[v9.0 ground combat] frozen game on reaction fire

I also have the same problem. An invisible alien inside a scout ship reaction fires at me when I walk in and the game freezes. I can move the mouse but can't click anything.

Where are the autosaves kept? If someone can point me at it, I'll post it.

Thanks

My saves are in Users/GreySciTe/documents/Xenonauts. You have to zip the save files to attach them to the forum.

My last frozen game was in that corvette mission i mentioned. In that mission i got several reaction shot hits without problems and finally freezes, when an invisible alien reaction shot me.

This was often the case but not only. I try to test it if i find the time.

Still would like to know, if there is no corvette wreck at the moment.

Edited by GreySciTe

By the way, is the crash site for a corvette already implemented? Cause i had a crash site mission of one and couldn't find the alien ship.

Well, sort of. Their Ground Combat representation is a work-in-progress, and thus a crash-landed Corvette will appear as the ill-reputed Evil Alien Shed (basically, a greyish-yellow shack of corrugated metal) for the time being.

I expect that to change before the final press build goes out, though.

Edited by iamkyon

Hi - first post, so, thanks for bringing something that keeps the spirit and feel of XCom back to our screens!

Secondly, I can't really play it yet (have pre-ordered), as I get this bug very frequently. I suppose I could not play Ironman.

Anyway, I have Xenonauts open in a debugger now, as the freeze takes place, and I have lots of useful looking debug strings logged. It seems to be looping forever on "Pending animation". For me I can recreate this 100% consistently from the save file, though it sounds like sending you that isn't going to be helpful (I will happily do so anyway).

What kind of further information can I provide to help?

Hi - first post, so, thanks for bringing something that keeps the spirit and feel of XCom back to our screens!

Secondly, I can't really play it yet (have pre-ordered), as I get this bug very frequently. I suppose I could not play Ironman.

Anyway, I have Xenonauts open in a debugger now, as the freeze takes place, and I have lots of useful looking debug strings logged. It seems to be looping forever on "Pending animation". For me I can recreate this 100% consistently from the save file, though it sounds like sending you that isn't going to be helpful (I will happily do so anyway).

What kind of further information can I provide to help?

Ok, I've poked around the forums a bit. Are these logs you speak of crash logs? Or logs that the debug mode writes somewhere else? Is there a console? I'm curious, since I failed to find much about debug mode using the forum search.

Happened to me yesterday when a reptile alien (cant remember name, lol) reaction fired at me and today when an invisible alien reaction fired. First was a scout crash, second one a corvette. To me it doesnt seem like ufo type or location of the alien has anything to do with this crash.

Here's a save that freezes for me on reaction fire.

[ATTACH]643[/ATTACH]

Move soldier 8 (should be the one behind the corvette) around the back, walk back and forth till the invisible alien (shadow on ground) reaction fires. Freezes every time for me.

I'm happy to help debug further, let me know if I can be of use. There only seems to be one reference in the code to the "Pending animation" string that is printed when the game freezes / loops. I don't have a crash dump but I guess I can send a process snapshot if that's useful.

freeze.zip

freeze.zip

Ok, I've poked around the forums a bit. Are these logs you speak of crash logs? Or logs that the debug mode writes somewhere else? Is there a console? I'm curious, since I failed to find much about debug mode using the forum search.

I don't know if there's a console or debug mode. It's not crashing so no crash logs. I'm running xenonauts in a debugger which is logging calls to OutputDebugString. I can see it getting stuck in a loop when the freeze happens but I haven't dug deep enough yet to work out why.

Same issue, happened to me twice out of three crashsites so far. Same behaviour: reaction fire message appears, cursor moves, sound plays, clicks produce click sound, but no interaction. Can Alt+Tab and back, can Alt+F4 to exit. Happened to me with both invisible and visible aliens.

Attached save-game is right before entering the workshop where it happens. Does not happen every time I enter the building, but one of the two closest soldiers always trigger a freeze (3 out of 3 so far). Screenshot shows the position of everyone once it happens (invisible alien is where the orange squiggle is).

I looked through game folders but could not locate log files, nor do I know how to enable some sort of console in regular or debug mode. If I knew i would post log messages as well.

P. S. Maybe we all should share savegames to see if it is save-game or installation-specific.

P. P. S. Tried Resis’ save-game, same for me (replicated).

2012-02-18_10.53.29.zip

reaction_freeze1.jpg

2012-02-18_10.53.29.zip

reaction_freeze1.jpg

2012-02-18_10.53.29.zip

reaction_freeze1.jpg.b2d8147c691a4923893

Edited by theUg

I believe I have a fix for this issue.

The problem seems to be a typo in assets\units\alien\caesan\noncombatant\weapon.AlienPlasmaPistol\soldier_spectre.xml

Replace caesan/weapon with caesan/noncombatant/weapon and the game is able to find the right animation. This also seems to fix the invisible alien bug for me - perhaps they are the same issue.

The problem seems to be a typo in assets\units\alien\caesan\noncombatant\weapon.AlienPlasmaPistol\soldier_spectre.xml

Replace caesan/weapon with caesan/noncombatant/weapon and the game is able to find the right animation. This also seems to fix the invisible alien bug for me - perhaps they are the same issue.

I also had the crash often, but not after doing this.

The fix seems to work! Thanks alot!

As you said, it also seems to have fixed my invisible alien bug!

Unfortunately, even after I applied this fix, I still saw a freeze at 'reaction fire' at the third crash site I entered. Too bad really, I had managed to get through two previous ground missions without any problem, and of course, didn't have a save to go back to.

Shame there's no save - it could be as simple as another typo in a different file (or maybe you missed a line when search-replacing in solder_spectre.xml?). If it's the same problem, finding out which alien and weapon would help. I did this by reloading, killing the alien that could cause freeze, and walking a guy over to check what it was.

Maybe next time :) Oh, was the alien invisible?

Shame there's no save - it could be as simple as another typo in a different file (or maybe you missed a line when search-replacing in solder_spectre.xml?). If it's the same problem, finding out which alien and weapon would help. I did this by reloading, killing the alien that could cause freeze, and walking a guy over to check what it was.

Maybe next time :) Oh, was the alien invisible?

Great find. This fixed the saved game I had uploaded to the forums. It also made the aliens appear (since it could now find the sprite file).