V21 Stable Released!

Is there a bug that causes Jackal armour to disappear? I seem to have to constantly make new armour beyond the 3 soldiers that I have lost. I had a full set of armour for each soldier but even after making 3 new armour for the replacement soldiers only half of my team has it now.

Chris took the brakes off leveling when the % firing system was put in place.
Will this be put back in? It seems really silly to have a squad of high ranking soldiers. Surely a tiered system to only allow one Captain, two lieutenants etc. would be more immersive and believable.

Not really, think it this way - these guys get ranks they would be assigned if they were in actual army not some semi-secret special forces. Also ranks don't always mean commanding rank- in soviet union rank was more like how long or how well that person served (generals excluded).

steveuk, you are under a missapprehension. It has always been possible to have squads of high ranking soliders. It's just been harder for soliders to rank up in previous builds. Others have asked for a more limited ranking system, the devs have always said they haven't seen a "compelling reason" to change the ranking structure.

Will this be put back in? It seems really silly to have a squad of high ranking soldiers. Surely a tiered system to only allow one Captain, two lieutenants etc. would be more immersive and believable.
No, I don't believe so. Although, generally speaking, rank is often assigned in the military to give appropriate pay grade to people not because of their command authority per se. For example: Medical doctors and nurses generally command no combat troops, but have high ranks because they are highly compensated in private industry. So, our elite troops probably ought to well compensated for their unique skills.

Thanks for the comments everyone.

I have been playing Xenonauts on and off for quite awhile now so I know that there is no rank system in place. I also know that in some real life elite units, many members have high ranking. But game wise, it would have been nice for soldiers promoted to actually have some bearing on the whole squad i.e. slight increase in movement, combat capabilities etc.

Still, it's a great game and I'm looking forward to the final release. Maybe then the mods will flow.

There has been another explit mentioned in another thread that is still valid: taking everything and the kitchen sink with you on a mission and then dropping them in the dropship when mission begins. The result is similar to that of the original having a pile of items on the dropship but less smart since the only limitation is the slot space for the soldiers instead of that of the dropship, and the exploit takes a lot of micromanagement while offering large advantages which makes it very desirable to do. Will this be adressed?

Playing V.21 Stable. I am not charged anything for the first item I manufacture. This includes Foxtrots and I am making as many as possible, one by one.

Workshop project costs are now deducted over time as the project progresses rather than immediately when they start. I imagine this is what you're encountering.

For ranks, it's basically just 2: the guy leading everyone and then everyone else in the mission. You, as the player, basically choose who's the leader by who you choose as the highest ranked officer in the mission (though I'm not sure what happens in ties).

Hello!! I'm new to this forum, but I have been tracking the development of Xenonauts for a few years now (thanks to Aussie PCPowerplay magazine). I regret I didn't back you up on the Kickstarter, but my adventure with crowd funding started in 2013. Anyway, I just wanted to congratulate that the game is finished (oh almost....). I know you wanted to release the game back in 2012, but the delay made the game better, that's for sure. When Fireaxis released XCOM I was disappointed, but today I am very happy that proper X-COM remake is coming out. I just have one little advice - PLEASE RELEASE THE GAME ON GOG.com (apart from Steam) - on that site there is a big crowd that is hungry for the original X-Com (it was never released DRM-free there due to some licensing issues) and old-school games sell very well over there (i.e. Legend of Grimrock), plus this game will get much better exposure on Gog.com than on Steam.

BTW: today I also found out that Nuclear Union is cancelled, and Chaos Chronicles was cancelled last year, so I'm very happy that your project is coming out! I will buy your game asap!!

I second the request for a GOG version. I will buy it again from GOG, because I love that company and always buy from them when I can. Not only do you get a drm free copy that you can truly call your own, but you also get lots of goodies, and great support.

I never was a fan of Steam, and I don't like the way that Steam is heading.

Workshop project costs are now deducted over time as the project progresses rather than immediately when they start. I imagine this is what you're encountering.

Thanks for the explanation. I stand corrected.

Well I'm quite amazed at how much progress has been made from last time I played (v19, I think). The UFO and Alien base interiors are simply superb. The combat has been revamped in a way I appreciate very much (suppression and cover mechanics deserve a thumbs-up).

Bug-wise, so far (I'm roughly around the time when aliens start spamming cruisers and battleships), the only one I've encountered is with Harridans. I don't know if it has been mentioned, but they sometimes "lose" their weapon on their sprite, meaning they run around as if they were bare-handed, until a plasma beam fires from their belly as they stand at attention on the battlefield. Nothing game-breaking at all, but I thought it was worth the mention.

I'd like to point out again how I love the in-depth descriptions in the Xenopedia, and the pictures make it even more of a pleasure to read.

Anyway, thanks again for the amazing work you did, Goldhawk, although my sleeping hours are reduced now because of the "okay, just this one mission then it's off to bed, okay just this next one then".

Edited by Ketham

@xep624. The game won't be released on GOG. When Goldhawk approached GOG... two years ago now? Back when the Kickstarter for it was anyway, GOG clearly said they didn't want Xenonauts because it was going to cost too much ($25). I doubt that policy has changed since then,

@xep624. The game won't be released on GOG. When Goldhawk approached GOG... two years ago now? Back when the Kickstarter for it was anyway, GOG clearly said they didn't want Xenonauts because it was going to cost too much ($25). I doubt that policy has changed since then,

Really? I've seen games which cost more than 25$ there. Why make Xenonauts the exception?

I think things are a lot different now. I hope Chris give's it another try. Steam is poo, and Desura is to darn slow and messy.

Hi Chris read through your fixes, but i could not find the game crash bug i had a problem with.

the bug was during alien base missions, during alien turn the game would crash when u heared the sound of drones movig about.

upon repeat loads, i found it could be from the larger drones getting stuck in doors and walls when moving through the tight corridors and over things.

did you remove the larger drones from the base maps or fix the problem some other way??

i may if missed it but hope its fixed, many an hour was spent reloading the same mission to prevent crashing.

Hello and welcome everyone.

It's my first post though I've been reading the forum on a regular basis since... I don't know v14... v13... who cares anyway. Congratulations for the team for making a dream come true for most of us here. The game had its ups and downs from time to time but v21 stable is almost perfect for me so far.

I only have one problem. Is it just me or the actual % of TU's used to shoot is not displayed anywhere? I browsed through xenopoedia, soldiers equip screen and inv but cant find it anywhere.

I think its almost essential to add this stat to the weapon description...

Anyway, keep up the good work you are all doing. Looking forward for the final release and some 10/10 in the press :)

Edited by Pafnucy

i find steam ok. never had too many problems myself to call it poo.

so what makes steam poo exactly.

yes they slap on loads of very old games and stuff and some games need tweaking before playable but i got that from hard copy formats.

If you look at there discussion forums you will see a lot of very upset bunny's of late. Steam has many problems that only seem to be getting worse. They have been disconnected on and off for most of the week.

I wonder what would happen if steam closed up shop tomorrow, or sold Steam to MS or Facebook, what would happen you all of your games?