

weapon.grenade.medikit

TO

weapon.grenade.advancedmedipack

This will allow their use in GC once you've researched Alien Biology.

----------

Update:

In V15.1, there's still an error causing AdvancedMediPacks to not appear in the soldier's hands:

Find the following line in weapons_gc.xml:

"weapons.grenade.advancedmedipack"

Change this to:

"weapon.grenade.advancedmedipack".

Happy healing!

Edited by Buzzles

• 1 month later...

[V15 Time freezes when you load a save game and cannot be unpaused]

Another workaround from Giovanni (I think) which might help.

1) Open Xenonauts

2) Launch a new game

3) After having positioned the first base, press Esc and click Load Game

4) Select the previously saved game, it should be unpaused now.

A bit unpractical, but it allows you to play until we fix it! (seems like the issue is just when you load a game from the main menu)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

In v18hf3 all the equipment is returned to the base. Do you have a storeroom at the base? If not build one. The game remembers your stuff, it just has it 'locked away' in a storeroom that does not exist (yet). I built a engineering base, and made a lot of kit, and then realized I could not transfer it as intended. As soon as I realized I had missed a storeroom, I built one and all the stuff I had made was in it.

If you are really losing kit, you could always use the duplication cheat*. Right click on weapons in the unit Equipment Screen, back and forth between the equipment list and a unit. The number of that weapon will be incremented as you cycle through this. Be warned that the unit will be equipped with an empty weapon at the end, so you will need to drag a magazine over the weapon on that screen to reload at the base. If you get to the Cruiser stage you can be ambushed at the landing zone, and empty weapons could cost you a unit or two.

*This does not always work. Some units can duplicate anything, while others are limited to laser, and if I remember correctly, there are some that will not duplicate anything. So find one unit that does work and just use them over and over. I have only tested it with laser and plasma weapons, and it does not work with the shield.

[Ver 18.3 stable, Ver 19.2 experimental, 19.3 experimental and maybe higher]

Game crashes when trying to attack a crashed landing ship in the middle east

Mod the "assets/maps/middleeast/middleeast_medium1.xml"

Set the value :

<layer name="airplane.alien.landingship" status="crashed">

<submap name="alien.landingship" left="23" top="-1" width="23" height="21" />

</layer>

to

<layer name="airplane.alien.landingship" status="crashed">

<submap name="alien.landingship" left="23" top="0" width="23" height="21" />

</layer>

And the map will load without crash.

When set to -1 I tried 3 attacks in a row, all were crashes to desktop,

when set to 0 I had no crash.

Set it back to -1 and crashed again, set to 0 and no crash....

When set to 0 the alien ship will be set to the boarder, so I think with -1 the alien ship will be spawned outside the ground combat map and that this causes the crash.

Edited by Redbull102

Is that an auto-attack (cursor automatically changes to target cursor) or did you try clicking on the weapon (stun baton) and then clicking on the alien? There are other non-auto targeting aliens (18hf3) but they all can be manually targeted by clicking on the weapon and the enemy square.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...