How many Andorns fit into a small room waiting just for YOU?

Don't bother to count because no one entering will be able to tell anyone.

what the f.jpg

Now...

Crash site of a cruiser ship in industrial/railroad site at night (maybe one of Skitso' or Ol'Stinky's maps as I am using their map packs). Had some decent combat outside with three Harridans and some Androns, overall sum of 6 I think.

Then map was empty of roaming enemies. Entered ufo and all silent there too, many dead Androns. There were the two transporter tiles, and suddenly, yeah an "oh shit" moment, big time, end time, game over.

Seriously:

In that room waited 8 Androns all accurate as hell. Not my guys. Needed three to down one, the dead behind the crouched soldier. All of them there died after they have turned to face the next Andron.

I have tried to solve this puzzle in different ways:

- send one guy with C4; died before dropping C4.

- wanted to drop smoke before C4 or some shots; died in smoke.

- bombed the lower level, no Andron cared to come down.

- rushed in to reach next room to distract them; died at door.

After each attempt with the first soldier down, the Androns kicked into action. They approached down, all of them, killing my whole squad.

Is this ambushing Androns intended? What is the tactic to survive/win that?

And please don't mention shields. This is so quickly wasted and useless. I don't like it.

what the f.jpg

577e7cd11f4a0_whatthef.thumb.jpg.1529c00

This same thing happened to me on the same cruiser. Then the Androns came down unexpectedly and killed us all. I went back to an older save during that combat and sorted it out. It must have been some kind of bad trigger, because I was able to lure them down after going back to the older save.

Ah sorry forgot. It is v21 stable.

Yeah I have Wolf Armor but not all much at the moment. Also not all of my soldiers can wear Jackal or Wolf, because the lose immense amounts of TU, despite they are Commander or Majors. Quite annoying.

But I send up the Wolf armor guys, they died nevertheless.

And shields don't work there. I lost two shield guys with three/five hits in other missions. Sometimes the shield vanishes after the second hit. Maybe the next level shield is better, will try that.

This same thing happened to me on the same cruiser. Then the Androns came down unexpectedly and killed us all. I went back to an older save during that combat and sorted it out. It must have been some kind of bad trigger, because I was able to lure them down after going back to the older save.

So I am not the only one...

My save is with the soldiers still in the dropship. Damn.

Camper androns are the worst since they cant be suppressed by shock genades, i feel your fustration bro. Have u tried sending one man to the second level and then teleport him back down asap to tigger their aggression? I see that there is only one andron camping at one of the teleporters, when u attack him, did the rest facing the other teleport reaction fire? If they do then it is probably a bug but if not, u could probably take out the loner first, then send your men back down. Hopefully the rest of the andron will change direction and face the teleporter you were using. Then now u can send ur guys up the other teleporter to deal with the androns who will not be reaction firing since they are facing the other teleporter. Think it will work?

Thixotrop, I'm encountering the same kind of triggered behavior on landing ships (haven't gotten to cruisers yet) vs androns and sebs.

I put all of my troops on the 1st floor in good firing positions with plenty of grenades, and then send one sucker upstairs wearing wolf and TWO assault (not combat) shields. He manages to survive the reaction fire (though I never had 8 packed into one room, maybe 5) then warps back downstairs and dives for cover. The aliens follow him (coming down via more than one teleporter) and it's still a bitch of a fight, but now at least winnable with everybody tossing electroshock like crazy

Edited by dpelectric

Now imagine this scenario except it's a base assault. In September. And your guys are all trapped in the first bloody room.

Surrounded. And being constantly suppressed by those damned scout droids...

I had the EXACT same thing happen to me! End of Sept small andron base appears in South America. I assault it. First turn one andron walks in. I kill it. Second turn another walks in. I kill it. Next turn SIX walk in with a drone, spray my entire team down with plasma burst fire, slaughter everybody. This was the very 1st time I ever played the game, didn't even know what an andron was, and I'm thinking, oh, ok, so this is how it's gonna go....

Fortunately those scout drones do not deal too much damage and they fall to single precision laswer shot..usually. That room with the aggressive andron is a breath of fresh air since i was expecting them to be all campers. It would be great if aliens in ships can be more aggressive like that so for once my guys can be the ones doing the shotting gallery reaction firing heh.

