Training center

Over time, you have to expect the death of many soldiers ( except if you save/load or you are damn lucky ). The recruitment of new soldier is... bad. You had a soldier with stats around 80+ to soldier that merely have a 60 somewhere and 40 everywhere.

This lead me to think that you should have a training center. What should it do ? Well, train your recruit to reach a certain number in each stats, maybe 60. This would not be overpower but this would really gives player the ability to recover a little faster.

The reason why is simple, have your dropship intercept by alien interceptor and see how many soldiers will be alive after... then try to do a terror mission with rookies. It's simply over.

You could also tie in things like alien corpses and their capture so the more you know about aliens the better your recruits become which just translates into them training faster. It will also allow you to do things during down times, no aliens in your coverage for a few days? well that means training!

It was there but it didn't technically do anything except rank them from Private to Corporal. No stat bonuses really.

In my own play through recently, I have noticed what appears to be a "catch up" mechanic. My rokies would gain like 2-5 stat increases each off of cruiser and battleships we cleared out. I had been under the impression max gain was capped at 2.

As Ziggarius says, there was a training option. You could promote your soliders from Private to Corporal. There were some stat boosts, although it was slight. However, people kept complaining that the "training button didn't work". That was because they were trying to train their corporals, etc. despite the fact that above the "start training" button was a sign that very clearly said what the training button did. So Chris axed it.

It didn't really fit with what Chris was trying to do with the game.

He didn't think soldier progression should be divorced from ground combat by having a training system back in the base.

He tried the system mentioned above but it was kind of pointless in my opinion so I wasn't unhappy when he decided it wasn't worth dev time to continue with it.

I can't see him being convinced to push back release to add it back at this stage either.

I'd love to be able to boost their stats up by like 3-4 points so i can recruit 20 new soldiers then have them chill in the base for a week and come out with better stats overall. Strength, accuracy and TU's are things that you should be able to raise with training--i'd take some random 3-7 stat boosts for 2-3 days of being in training. The more information i get on aliens and the invasion in general should decrease the time and improve the performance.

I'd love to be able to get abuncha newbs strength up so that i can slap on some armor and a laser gun and throw them into a mission.

In my own play through recently, I have noticed what appears to be a "catch up" mechanic. My rokies would gain like 2-5 stat increases each off of cruiser and battleships we cleared out. I had been under the impression max gain was capped at 2.

Me too. I've been happily surprised to see my privates and corporals routinely getting +3,4,5 stat increases. My commanders and colonels get +1. This can't be accidental, and has obviously been introduced for exactly that purpose, a "catch up" mechanic

Yes the catch is nice but doesn't really help you prepare your recruits. Since the soldier you can recruit will most likely have 1 stat at 60 and all the other between 40 and 50, they will be totally useless on the battlefield. In the OG, your skyranger could not get intercepted ( which was a flaw but ... ) this mean that you could only loose soldier on the battlefield. Now you can loose the game because an alien interceptor destroy your dropship.

The other reason is because alien will come in greater number, better equipment and better quality. Why can't we prepare our soldiers to face the inevitable ? Using technology to simulate terror mission, crashed ufo or alien base eventually ( in the training center ). It should not change a lot to the gameplay if rookie can't become too good.

You can prepare your soldiers.

You send one rookie out with a crew of veterans and cycle them so everyone has some experience.

Especially if there is a catch up mechanism in place then make the most of it and send those rookies into the fight.

The final polishing stages are not the time to add a whole new feature, especially not one that has already been cut once.