V22 Experimental Build 1 Released!

Firstly, if you do not know how to access the experimental branch on Steam, please read the instructions (and warnings!) in this thread. This update may be able to load saved games from V21 Stable, but we cannot guarantee they will work. It will NOT load saved games from any earlier version. If you experience bugs when loading saved games from V21 Stable, please say so when reporting the bug as that might save us a lot of trouble.

It's time to get started on the new experimental branch! The V22 branch is mainly going to be a way for us to get the latest fixes and polish updates out to you guys quicker, though we may never get to ta V22 "Stable" because we might just release the game instead!

You can see from the changelist below we have made great progress on fixes in general, but in particular we have eliminated a bunch of crashes that resulted from slightly edge-case situations - these can be quite hard to pin down so it's great to have resolved them. Chris has continued to work on balance issues, so there have been a good number of changes on that front too.

Here's the changes:

Fixes:

- Fixed a crash when a unit with a weapon that had only a burst fire mode attempted to reaction fire

- Fixed a crash when loading a game containing a mind controlled soldier

- Fixed a crash when a unit went bezerk while using a weapon with only single shot mode

- Fixed crashes that could occur if you take action during a previous running unit animation

- Fixed a bug that could cause unit reaction firing to risk hitting friendlies

- Fixed passable destroyed objects rendering on top of units

- Opening xenopedia now displays first knowledge available

- Selecting a xenopedia category now shows first item in that category

- Fix: GC music and sounds were not randomized due to a non-initialized random object

- Fixed a small error in Andron Battleship, where crew were not all appearing

- MAG weapons should now unlock (added items.xml string for Alien Assault Plasma)

- Started re-organising tileset to eliminate cross-tileset sprite use (internal change to support the eventual texture atlases)

- "Bezerk" unit now do not take action until the start of their turn (so they have full TUs)

- If hit, units now turn to face the direction the shot came from to give them a chance to react

- Praetors will no longer disappear occasionally (due to them being missing a crouch animation)

- Fixed a large number of minor tile issues, across various tile sets (incorrect alignment etc...)

- Fixed a number of missing Harridan death animations

- Fixed various instances where players could see inside the first 4 UFOs from the exterior

- Fixed a bug where Reapers emerging from Zombies could be insta-killed by the remainder of a burst

- Set the % TU costs for weapons to round up instead of round down.

- Fixed various Xenopedia typos

- Reduced the volume of the psionic power/teleport sound

- Fixed alien bases not granting the data core when captured (and thus enabling the base upgrade research)

- Fixed all stair tiles in the game to have correct spectre settings, and direct the stair climbing unit properly

- Fix: when ufo was lost from radar, only first interceptor got "Target Lost" popup

- Fixing possible blank spaces on industrial maps

- Fixed some Harridans with Sniper Plasmas appearing unarmed

- Made the "Invalid" sound a bit less loud

- Fixed interceptors not being highlighted in green when ready to launch in InterceptDialog

- Light Scout UFOs now appear as "Very Small" rather than "Small"

Additions:

- Added a significant number of new maps from the community for the farm and desert tile sets

- Alien bases now reward the player with both Alenium and Alloys when they are conquered. Larger bases grant more.

- Altered a few loading screen tips

- Added names and (placeholder) tooltips for Combat Shield and Assault Shield.

- Added strings for research projects (datacores, autopsies) that are auto-completed so they no longer display #####

- When placing first base, region information is displayed instead of base construction cost

- We now show "MAXED" as the predicted change when hovering a continent which has reached the maximum relations value

Balance:

- Made Harridans and Praetors immune to Chemical damage due to their sealed suits

- Made Caesan and Wraith officers / leaders resistant to Chemical damage due to their helmets

- Sebillians can now see through smoke

- Sebillians now regenerate 50% of their max HP every turn. Kill them quickly!

- Singularity Cannon weight and reload cost reduced somewhat (still cannot be fired without Predator armour)

- Demoted the two Caesan psionics on the final mission from Leader to Officer to reduce Mind Control spam

- Slowed down soldier rank progression by 30%

- Set stats to max out at 99 rather than 101

- Weapon suppression radius reduced by 1 for most weapons, human and alien

- Reaper attack TU cost increased from 25% to 35%

- Reduced number of mind control Caesans on battleships from max 6 to max 3, replaced numbers with some Officers

- Updated Light Drone blaster to have suppression radius 2 rather than 4

- Dread now has a 0.5x psionic strength modifier, so it should not affect entire teams every turn

- Hunter MG now fires 10 shots instead of 5

If you encounter any bugs please post them in the bugs forum, and make sure you mark them as being from the experimental build!

