XNATS - Into Darkness V1

TacticalDragon

XNAT- INTO DARKNESS

Inspiration Mod Based on "Way of Wolf" E. E. Knight

horror-war-of-the-worlds-desktop.jpg

Year 6 of Kurian Invasion

“The world was already a miserable place in the spring of that cursed year. The New Depression was at its height. Stocks fell, jobs were lost, and consumer consumption fell in a corporate death spiral as the aging technoczars were revealed to have feet of clay. Financial institutions underreacted, the government overreacted, and a society living on borrowed time paid for with borrowed dollars failed. Hard times and hunger came to the Western world, which was all the more of a shock because the generation that survived the last financial collapse had virtually died out.”

― E.E. Knight, Way of the Wolf

WELCOME TO THE WORLD OF XNATS - INTO DARKNESS

For weeks and months I have been working on a mod that capture the desperation of the human race in order to survive a hostile alien invasion. This intent to push the player to reach tools and strategy to counter alien invasion, submerged in a human world that slowly coming down.

GENERAL CHANGES AND MECHANICS:

- Economy: Human civilization has given you almost good resources at the start and monthly funding is near to cover maintenance. Human governments will slowly degrade until Xnats activity is auto sustainable, but at hard cost.

- Combat Dynamic : Aliens have different flaws and advantage, in term of stats, behavior and AI. They are lot more aggressive and will try to kill Xnats really quickly. The aliens become stronger, much quicker and will attack until cause nightmare.

- Weapon changes: Almost all weapons has different Tiers and advantage. The TU costs, weapon fire dynamic change a lot making the game channeling and action based (NOT OVERPOWERED, IS TACTICAL). Weapon fire mode is also simplified to make it very comprehensive and logical in based tactic situations. All weapons in the game deal Normal damage and Stun damage.

- Arts and music: Some ambient aspects of the game have been changed in this mod.

- What are you waiting Let's test it!!!!!

TACTICAL TIPS:

- Pistols have become the best weapon for rookie soldiers, at a low distance can be very practical but lack of potential in distance.

- Rifles is one of the most important type of weapon in the game, their capacity of multipurpose make this weapon the main pillar of defense but be careful, you'll need other weapons.

- Sniper weapons has unique propose of deal enemies at high range and good against heavy armored enemies, but in close combat deal no too much damage compared to other type of weapons.

- Explosive is almost a necessary nightmare for you, the range and damage capacity is increased, placing some grenades is painful but can turn the tide for you. Aliens may use explosive too, but not all races use grenades, be careful if you deal an enemy that use explosives.

- Machine guns are a suppression and heavy, powerful weapons, can shoot multiple targets, deal with huge amount of enemies, but low accuracy and ammo capacity can be the issue. In other hand, this weapon behaves like Light Machine Gun.

- Manufacture! The world is in war and humanity claim for basic and affordable Armors and Weapons for their troops. Share that capacity with the world and maybe they can survive with you.

- Research! Twenty men won’t be enough, you'll need to make more divisions of research, expand the knowledge of the enemy is the only way to win the war!.

TECHNICAL NOTES:

- Be careful using C4 and high capacity explosives, in some PC with a low processors cause crash.

- Use V21 - Experimental hotfixed

If you find a crash or want to give some contribution (Specially for Air combat)

I'll appreciate it!

DOWNLOAD LINK

CURRENTLY DURING DEVELOPMENT

COMPLETE PACK DOWNLOAD

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jip8nojn70u7kbh/XNATs%20-%20Into%20Darkness%20V1.47%20compatible%20V22H1.rar

Core Mod - No music and background changed - Experimental

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mcgczhmj6psg2v0/XNATs%20-%20Into%20Darkness%20V1.47%20CORE%20V22H1.rar

HOW TO INSTALL:

1. Copy Xenonauts main directory.

2. Download Lastest XNATs - Into Darkness (Current V1.47) and Balance Fix Patch (IF ANY!)

3. Extract all the content in "Assets" directory inside xenonauts installation root folder.

4. Override all files.

5. Run Launcher in Xenonauts directory and Enjoy!

XNATS- INTO DARKNESS CONTENT

List of changes:

- Aliens has unique stats, armor plus and cons, habilities and reactivity.

- Alien and human weapons dynamic has changed in terms of Range, TU%, Damage and Modes.

- All bullets in game move more fastest.

