Memorial room

I am surprised that this has not already been added into the game. It seems like a very fine addition. If the Devs will not do it, for whatever reason. Then would a talented modder please step forward to take on this task? I would very much like to see this added before the game is released.

I am surprised that this has not already been added into the game. It seems like a very fine addition. If the Devs will not do it, for whatever reason. Then would a talented modder please step forward to take on this task? I would very much like to see this added before the game is released.

Modding in this game is apreciated by community but is not tsken in consideration by Devs IMHO. I see a lot of people that makes lot of great mods and non of this mechanics is taken in consideration.

The only way something can be modded is if the devs put the groundwork in so the modders have something to adjust or tweak.

With a small studio it isn't always possible to put everything in just so someone can build a mod around it later.

I don't see how this equates to them ignoring modders as you suggest.

In fact there are several things that the devs have wanted to remove or not add at all but have changed their mind when asked to by the mod community.

I don't see how this could be modded in unless the devs add and debug the code to record all of the required information.

A few weeks before the suggested release date while also trying to iron out other bugs and fine tune the balance, as well as potentially reworking the psionic system is not likely to be a good time to do it.

It is possible that the code for medals could be reworked and built upon but that is still taking a coder away from getting the game ready for release.

I am not sure but I think GH only have one coder...

"He was lost in a failed Cruiser Class UFO assault mission on 3 Feb, 1980 along with 7 other Xenonauts."

Much more concise :-)

Did you write a script to do that, or make it by hand? All of the information to generate that is probably available in the game already.

Looks really good.

Doesn't look like an in game image, maybe a mock up.

Font is wrong and images are misaligned or duplicated between soldier windows.

I doubt that very much of that information is currently recorded by the game or stored in an easily accessible format.

Maybe number of missions and number of kills would be recorded as that is used for medals.

Would be interesting to see how it could be accessed if I am wrong though.

It's just an image I put together, got a little free time yesterday at work and got carried away. I don't think such a thing can be put into the game without some considerable codework by Dev. Most of the information is probably in the code but tracking, sorting, interface is probably much overhead for dev at this time. Too late for it probably, mine's just a wish. Glad people like the idea, shows just how much value and character such a thing would add.

I do like the image you posted up and I agree that it would add a bit more character to have something like this.

I don't see it happening though, it is quite a lot of work for a product that is still short of the quality it needs in other areas before its impending release date.

If the options were to dedicate a coder to doing this or fixing psi powers I wouldn't even have to consider which would be preferable.

Since the new interface is all lua and stuff, i think if the info about this events could be stored somewhere (something like id-name-portraitcode-stats-missions...endmisssions-kills...endkills-diedfromwhat-diedfromwhom), then it would be possible to make new UI screen, map to the button somewhere in the barracks, and generate descriptions like these, i think.

So, it comes down to

1. Death data and functions to retrieve it from the scripts - up to generosity of developers

2. lua UI code moddability, generating descriptions from the raw data. - up to someone who've had the experience with the lua and xenonauts UI modding in particular.

The interface is only the simplest part I believe, but there are some fundamental issues like:

-Soldier's are apparently completely destroyed in engine after killed. To have a memorial system, they need to be kept and hidden from use, which will probably require much codework in barracks and equipment screens (which only on the latest build, hopefully got cleared of its major crash bugs, not certain). Or some other dedicated system implemented.

-Getting the reason of death seems complicated. I believe the kill counter works when the soldier's shot itself is the cause of death for the alien. Implementing a reverse for aliens will require adding some variables to soldiers if nothing, probably much more. This is likely to produce crash bugs for the many special rare cases there might be like bleeding, dyeing of explosion, friendly fire, collapsing building, simultaneous death, getting intercepted on air, being knocked out with gas and mission is lost after, turned into reaper, burn from fire, prop explosion, killed by local force, left behind after retreat, etc. which are all currently possible, there are bug posts for some.

-Even interface issues are known to have caused some tough crash bugs in the recent past. [Click on Equipment screen button --> CTD]

Most things appear simpler than they are. This issue doesn't even look simple.

So I don't see it happenning either.

Edited by Caaygun

Well right now the game has to be saving the troop information somewhere, regardless of the deletion when they die. It may be possible to have something skimming the save file for the info related to troops. You might not have any stats from the final mission they fought saved, but you would have a date of death (Game day when the character was removed from the file) and their previous stats. Just a list of names with date of hire and date of death would be plenty to get the idea by, no need to worry about extreme specifics and photo's, ect.

The game doesn't seem to store the date the soldier was hired so coding input would be needed to do that.

The date of death is also not noticeably used so I imagine that would also need coding.

Some other information is stored but would be meaningless without the basics, and those basics are what would require the most work to add.

The memorial in the Firaxis games, IIRC, was pretty simple and straightforward. Static backdrop with lines like "Major Meat Shield, KIA 1/9/1980, alien heavy plasma" should be do-able?

-------------------------------------------------------------

This idea of Dirk Ralther's was even better:

"It would be cool at the end of the game to have a scroller before the credits where it comes up with something along the lines of:

"In Memoriam to those who gave their lives in the defense of Earth:

PVT. Mickey Mouze

SGT. Patrick Fitzpatrick

etc. etc."

And have it list off the names of each Xenonaut that met a grisly end at the hands of the Xeno menace. It would be awesome if it played Taps or some other traditional military music to honor the fallen."

--------------------------------------------

If I wanted to REALLY fantasize, I think of watching my son playing Halo, where you can record the video of all your epic battles. Just imagine going to the memorial room when the war is won, and watching playbacks of the moments when each of your soldiers died. With appropriate music, of course, like taps or, maybe, Britney Spears' "Hit Me Baby One More Time"