Balance comments can be made in the following threads:

Ground Combat: http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/9423-Ground-Combat-Balance-V22-Experimental-Build-1

Geoscape: http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/9286-Geoscape-Balance-V21-Stable-%28Hotfix%29

Edited by Aaron

Like kabill, I have the same problem with Caesans who are healing on their turn and I don`t use any mods.

Second, if I use shock batons, the game crashed.

Thanks for the confirmation.

It also seems to be the case that *my* soldiers are healing as well. I'm not 100% sure (there's no healing numbers). But I just had a guy get hit by friendly fire, and the following turn he had no grey bar to heal up to (as if he'd already healed it).

Sorry guys, should have mentioned that saved games from V21 Stable might be Ok to use with this new version - you will at least be able to load them. We cannot guarantee nothing will break though. You can always switch back and forth on the Steam branch so long as you keep your original save, so worth a try.

That Caesan regen bug is odd, I've asked the programmer to look into it.

Particularly MAG weapons. Is there a fix just for that that I can do myself?

It says so in the notes that it's fixed.

That Caesan regen bug is odd, I've asked the programmer to look into it.

I've put this is a bug report, but it's definitely happening with player units, too.

- Fixed a bug where Reapers emerging from Zombies could be insta-killed by the remainder of a burst

That was a bug? I thought it was a feature and a rather good one at that. It's only realistic that the remaining bullets can hit and kill the emerging reaper.

Me too... this is senseless each 15 days I need to start again in game and modding completly break again.

Most of the times mod are incompatible with new versions.

I give up completely

That's the whole point in the experimental and stable branches.

The experimental branch is frequently updated and has at times been updated on a daily basis to test new balance changes or push out potential bug fixes.

The stable branch is less frequently updated for people who want to put more time into playing the game rather than testing all of the latest little tweaks.

There is even a legacy branch now which archives the previous stable branch for people who were part of the way through the game and would like to continue with it before moving to the newer stable version.

If you are complaining about the speed of the changes you are clearly using the wrong version.

You might want to consider sticking with the stable version which may remain unchanged (apart from any game breaking bug fixes) for much longer then the ever shifting experimental branch.

The fact that the game is still undergoing balancing and polishing means most mods, if not all of them, will need constant updating until the final release version.

As the mods need to adjust the same files as balance changes there is little point trying to complete a mod until the game is released, even then any important updates will likely still break it.

Push out potential bug fixes.

The stable branch is less frequently updated for people who want to put more time into playing the game rather than testing all of the latest little tweaks.

Yeah, I understand well and for this reason I use experimental instead stable but pass from V21 to V22 in a month is too much. Hotfix is not a problem, they only make little changes... but erase saved games and change xml structure is hard work for modders.

If you see carefully, for V19 there are a lot of mods, in difference of V21 there is almost nothing...

Yeah I get bored from the game so I'm doing my part, bringing new shine to this game. Yeah I know that the game its underdevelopment but... seriously if you see the path that takes to version to version the game its turning more and more Ultra-Balanced/Equilibrated/Delicate/Stylish/Flavored = Boring. The passive AI let you pass about 3 rounds looking around... it's look like they aren't TAKING earth... they are taking a TOUR for holydays.

I know that no one know about the game most than Chris and developers... but come on... they can even listen to the CLIENTs for their opinions? Yeah... you'll tell me that there a topic of "suggestions for next versions", yes it is, but people are talking to a deep spaces where they found "its not considered for the game in the final version, sorry" or "yeah yeah It could be interesting".

Hey dudes, I remember you that your creating a game for two reasons, to people get FUN! and you to get MONEY!

I don't understand whats the deal

Disclaimer: I'm no been bad or shitty person, I'm open to dialog and ever looking the common benefit of everything, so chilax :cool: and again.... sorry about my english ;)

Edited by TacticalDragon

Did you expect the pace of balance changes and bug fixes to slow down in the final push before release?

I would expect the hotfixes and larger patches to get more frequent before they slow down personally.

The reason the suggestions forum has been removed is because it is too late in the production cycle to add new features.

