Air Combat - Randomise which fighter the alien ship will attack

Resis

Just a small suggestion about the air combat - I was holding off till v9 to mention this in cash it was implemented

It would be a "nice to have" if the interceptor the alien craft targeted was random. At the moment they always go for place number one which makes the tactics pretty simple for air combat.

Should be a small change to make it random - would add to the suspense a little when starting air combat?

Cheers

Resis

It's probably going to be tuned further. most likely going to polish it to its final version after all the alien ships has been introduced.

(can't have it too advanced on the scout and the corvette. if you do then what are you going to do for the endgame ships? =P )

I'm not sure how much difference it would make in the end. I always start by sending my two interceptors in different directions at which point you know which one it will be targeting a second or two after starting.

I'll admit it does feel silly to always know I can send interceptor 1 in one direction and keep interceptor 2 on target. But you would know in the next second or two anyhow.

I think Gorlom is correct to some degree. Obviously I have no idea how much tuning will be involved.

Allowing the enemy ship to decide to switch targets once in a while might make the air combat, when fighting a single ship, feel like less of a check list process. These are alien craft, besides having faster speed and bigger guns, maybe when the AI decides to switch targets it does a Crazy Ivan (Firefly style) or something.

I haven't met anything bigger than corvette, but for the scout I just send the 2 F17s head on in to it, roll the one targeted first, fire a missile or two, roll second fighter if it gets shot at now, wait for UFO to roll, then fire more missiles. They now all hit and the UFO goes splash. The corvette, found that F17s could shoot it down with cannons because its turnrate is so low :P

There was a discussion a while back about the AI being able to change targets depending on threat.

If one was running away while another was trying to get behind then they would switch to the closer enemy.

The current builds only have the basic test AI, the final one should have more tricks up its artificial sleeves.

Yes, there is something like that but Avenger missiles are fired way ahead before this green cone even reaches a UFO.

The way I see it we should have a range indicator for every weapon, so that, for example, I could know my missiles are all in range but I cannot fire cannons yet.

Does aliens fire anything before you reach their cone?

No, they do not. But it may be because they are only using beam weapons in this build. When they get missiles of some sort I believe they could do that.

We have these nice green cone for cannons, so why do not for get for example a dotted circle for missiles?

I do not believe that would clutter the air combat screen and I also think button changing colour is simply not enough.

Rather than a circle maybe when you mouse over the missile name a line appears in front of your craft pointing outwards.

The arc could be outlined behind it.

If the missile is locked this would be a pulsing red line pointing at the target, or right at the edge of the firing arc if the target is outside of this area.

If the missile is not locked it would be an orange line sweeping side to side across the firing arc of the weapon.

That line would would represent both the arc and range (by the length of the line) as well as show locked status.

I can't do animations so can't mock up what I mean, is it clear enough?

*edit* I would also allow it to be toggled on/off for individual craft.

Rather than a circle maybe when you mouse over the missile name a line appears in front of your craft pointing outwards.

The arc could be outlined behind it.

If the missile is locked this would be a pulsing red line pointing at the target, or right at the edge of the firing arc if the target is outside of this area.

If the missile is not locked it would be an orange line sweeping side to side across the firing arc of the weapon.

That line would would represent both the arc and range (by the length of the line) as well as show locked status.

I can't do animations so can't mock up what I mean, is it clear enough?

*edit* I would also allow it to be toggled on/off for individual craft.

From an aesthetic perspective that sounds like a really good idea. Distinctly different from the cone and not all that cluttered.