Weird. I also played 21 Stable a lot and that never happened to me. There were still a LOT of aliens in cruisers and landing ships, but in landing ships, they usually rush down, once i enter the ufo giving me the advantage of reaction fire. And in cruisers they are mostly all outside the ufo anyway, except commander and bodyguard.

Camper androns are the worst since they cant be suppressed by shock genades, i feel your fustration bro. Have u tried sending one man to the second level and then teleport him back down asap to tigger their aggression? I see that there is only one andron camping at one of the teleporters, when u attack him, did the rest facing the other teleport reaction fire? If they do then it is probably a bug but if not, u could probably take out the loner first, then send your men back down. Hopefully the rest of the andron will change direction and face the teleporter you were using. Then now u can send ur guys up the other teleporter to deal with the androns who will not be reaction firing since they are facing the other teleporter. Think it will work?

Actually I found out that you can use the transporter up and down while standing on it in that mission. Before that I thought you had to step off and back on. Silly me.

But I did that, three times in a row, with both transporters, no reaction. Maybe the Androns thought: "Strange behavior of this human-thing using the transporter that way, but let him play if he likes."

I kind of remember that in the OG you could throw something up the transporter, but I don't think this will be possible to add and then I don't think it is necessary if this camping doom will not happen.

When the one soldier fired or tried to move around, the Androns near him reaction fired and killed him. The others didn't, only when a soldier appeared on the other transporter. So everytime you fire, no Andron will die, but your soldier(s).

Thixotrop, I'm encountering the same kind of triggered behavior on landing ships (haven't gotten to cruisers yet) vs androns and sebs.

I put all of my troops on the 1st floor in good firing positions with plenty of grenades, and then send one sucker upstairs wearing wolf and TWO assault (not combat) shields. He manages to survive the reaction fire (though I never had 8 packed into one room, maybe 5) then warps back downstairs and dives for cover. The aliens follow him (coming down via more than one teleporter) and it's still a bitch of a fight, but now at least winnable with everybody tossing electroshock like crazy

I don't have two shields with me in that mission.

Once my "you-are-the-dedicated-victim, pal" soldier was dead and the Androns came down they just walked past my waiting soldiers, turned and shot them in the back. Having up to three Androns doing that at least one soldier is dead, one or two other badly wounded. Two rounds after that my squad is down.

Let's see... those Androns look like Warrior Class. Oh dear. They have reflexes of 65, so assuming they've reserved full TUs, they have an initative score of 65. Hmm... if you have a pistol or a shotgun that multiplies reflexes by 1.5. A pistol or shottie on snap takes up 28% of your TUs..... hmm.... Thinking about it, to successfully fire a shot off without getting shot back you need someone armed with a pistol or shotgun who has the same reflexes or better as the Warriors. Then you can plink shots one-by-one, gradually degrading the armour of the Androns.

EDIT 2: Beter yet, you can actually WALK PAST those Androns if you have good reflexes and are carrying a shotgun/pistol. Find yourself someone defensible. (This incidently is why sidearms are issued to all my troops)

Edited by Max_Caine

EDIT 2: Beter yet, you can actually WALK PAST those Androns if you have good reflexes and are carrying a shotgun/pistol. Find yourself someone defensible. (This incidently is why sidearms are issued to all my troops)

Yeah, I have mentioned that as my fourth tactic:

- rushed in to reach next room to distract them; died at door.

It was actually a shotgun-guy.

the way I've seen any aliens come down from the upper deck of the Cruiser is as Follow:

Have 1 soldier stand in main room, preferably close to the outside door. Have 2 soldier stand in front of the door in each of the 'wings' (soldiers blocking the doors prevent aliens from opening the door and continue to look for other ways to find an exit). This way the aliens are forced to go into the main room of the Cruiser and you'll have the main force of your soldier outside the Cruiser, waiting to barge in. Also in order to trigger the aliens coming down send 1 of the soldier posted in the wings, inside the room with the teleporter and then leave the room again, closing the door behind him.

This has worked for me for almost all of the Cruiser Crash Sites. There is sometimes an alien who prefers to stay upstairs, but using this method you can eliminate most of them without having to go upstairs yourself.

