Secret LOS modes for testing!

I've played a bit more with the persistentLOS and still love it! One simple visual thing I'd make to improve it: could the revealed but not seen grayness be toned down a bit? Like 25% less opacity.

On that subject, playing a little last night I actually found the PersistantLoS mode a little uncomfortable to play with as a result of sometimes quite frequent flashing between seen/not seen terrain when soldiers are moving. Reducing the difference between the two might help with this.

I think the two posts above this one sum up why I don't like persistent mode, a lot of effort had gone into the tile sets and with persistent mode you just don't get to see them in their full glory.

It also makes for spinning troops around after a move just for the sake of double checking you did not miss a spot when moving, which really is just a waste of time and TUs.

Meh. Guess I am just not a fan of it.

...but thats the thing: you'll get lots of surprise attacks and other unpredictable situations if you don't play carefully. I feel this is just the thing a game like this needs to have proper tension. Just make the shroud more transparent to make it easier to the eyes and maybe add 2 tiles longer sight range to decrease a bit the claustrophobic feeling some may experience.

Edited by Skitso

You know that's a fair argument, The OG was never a problem despite using this method.

Perhaps this is more of an implementation thing than a fundamental issue.

100% agree about lightening the FOW on the revealed area currently it makes the game view too dark and hides the art too much.

...but thats the thing: you'll get lots of surprise attacks and other unpredictable situations if you don't play carefully. I feel this is just the thing a game like this needs to have proper tension. Just make the shroud more transparent to make it easier to the eyes and maybe add 2 tiles longer sight range to decrease a bit the claustrophobic feeling some may experience.

In my personal opinion I disagree, that claustrophobic feeling make the player unconfortable and make the game irrealistic. Tell me something if you'r in your room, you see your dog in the door then turn around and see your window, then ... you forgot that dog is in the door? You lose the sense of presence of the things you see?.

Even worst, persistent LOS is an element of realtime games, and this game is obviusly turn-based. The idea is simulate that things are happening simultaniusly. Thats the reason why I prefer the original LOS.... goldhawk developers are hiting on the wrong side of the game. The game lacks on stability, real AI and interactive world.... soo, if the LOS and cover were working fine (with minor errors) why they are testing this things?

Both, classic and persistent is two steps behind in developement.

I won't see the dog but will remember the place where I last saw it. Just like in the game. I don't understand your point.

Also, this new persistentLOS is gameplay wise exactly the same system as in the original game. (Just with the addition of showing realtime shrowd on tiles that are not seen.)

Edited by Skitso

I won't see the dog but will remember the place where I last saw it. Just like in the game. I don't understand your point.

When I test persistent mode, if you see a alien and turn to other angle the alien disappear and actions taken in alien turn in a space that I reveal is not showed.

Edited by TacticalDragon

If we're going to play the 'realism' game, I actually think the old Xenonauts sight system wins. There's a good case for saying that the ability to see tiles even if they're no longer being looked at is a representation of actions happening in real time. Strictly speaking, the enemy are acting at the same time as your soldiers, and may do things in places that you would have seen in real time but don't because it's a turn based game. It's imperfect, of course, but I think it's a fair representation of that.

I very much thing the new system makes for a better game, though. But then, a lot of enjoyment I get from the game comes from the tension and suspense of not knowing what's going on, so it's no surprise that I prefer it.

As the LOS mode effect both the player and the aliens I would have thought it is simple a player choice, if one makes it easier for the player to spot aliens then it makes it easier for the player to be spotted.

I can see real polarisation on this issue, perhaps it is best left switchable?

I am going to fire up the old Xcom save and pay attention to how the LOS behaves later as I am not sold on xenonauts in persistent mode yet.

If we're going to play the 'realism' game, I actually think the old Xenonauts sight system wins. There's a good case for saying that the ability to see tiles even if they're no longer being looked at is a representation of actions happening in real time. Strictly speaking, the enemy are acting at the same time as your soldiers, and may do things in places that you would have seen in real time but don't because it's a turn based game. .

That is one way of looking at it but I don't personally feel that it works.

It represents everything you have seen for the last 10 seconds being visible even when you are no longer looking in that direction.

To borrow TDs example from earlier it is like looking at your dog in the doorway then walking to the other side of the room but still being able to see the dog walk around the room behind you.

I imagine if you could do that you would be a world hide and seek champion though.

That is one way of looking at it but I don't personally feel that it works.

It represents everything you have seen for the last 10 seconds being visible even when you are no longer looking in that direction.

To borrow TDs example from earlier it is like looking at your dog in the doorway then walking to the other side of the room but still being able to see the dog walk around the room behind you.

I imagine if you could do that you would be a world hide and seek champion though.

I agree that it's not perfect. But it's certainly no less imperfect than the alternative (you spend 9 second facing the door and then one second looking away, but you don't see anything the dog was doing around the doorway because you only see in the direction you were looking in at the end of the tenth second).

In the final analysis, there's nothing to be won by the argument: I'd rather the solution be the one that's best for gameplay. My point was mainly just that there's a 'realism' case to be made either way.

I agree that it's not perfect. But it's certainly no less imperfect than the alternative (you spend 9 second facing the door and then one second looking away, but you don't see anything the dog was doing around the doorway because you only see in the direction you were looking in at the end of the tenth second).

In the final analysis, there's nothing to be won by the argument: I'd rather the solution be the one that's best for gameplay. My point was mainly just that there's a 'realism' case to be made either way.

Yes your not looking at the dog as Gauddlike says, but the dog is acting at the same moment as you. Thats the reason why I believe that the "normal" mode represent this benefits:

- Best and interactive gameplay experience

- Improve AI interactions

- improve the sensitive area of the player.