V22 Experimental Build 1 Released!

I'm not touching the rest of the post' date=' but you can mod the AI to be more aggressive if you want. Take a look at aiprops.xml in Xenonauts\assets\.

You might need to slightly edit the .xml files in Xenonauts\assets\ufocontents\ as well, depending on the alien race in question - changing "passive" to "aggressive" might help. If you really want, you can replace the defensive aliens inside the UFO with more aggressive ones, too...[/quote']

You need to pass for Mod section more often :P

Did you try the game with double speed bullets?

Did you test the game with heavy armored exclusive units?

Did you test fight reapers that dont spawn zombies at 1 hit? (In the mod "into darkness" reapers are heavy armored claw killers, not autokill spawners).

Did you test the game with full aggressive behavior of all aliens in a crash?

Did you deal with a economy system that push you to try to take a ufo or die?

1, Yes in several different mods, it is a small visual change that made no real difference to my enjoyment. However the mod posted up a year back (by Lt_Parsons I think) that tried to change the lasers from projectiles to beams was quite visually pleasing, although it didn't work 100%.

2, Not sure what you mean.

3, No, I prefer the current implementation but the forum member zzz had something similar in their creepers mod around 18 months or so ago if I remember correctly which I did play a little.

4, Yes but I prefer a more balanced approach with a mix of alien behaviours as it usually ended up with me defending the dropship rather than assaulting the aliens defending the UFO.

5, I have tried several different versions of the economy including manufacturing for profit and removing cash from manufacturing completely (funding just pays for upkeep), I prefer the latter where alenium and alloys are the only currency that matters for manufacturing.

I don't know the specifics of the balancing you have done though so it may be new to me.

I have been playing versions of this game and associated mods for over three years, there are still some mods that surprise me and do new things, which is why I look out for them.

Most of them just tailor the existing mechanics to personal preference though, like changing the music or tweaking weapon stats.

I can't play them all so I pick the ones that appear to have the most interesting new twist or use something in a way I wouldn't have thought of.

Your mod makes a few changes that I have already seen, a couple that don't really interest me and some that I dislike.

There are a few interesting balance options in there but you have buried it inside a mod so testing those balance changes involve playing a whole new game again from scratch rather than testing them within the vanilla game.

It is not a high priority for me to play it, especially when I barely have time to play the vanilla game at the moment.

I will keep watching the mod though as you do have some interesting ideas in there.

Personally, I'll never understand how people can sit there and say "my mod is better than the base game" when the devs are still working on it and all their mod does is piggy back on that hard work, it's sickening. The devs are not going to add/remove features just because of a single player's preference. =/

Also, if you don't like restarting your games, just stick to stable v21. If you want to be a part of all the new things, be prepared to restart. I plan on sticking to v21 until the game is complete, personally. If I opt out of all beta programs, will that do it?

Its no better and no one say that, mods part of the same way. Its a statistical demostration of a pro looking for versatility of the system in "Theory of game".

Personally, I'll never understand how people can sit there and say "my mod is better than the base game" when the devs are still working on it and all their mod does is piggy back on that hard work, it's sickening. The devs are not going to add/remove features just because of a single player's preference. =/

Also, if you don't like restarting your games, just stick to stable v21. If you want to be a part of all the new things, be prepared to restart. I plan on sticking to v21 until the game is complete, personally. If I opt out of all beta programs, will that do it?

Yes the beta programs are for the experimental branch and the archived previous stable branch.

If you opt out of both you will update to the latest stable which will be updated much less frequently, barring any serious bugfixes.

1, Yes in several different mods, it is a small visual change that made no real difference to my enjoyment. However the mod posted up a year back (by Lt_Parsons I think) that tried to change the lasers from projectiles to beams was quite visually pleasing, although it didn't work 100%.

2, Not sure what you mean.

3, No, I prefer the current implementation but the forum member zzz had something similar in their creepers mod around 18 months or so ago if I remember correctly which I did play a little.

4, Yes but I prefer a more balanced approach with a mix of alien behaviours as it usually ended up with me defending the dropship rather than assaulting the aliens defending the UFO.

5, I have tried several different versions of the economy including manufacturing for profit and removing cash from manufacturing completely (funding just pays for upkeep), I prefer the latter where alenium and alloys are the only currency that matters for manufacturing.

I don't know the specifics of the balancing you have done though so it may be new to me.

I have been playing versions of this game and associated mods for over three years, there are still some mods that surprise me and do new things, which is why I look out for them.

Most of them just tailor the existing mechanics to personal preference though, like changing the music or tweaking weapon stats.

I can't play them all so I pick the ones that appear to have the most interesting new twist or use something in a way I wouldn't have thought of.

Your mod makes a few changes that I have already seen, a couple that don't really interest me and some that I dislike.

There are a few interesting balance options in there but you have buried it inside a mod so testing those balance changes involve playing a whole new game again from scratch rather than testing them within the vanilla game.

It is not a high priority for me to play it, especially when I barely have time to play the vanilla game at the moment.

I will keep watching the mod though as you do have some interesting ideas in there.

Undestood and I respect yout point :cool:

I test it all, vanilla, experimental and modded, thats my work that I living for ;).

Sadly I just got a new job so work is really starting to eat into my play time ;)

I hope you don't give up on your mod as the more options there are for players the better it will be.

Yep! I never give up even if public was hard.

Count on that, I'll way when you have time and take a look on the mod. :cool:

Good luck in your new job!

Well grenades are affected by strength, movement distance is affected by strength and TU, damaging enemies is affected by accuracy, chance of panicking after losing a few friends is affected by bravery, and chance to make or avoid reaction fire is governed by your reflexes so they are all useful to have higher.

If you add a rookie into a squad of veterans you will see the difference those stats make.

It is certainly less essential now to have all of your supersoldiers survive in order to stand a chance so lower ranks actually have a place and losing a few troops is no longer virtually game over.

I think it is great that you can afford to lose some troops and I would like to see the casualty rate a little higher than it is at the moment.

Losing a soldier I have gotten attached to is a sad moment but there is no reason they shouldn't be disposable.

Feel bad, swear vengeance, move on.

Individuals shouldn't be key to the game, they should be important but ultimately there are hundreds of others waiting to replace them.

This is on the latest experimental branch? And it is primarily passivity?

I was putting off commenting on this until I'd played some of this version without mods, but personally I'm really liking the AI. There's occasional moments when it seems to freeze up - I just had a moment when two suppressed sebillians in a UFO refused to take shots on their turn - but overall the aliens have seemed aggressive and mobile. Much better than I remember it being just a handful of weeks ago.

Well, it loads battlescape okay. Also i really doubt it will crash - it worked fine with 101. I suppose the team just put in a check to limit stats going more than 99 (why not 100, but that doesn't matter). Also i've heard that players can change max values themselves, though i don''t know if it's true yet.

Haven't tried the new version yet, but the Sebillian thing sounds ridiculously OP. They're already the species I have the most trouble with without regeneration, I can't imagine how tough they're going to be with it. Are they supposed to be drastically more powerful than all the other species? Because they will be, after this. Otherwise, a small hitpoint reduction to compensate might be in order.

- Added a significant number of new maps from the community for the farm and desert tile sets

This appears to be the single most important feature that picked my interest. There was never a UFO game that had user made maps before release. Hail to fantastic diversity! YEAH!!