(Sort of) Random Maps!

kabill

This is impressive work. I don't think the maps are quite up to the standard of the hand-crafted ones, but they look pretty good for randomised ones. It must have taken a long time to put it together.

Cool that you had a look at these and what you've said pretty much mirrors my opinion exactly. Personally, I'm happy to trade quality for quantity, but that's because I've been playing the game for a while now and am quite familiar with many of the maps (and map familiarity is what in the end killed XCom 2012 for me). But better to have really good hand-crafted maps for official release.

Should be. It only effects the maps and submaps, which shouldn't have been changed in any recent updates and it's been running fine for me on the latest build. (There's some issues, but I none that probably weren't there before; the Farm maps need some serious tidying up!).

• 2 weeks later...
Should be. It only effects the maps and submaps, which shouldn't have been changed in any recent updates and it's been running fine for me on the latest build. (There's some issues, but I none that probably weren't there before; the Farm maps need some serious tidying up!).

The latest packs are working like heavens! I just want to cross my fingers to see a urban, industrial and artic maps.

If could be great a Jungle map, it would be very fitted to the game.

Other tilesets might be a while. Once I've finished Fire in the Hole, I'm going to need to take a break from Xenonauts stuff for a bit as I've got some big work stuff coming up. Would definitely like to do them, but time's going to get tight sadly.

Other tilesets might be a while. Once I've finished Fire in the Hole, I'm going to need to take a break from Xenonauts stuff for a bit as I've got some big work stuff coming up. Would definitely like to do them, but time's going to get tight sadly.

Good luck! If you do this amazing work you can easy and quick what ever you want! ;)

Sometimes a little distraction is helpful for getting back with a fresh mind. Wish you to build up that creative energy so you can fusion explode with a new project when back here!

• 4 weeks later...

Update: I've uploaded a new version of the Farm maps. The only change is a (rather major) bug-fix to correct a number of props being invisible. I totally thought I'd already done this, but it became apparent recently due to reinstalling the game that this wasn't the case.

Hey there... first off I wanted to say a big thank you for taking the time to build all these maps! As a non-techy person I am probably a little naive when it comes to the amount time and effort it would take to do this. Thank you :)

I do have a question though... again Im a not tech person and I was wondering... when I extract your files to the Xenonaut folder.. is it suppose to to create its own folder in there or should I be saving over the assets and map folders??

Thanks in advance for the help and thanks again for the new maps! :)

You want the downloaded assets folder to overwrite the assets folder in your Xenonauts directory, as that will ensure all of the files get put in the right place. So yes, it will merge with the tiles/maps folders.

(For what it's worth, the pack doesn't actually overwrite any files. Oh, actually, it overwrites one spectre, but that spectre is broken in vanilla and I don't think it's used outside of these maps.)

Yes , but the sheer amount of random maps in kabills pack results having hand made maps being really rare. Also random maps vs. hand crafted maps tend to look and feel quite different, so you might lose general cohesion there. So I'd recommend you to stick to either one, even if they do work together without technical issues per se.

Personally, I don't think the different look/feel is too much of an issue. Indeed, arguably its a feature, since it mixes things up more.

The drowning-out-other-maps is something I find bothersome, though. As a long term idea, I've been contemplating adding in some duplicates of other maps, with some alterations to add in some random features, so as to increase the relative likelihood of those maps coming up.

(Of course, the other possible long term idea is to retire the map pack in favour of the hundreds of other maps people are going to make for the game :))

I really like the extra variety your map pack brings and I also like Skitso's pack, though whenever I see a new map I'm not quite sure if it's an orginal, yours, or Skitso's. I think the hack you suggest could be a good solution, so maybe you and Skitso could release up a combined map pack, with Skitso's maps (and maybe the originals) duplicated a number of times so they have a good chance of showing up.

Maybe now the source code is open it might also be possible to mod the map selection code so it can read something like a tag you could add to your map file that specifies the relative chance of the map being selected.

I've just added an FAQ on this as it comes up frequently (see five posts up!). But here's a copy of the answer:

Yes, these maps will work fine with other people's map packs as well. However, the large volume of maps in this pack has an unfortunate side-effect of drowning out other maps from the pool, so you'll tend to see a lot of these maps and only occasionally see vanilla maps or maps from other packs.

Any chance you could describe the road layout of the map to me? It'll be difficult to find without an idea of what map it was on.

(It might just be a submap issue, but I should have solved all these issues with the specific placement of the UFOs relative to the randomised submaps, so it's likely being caused because I accidentally misplaced the UFO slightly).

Not trying to be a bother, but have you though about making the pack more compatible with Skitso's? Because most people will want to use both, but Skitso recommends not combining the two due to the drowning out issues. Or maybe I could do it myself. Could I just copy Skitso's maps an X number of times, and name them differently? Any idea what a good balance would be?

It's on my to-do list, but said list is very large and I'm busy with work related things at the moment.

If someone else wants to put something together, though, I've no objections. I think I asked Skitso about doing this a while back, but I might check again as I know he doesn't want various different copies of his map pack floating around.

Glad to hear you're working on it!

Bit sad that only you and Skitso are releasing map packs at the moment. I was hoping more people would get into mapping and modding when the game was released. Maybe I'll give it a try if I have some time.

I think the map and submaps editors can seem a bit intimidating when you don't know what you're doing. Also possibly doesn't help that the mapping guide is out of date (mainly important in terms of what you need to do to access the mapping tiles since the unpacker doesn't work with them any more).