If something is broken and needs replacing or a VERY good case can be made for something then I am sure Chris will listen to the community suggestions.

It is highly unlikely though that he is going to consider reworking whole systems or adding new features at this stage of the game without a good reason.

PSI abilities are a good example of a system that needs some severe balancing and tweaking, adding back a training system or completely reworking how the weapon tiers are built are examples of things that have been suggested many times and thrown out each time.

If they have not been added so far even when there was plenty of time for them to be developed, bug fixed and balanced then they are certainly not going to be considered now.

Sorry if you feel that being told this is somehow wrong or indelicate.

If you understand what the experimental branch is for and why it operates the way it does then I don't understand how you can consider it 'senseless' that it is used exactly for its given purpose.

Passing from v21 stable to v22 stable will be done in several stages exactly the same as all of the other versions have.

This will take the form of multiple hotfixes and patches, many of which will break save files and almost all of which will break mods.

That is the experimental branch, it is by its very definition not stable.

I still get the feeling that some people on the forum are just not understanding that the game is basically complete and is in the final stages of being honed before release, not still in the alpha stage.

The passive AI let you pass about 3 rounds looking around... it's look like they aren't TAKING earth... they are taking a TOUR for holydays.

I'm not touching the rest of the post, but you can mod the AI to be more aggressive if you want. Take a look at aiprops.xml in Xenonauts\assets\.

You might need to slightly edit the .xml files in Xenonauts\assets\ufocontents\ as well, depending on the alien race in question - changing "passive" to "aggressive" might help. If you really want, you can replace the defensive aliens inside the UFO with more aggressive ones, too...

The AI's should be activity seeking civilians to kill and even blow up some stuff with explosive for effect. They should also have 3 AI outside the UFO for defense and when they are attacked perhaps they go back into UFO for a better stand-off.

Having AI just sitting around waiting for you to bump into them is boring. They should have objectives themselves, such as;

1) Kill Civilians

2) Defend UFO

3) Damage infrastructure

Wow! Regenerate 50% of their total health or total damage?

Because the former is WAY OP. Especially in the later stages when they have 200 health.

True, one reason i stop Playing and wait for some balancing. Its booring that you Need 4-6 Rifle shoots (later) for the KI and even a Sniper rifle shot not is a Garanteed instant kill. Shotgun too Needs most two shots if you are in direct contact. Its a bit OP + i dislike the 50-150% damage thats a bit cranc. Better was 90-125%. And in later Missions (Ships, Bases, Terror whatever) 3/4 of the KI or more have this damn AOE Weapon that do 60 and more damage. Feels now a bit like UFO Aftermath where later the KI all wears Rocket launchers and hunt you through the map.

Its a bit to hardcore for me now, but eventually other Players like that. Its more a Turn like hack and slay Game now.

Gaud I understand your point, I don't feel nothing wrong ^^

Ok that you say its really true, game need balance but if you see all the proccess of the game it don't evolve in interesting tactical enviroment.

As you say, psi and other things needs balance and testing but its not the only thing that the game needs.

Long time and lot of times I congratulate goldhawk devs for making the core basic system, but they still don't take advantage of the diversity of the system and speed to be game completly engaging and adictive.

Did you try the game with double speed bullets?

Did you test the game with heavy armored exclusive units?

Did you test fight reapers that dont spawn zombies at 1 hit? (In the mod "into darkness" reapers are heavy armored claw killers, not autokill spawners).

Did you test the game with full aggressive behavior of all aliens in a crash?

Did you deal with a economy system that push you to try to take a ufo or die?

As I say you, try playing Xnats - Into Darkness and you will find the good use of the system, I predict you for sure that you can let the game appart.

In other hand we recieve a new version that fix bugs and Yay! super sebillian regen! What a great change!

I tell you again, test people mods and maybe you'll find valuable things that can be made with the system.

Personally, I'll never understand how people can sit there and say "my mod is better than the base game" when the devs are still working on it and all their mod does is piggy back on that hard work, it's sickening. The devs are not going to add/remove features just because of a single player's preference. =/

Also, if you don't like restarting your games, just stick to stable v21. If you want to be a part of all the new things, be prepared to restart. I plan on sticking to v21 until the game is complete, personally. If I opt out of all beta programs, will that do it?

Edited by ViewThePhenom