Door spamming

Hello,

actually opening and closing doors is a very efficient solution in most gc situations, especially at an ufo assault. Its a similar think like in Jagged Alliance 2 where you go for the roof of the nearest building, attract the enemy and shot everyone without getting hit.

However, its a little bit boring and can easy be exploited. Sometimes I have experienced situation where the aliens opened the (ufo) door, which was always fun and a OMG moment. Form my opinion this should happens more often, especially at higher difficulties.

So whats the opinion of the community? Do you exploit it? Is it a issue or a valid tactic and can it be improved?

I do belive some time ago open and closing doors used to cost alot less timeunit making it very easy to exploit. which is why it now costs more timeunits open and close doors. it would be good if AI came forward, but i think at the moment AI is either passive and gaurd an area or aggressive and come and attack you. So if a ship only has Passive AI then they won't come and attack you and that makes it easy to exploit.

Aliens should actively open doors then camp the entrance, imo. Maybe even make doors automatically opened and the player isn't able to affect their state? This would also be more "realistic" since the controls should be inside the UFO anyway. Worst case scenario, aliens lock you out and a unit is forced to blow the door off. If it's possible to make UFO doorways unable to close in the code, you could just do that as a fix all solution.

It is pretty easy to exploit atm, especially with the ability to open, close and still see what the aliens do inside on their turn.

i am with view on this one, it would be nice if most ufos had locked doors much like the red doors in bases. so your forced to blow them up to get inside. something like a scout let them stay exploited, just make the more combat orientated craft have locked doors or remove the ability to close them once open.

i will fully admit i have used it and saved my self lots of crying with it before. i think as of right now the AI cant handle doors well for a few reasons, namely there forced natures of passive or aggressive makes them too predictable, which may only seem like an issue since i have been playing as much as i have. then there is the fact that right now aliens don't seem to have the ability to open a door with out walking threw it so if you fully block a door it wont be opened. this last one may have been fixed i have not be using it for a while a build or so now.

It would be nice to have an random element when facing ufo doors, thinks like looked doors, doors which can only be opened once or doors missing doors. This would make every map more unique.

I dont know how the ufo is generated compared to the map, if its defined separately or together with the map. Maybe random ufos can be generated similar to maps.

Further, there should be a random behavior of the ufo camping aliens too, like storming out when a certain trigger is enabled, hiding at not shoot able places and so on. As a result u have to be very careful approaching a ufo door. However I dont think this is possible with the current ai behavior since it is defined in a global way.

Like mentioned above, I think the main problem is not hat u can open and close doors it is that aliens cant do that in a efficient way.

It would make sense aliens having blast doors in control rooms, only vulnerable to C4. But then i would be cursing an GH while repeatedly going through the reaction fire annoying routine after sending a soldier in, and again after firing one shot in MY turn.

Smoke, gas, explosives, meh, id instead have trained monkeys climbing walls throwing poop at them aliens. At least they know how to do it properly. Just because "soldiers" dropping grenades at their feet is not uncommon. It's only fun the first time it happens with a fusion grenade, it's there. now it's not.

Edited by Xenomorph

It would be nice to have an random element when facing ufo doors, thinks like looked doors, doors which can only be opened once or doors missing doors. This would make every map more unique.

Soldier 1 opens door. Sees 9 aliens inside with their guns leveled straight at him.

Soldier 1: "Holy sh*t"!!!"

Soldier 2: "Close the door! Close the door!"

Soldier 1: "It won't close! It won't freaking close!!!"

Further, there should be a random behavior of the ufo camping aliens too, like storming out when a certain trigger is enabled

This too. What great panic-inducing moments could be had with these ideas :cool:

Pretty much forces you to always carry C4 though.

I would prefer having multiple options.

not sure about other weapons, but a burst from a LMG and a snap shot or 2 from a shotgun blows the locked doors in bases. you might end up taking an extra turn to kill the door if your unlucky. i just don't see that as being forced to have C4 as the only option.

It would make sense aliens having blast doors in control rooms, only vulnerable to C4.
Pretty much forces you to always carry C4 though.

I would prefer having multiple options.

i just don't see that as being forced to have C4 as the only option.

If the doors to the one area you HAVE to reach are only vulnerable to a single weapon then how does that not equate to having to carry that weapon in order to complete your objective?

I have no objection to tough doors that can be taken down with other weapons, even though shooting down a blast door with a pistol, or even a machine gun, is not exactly realistic :P

If the doors to the one area you HAVE to reach are only vulnerable to a single weapon then how does that not equate to having to carry that weapon in order to complete your objective?

I have no objection to tough doors that can be taken down with other weapons, even though shooting down a blast door with a pistol, or even a machine gun, is not exactly realistic :P

missed the only C4 part of that, for some reason in my mind i kept thinking just make them locked like the red base doors.

This is perhaps my biggest gripe with the game. It depresses me that we are approaching release with the AI in the state that it is. I was really hoping that this remake would keep and improve the things we loved from the original X-com games, not barely try to live up to them.

I know it sounds harsh but having recently replayed Terror from the Deep, the ground combat in the original just feels so much more dynamic. The Aliens in that game will regularly check the outside of their USO's, they will migrate around in their USO or hunker down in 1 location, only to then spring to life at the most inopportune moment. They feel like a real menace, almost like a thinking enemy. In Xenonauts they feel like anonymous AI in the worst sense, just waiting to be exploited.

The fact that the UFO's aren't destructible just adds to this by the way. I feel like I've played the same missions 20 times over already. A feeling I never got to that extent in the original games. I'm not saying they were perfect games either (aliens terrorizing a shipping lane was pure torture of the soul for instance), but they are still better games in many respects despite being so old which is kind of sad.

I admit it's a shame that you can't blast yourself new entryways. More hatches like with the Chinook might be also nice on some UFO's and maybe switch the soldier aliens from passive to aggressive when your team is mucking about at the doors? The landingships seem to have that but you can set up in the cargo room before they trigger. Only once I saw a team of Sebilians defending an open door.

Side hatches on bigger UFO's might create some variation and flanking opportunities so instead of rushing the front door, gathering and attack you might have to keep watch over the side doors as well or rather use one with a better entry than a guarded front door.

I think it would make a massive difference if the AI could switch modes.

Rather than an alien that is generated with passive AI always having passive AI there could be triggers to allow them to go on the offensive or aggressive aliens that get a beating could decide to become passive or defensive and retreat to the UFO.

I think it would make a massive difference if the AI could switch modes.

Rather than an alien that is generated with passive AI always having passive AI there could be triggers to allow them to go on the offensive or aggressive aliens that get a beating could decide to become passive or defensive and retreat to the UFO.

That would be awesome.

Also, in the final room in both UFOs and alien bases, the aliens will camp in the same spot not moving an inch, even if they are not in cover. This is beyond retarded. Why would they be gimped like that even AFTER you enter the room??! *sigh*

I realize my post up there (#15) sounds very negative, so I just wanted to say that there are indeed many improvements over the original games in Xenonauts. The cover system, the ability to jump obstacles, the air combat arguably (i still like the simple version in the originals just as much tho) and the way aliens get more armored as you progress. I still don't think the AI is quite up to the same level in some respects though. Door spamming is a real issue with the game that I hope gets fixed.