Still don't buy reaction fire

As cool as aliens shooting back may sound, it gets annoying pretty fast, imo.

So, it's MY turn. Not the aliens turn, MY turn. I get to shoot. So why should i be getting shot at BEFORE i get to shoot in MY turn just because i go one step forward? Even worse, why should ALL 10 aliens in a room be shooting at my poor soldier that just took one step forward, in MY turn? Or why should i be getting shot at MULTIPLE times in MY turn after getting ONE shot off?

After all, it's my turn :confused: isn't it?

I think this could be improved even further with one simple tweak:

IF the alien(s) are visible from last turn, they get a much lower chance to reaction fire. Same for my soldiers, if they're visible to the aliens from last turn, also get a much lower chance of reaction fire.

I hate alien reaction fire as well for i lost a col to it. I must admit it was my mistake to think that her shield can take everything and walked her towards to door where her shield got busted from reaction fire and he turned sitting duck; i can only watch in horror as each alien takes about 3 pot shots at her and down she goes.

Reaction fire is a pain in the neck but i guess it is something we need to adapt to. Now, everytime i open a door, in goes a zapper.

Perahps what needs to be changed is the overly passive Aliens in the ships. I noticed that at some rooms in alien base, aliens will actively open the door to seek you out and it would be great if some ships can have a more active crew, instead of a ship full of campers.

I think reaction fire is indispensable to adding flavor and another dimension to TU-based games. It makes it more dynamic and less a flat "my turn, your turn" style of play.

Let's say you're pretty sure an alien is going to come around a corner at you, and there's no good cover nearby. What are you going to do? You're going to level the barrel of your gun at that corner, hold your breath, and wait for the sucker to come around. However long it takes. Doesn't matter if it's your turn, his turn, you're waiting with your finger on the trigger. Without reaction fire, a scenario like that couldn't happen- the alien could just turn the corner and blow you away (and then walk back around the corner to safety if it was still "his turn").

Just cuz it's "your turn" doesn't mean you get to dance with the princess ;)

I think reaction fire is indispensable to adding flavor and another dimension to TU-based games. It makes it more dynamic and less a flat "my turn, your turn" style of play.

Let's say you're pretty sure an alien is going to come around a corner at you, and there's no good cover nearby. What are you going to do? You're going to level the barrel of your gun at that corner, hold your breath, and wait for the sucker to come around. However long it takes. Doesn't matter if it's your turn, his turn, you're waiting with your finger on the trigger. Without reaction fire, a scenario like that couldn't happen- the alien could just turn the corner and blow you away (and then walk back around the corner to safety if it was still "his turn").

Just cuz it's "your turn" doesn't mean you get to dance with the princess ;)

Yesh it doez!!!!

Thats not what i mean. reaction fire is necessary, but not the mindless spam it is right now. And all the time it takes to go through all those animations... Over and over again...

Edited by Xenomorph

Current reaction fire isn't "mindless spam". There are many tactical ways to handle those situations, it's really up to you if you want to open a door, see 10 aliens then move again so they can shoot at you.

I'm sure the AI doesn't benefit from your entire unit watching the corner with reserved time units and blasting it away before it gets to move again, either. And aliens camping in ships are pretty easy, especially when you can open/close doors to get a full view of the interior, open doors from the side then takes shots from out of range and close it again so the aliens never get to attack on their turn, open door with one unit then throw flash bangs with another to suppress most of the aliens in the room, etc.

I don't have a problem with the "system" you can work it to your advantage by equipping your highest reflex troops with shotguns and pistols (even ARs.) I just played a GC will a Seb was cut down when he trying to come around a corner and take a pot shot. Even my MG gunner got in on the action.

Alright generals, how would u deal with this if all aliens in tight spaces are campers ;)

Given non suppressible androns they are.

http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/9465-How-many-Andorns-fit-into-a-small-room-waiting-just-for-YOU

That's when Private McBulletsponge and his dual-wielded shield technique comes in. Followed by massive quantities of C4 and Heavy Weapons fire.

drop smoke at the teleporter move 1 square over and move my team of shot guns up to point blank range and snap shot, if you set up for the breach you have full squad ready to melt face down there. get shot at threw smoke because aliens don't move to point blank range to fire and repeat. given the high armor you might have to move to the side of an andron to be 100% safe from reaction fire from the ones you kill on around 1 as it might take 2 snap shots from the shotgun.

That's when Private McBulletsponge and his dual-wielded shield technique comes in. Followed by massive quantities of C4 and Heavy Weapons fire.

The post Mercent mentioned was mine.

Yeah I don't have two shields in that mission and never have seen them really helpful.

Tried the C4...soldier dead before he can retreat as he is killed as soon as the C4 is dropped.

drop smoke at the teleporter move 1 square over and move my team of shot guns up to point blank range and snap shot, if you set up for the breach you have full squad ready to melt face down there. get shot at threw smoke because aliens don't move to point blank range to fire and repeat. given the high armor you might have to move to the side of an andron to be 100% safe from reaction fire from the ones you kill on around 1 as it might take 2 snap shots from the shotgun.

Tried the smoke tactic...soldier dead when smoke is dropped.

Pity you can't throw a civilian through the teleporter.

All those people who complained about civilians walking into the UFO for safety will be kicking themselves now ;)

Pvt. Thothkins: "Apparel, housewares, second floor. Right this way Mame. Just step on this pad. Watch the door." <snicker>

Comissar Pancakes: "Finally some original thinking."

Commander StellarRat: "Hey, he did something right!"

Edited by StellarRat

Has there ever been any thought to injuries from reaction fire reducing TUs? I just had a seb walk through two shotgun blasts to the face to toss a grenade, just to get nibbled to death be a pistol shot the next turn. I don't it is illogical to think that even if the blasts weren't enough to flat out suppress him, running 4 additional squares and lobbing a grenade was a bit of a stretch.