Msvknight

Was there a game (or games) that you couldn't figure out?

...as in it was too hard? Or as in "HOW DO THIS?!"?

For me, it would probably be either Europe in Flames, or The Art of War.

...maybe a bit of Steel Panthers as well...(I was 10 when I played these...).

I had a strange gaming childhood...I could start the day enjoying Spyro the Dragon and the Lords of the Relm II and then suddenly switch over to Jane's AH-64D Longbow or iM1A2 Abrams: MBT simulator.

Hell, I even tried Jagged Alliance: Unfinished Business and couldn't even get passed the helicopter crash at the beginning (I didn't know how to progress onto the world map). All I ended up doing was executing the [rather cowardly] pilot.

Edited by Commissar Pancakes

well,i played steel panthers and I also had trouble, and good to see that you were still executing people :). And to answer your 1st question, I made this thread with WTF IS THIS SHIT in mind, so I hope that answered your question

The first time I played xcom, I couldn't figure out how to fire. I was running around using only reaction fire to kill aliens.

I never really got Kerbel Space Program.

If I remember right there was a bug in the research tree in Terror from the Deep that made it impossible to finish the game. LOL. So, yeah, I couldn't figure it out! At least not until it was patched.

The first time I played xcom, I couldn't figure out how to fire. I was running around using only reaction fire to kill aliens.

The first time I played the original Xcom, I spent the entire mission shooting at the large red-green plant things in the Jungle tileset because they looked to me kind of like the alien in the box art. Not sure I actually saw a real alien across the whole mission.

(In my defence, I was eight years old at the time.)

Tornado.

Long, long ago...

I managed to land that bird maybe twice. Total. I basically quit because that "game" was more work than it was worth.

Now Gunship 2000 or M1 Tank Platoon - those I understood even on the "realistic" settings where you could fly some serious helicopter maneuvers and tactical engagements with multiple wings.

On average I'm a good figurer of outs so I had no problems even with the likes of Outpost or Battlecruiser 3000AD.

Falcon 4 and Falcon 4:Allied Forces gives a nearly fully functional F-16 simulator. It takes a good 2 or 3 minutes just to start the engine if you use the full startup sequence option. I could never do it without the checklist.

Divinity: Dragon Commander.

RTS is not my strongest genre but that is the only game I remember where I struggled to win even a single battle in the campaign.

I played it for about an hour and felt no closer to a wining strategy so gave up.

Haven't installed it since.

I couldn't figure out Dragon Age 2. That is, I couldn't figure out the appeal because the game was so awful.... One of the few RPGs I have not finished.

ooo I loved Darklands. It was super hard though.

Bah, only if you played fair. Grind your skills for a month or three and you're good to go.

I've had like 7-8 games on my 386, and most of them was somewhat understandable (DuneII, NetWars, Xenon 2, Scorched earth, Prehistoric 2, oh memories), but when i've been really bored by everything else i kept trying to progress in Dizzy. That... nightmarish thing. I've never been able to figure it out.

Just recently i've remembered about it and went to youtube to find some answers. Watched the entire playthrough. Still don't get it.

Europa Universalis IV... and thats a strange one.. I have no trouble with the Crusader Kings series, or Victoria or Hearts of Iron but for the life of me I cant figure out Europa Universalis

@Commissar Pancakes: could you give me links to the better EU IV videos?

(I never really played Europa Universalis... only HoI 2-3 (hundreds of hours), Victoria I - II and CK I - II)

The game I struggled the most with was Dwarf fortress, but all those hours of figuring it out were worth it :)
That game is impossible to win, right?

@StellarRat Yes DF has no win condition ... Eventually every fortress falls. You can set yourself your own goals... but no theres no "Victory-screen".

Edited by StK

@StellarRat I thought so too in the beginning but I love that game..

if only the UI wouldnt be that bad and didnt complicate the easiest tasks that much (Yes I'm looking at you there screen that lets (doesn't let) me set up a military).

Its oddly freeing not working towards an arbitrary victory sceen and the options the game provides you with are nothing short of baffling.

Edited by StK

The Witcher 2. I just can't get into/figure out the combat of that game.