I encountered exactly the same senario today (Not exactly the same, unfortunately i have less androns to face). I sent one shield bearer up a teleporter and he fell to overwhelming reaction fire. So i figured that most of the androns are facing this teleport and not the other one. So i send another shield bearer up the other teleporter and wahla, only 2 androns are facing her and she managed to survive. So she toss a grenade and took out one andron before i send her back down. Then i send my predator clad plasma thrower guy up and killed the other andron. Then it is a matter of teleporting up, firing, teleporting down, reload if necessary, end turn.

Surprising, despite the mayhem, the other androns are still facing the first teleporter where my shield bearer met his end! Apparently they must be thinking, 'Unit 1 & Unit 2 out of order. *Turn around to look*. No enemy detected. Unit 1 & 2 malfunctioned. *Turn back towards teleport*'

So afterwards, it is just a shooting gallery. My plasma thrower predator took out the last 5 of them without a sweat.

Edited by Mercent

Well, I finally came across the same scenario too. When I encountered a bunch of androns in landing ships before, you could get them to come down to the 1st floor by approaching the teleporters and/or going up, then right back down. Not in this cruiser. 7 of 'em with their eyes glued on the teleporters, refusing to move save for spewing reaction fire.

I followed my own superior advice and sent a double-shield guy up, who was promptly gunned down. Then I thought long and hard about sending another guy up. Was all their reaction fire spent? I didn't want to save spam, and I didn't want to risk losing a high-ranking officer (this being my A team, all majors or better) so, with this thread in mind, I decided to reconsider my grand strategy, turned tail like a sissy and ran for my dropship. Lol. Time to eat humble pie

Well, I finally came across the same scenario too. When I encountered a bunch of androns in landing ships before, you could get them to come down to the 1st floor by approaching the teleporters and/or going up, then right back down. Not in this cruiser. 7 of 'em with their eyes glued on the teleporters, refusing to move save for spewing reaction fire.

I followed my own superior advice and sent a double-shield guy up, who was promptly gunned down. Then I thought long and hard about sending another guy up. Was all their reaction fire spent? I didn't want to save spam, and I didn't want to risk losing a high-ranking officer (this being my A team, all majors or better) so, with this thread in mind, I decided to reconsider my grand strategy, turned tail like a sissy and ran for my dropship. Lol. Time to eat humble pie

LOL

I have tried that mission again, from the very beginning as I did not have a decent save game that was not already messed up in some way. So after cleaning the surroundings I have breached the Ufo again, side entrances, empty again.

Then something different happend:

Was positioning my soldiers. M last one entered the front door and stopped near a low wall.

End of my turn and suddenly the Androns come down.

Rushing down.

All of them.

Five soldiers dead, 2 wounded unless the last soldier that entered. Damnit.

Ok reloaded save, which is before entering the Ufo.

Now position my soldiers with more distance to the teleporters before the last soldier enters the front door.

And...nothing. The Androns were not triggered.

Again.

Soldiers at former (near) positions. Last Soldier enters. Again nothing.

Sending one of my guys up. Survives reaction fire with heavy bleeding and nearly no HPs left. Goes down, moves away. End of my turn.

Now Androns come down, killing.

Their turn ends, and...Androns are gone! Simply gone, not invisible but vanished completely as if they were not there before. My dead soldiers are the only proof.

I could see the Andron sprites vanish shortly before the hidden movement screen pops up again before my turn commences again.

Retreated and aborted that mission. My very first retreat, hurts. My pride only I guess.

However, I don't know what kicked the Andron into action that one time. I could not repeat that.

The vanishing Androns were really strange. Guess that was a bug.

Yeah, on the landing ships they seem to trigger every time you send one of your guys in to crouch behind that first low wall. Not on the cruisers. Does a landing ship have a trigger point that the cruisers don't? Can the androns see your soldiers through one ship better than another (the same way we can see them right through floors)? Are the LS aliens set to be more aggressive than the ones on the cruiser? Or maybe they've just got a good poker game going on up there, and don't want to leave their cash lying on the table...?

So much save scumming in this thread.

Pffffffft.

Casuals.

You might be suprised that many of us are playing ironman mode. Lost 2 colonels? Live with it. Lost the entire team? Live with it. I lost an entire 2nd team when 2 reapers burst forth from 2 hidden zombies.