- Research tree has change

- Manufacture cost and selling has change.

- Invasion AI has change and world founding gives only good money at start.

- Money and resources is sustained by Captured UFOS, Crash and Manufacture.

- Your starting soldiers stats has been modified, deal aliens for them is really hard, you will need to teach them slowly.

- Ballistic weapons are usable and needed for almost all the game.

- You'll learn to lose and retreat.

Alien Mayor Changes:

- Reapers's hability to make Zombies is reduced and his resistance make this unit hard tank in melee combat.

- Caesans has great vision and reflexes, making the player think flank and cover in advance.

- Sevillians behave like crazy kamikaze soldiers, his natural armor make then resilient and hard in combat.

- Androns is heavy armor killing machine, his great accuracy and armor make this enemy one of the most nightmares in combat. The player is forced to prepare his rocket luncher to deal with this beasts.

- Harridan is one of the most channeling enemies in combat, its the glass cannon of aliens, they move quick and use deathly weapons. BEWARE, learn to use reaction shots!!! You will need it.

- All Drones use special kind of high impact ammunitions, they deal low damage but most of the armors is worthless against it.

Other Combat changes:

- Weapons damage is reduced in huge amount, its more probable at advanced game that one soldier dies by wounds instead of On-Shot-Kill.

- Healing wounds is hard, storage consuming and slow.

- Any weapon has different roles in combat.

- Armor is damage during combat and loose effectiveness.

- Explosives range, area and damage is changed.

- Lot lot more changes

WHATS NEXT IN THE NEXT RELEASE?!!!

- New weapons and research (Advanced Ballistics)

- New research.

- Unique and Home-Made professional arts.

- More and more of this fantastic music!

COMING SOON (If I can or if community give me his feedback :D)

THANKS FOR PLAYING!

PD/ Sorry about my English again... I suck at it ... Hard!

TACTICAL BEGIN TIPS!

Read carefully this quick tip guide before start:

Global Defense Plan

- Think carefully where to put the initial base and air-defense spots.

- Remember put any construction for Base defense, your air-defense spots not have ground defenses.

- Optional you can construct garage to defend defense-spots with tanks.

- Use other bases as research divisions, many of the most complex technologies in this game result hard to reach if you dont have multiple bases researching.

Ground Combat

- At the beginning Plasma alien weapons result deadly to human XNats.

- We recommend hire bad soldiers as scouts and meat shields.

- Much of the aliens will shot at first instantly see a human.

- Try to keep you initial soldiers alive.

- Assume that the worst thing will happen in terms of morale, plan the place which you soldier can fall in panic safety.

- Don't expose Xnats near black zones where you don't know which alien can stay.

- Use explosives, your will need it for all the game, even if they result in lost of some money and equipments.

- Try always to use COVER!, explosives, suppression and find the best position, open terrain is too dangerous, search alternative ways to deal with a situation.

KEEP PLAYING, DON'T PANIC AND ENJOY!

hiddenmovement.jpg

horror-war-of-the-worlds-desktop.jpg

hiddenmovement.jpg

horror-war-of-the-worlds-desktop.thumb.j

hiddenmovement.thumb.jpg.9cf7cfa04329058

Edited by TacticalDragon
PACK V1.47 UPDATE V22

I love how AR's are more shooty and i'm constantly spraying all over the place instead of barely getting more shots off. It has definitely improved the pace of combat with more bullets flying. A guide on how to install this would be nice since i think it doesnt work with 21 stable. Is it possible to have all of the different weapon types available? I noticed that i couldn't see any of the new ones ingame but that could be due to them being in sub folders.

Are the weapons physically different or is it just the sprites?

Thanks Arghy,

The weapon system is designed to be more easy to comprehend, when you play for a time, you quickly know that Rifles has 3 single/burst shots in a turn, 1 aimed + 1 single/burst and so on for each weapon. The carabines and shotguns its not a weapon to "aim", so the mode of that weapon is only single shot.

This mod is constructed over V21 Experimental, but for some reason I mix up lot of files...

I'm constructing the mod suited to current V21 Experimental version.

Which build did you use? Weapons images and research has minor changes for now.

I'm planning add diferent of types of sub techs for "Advanced Ballistics" and "Advanced Lasers".

I checked the experimental builds but the launcher says v21 stable. Do i have to unpack the different ballistic weapons to get them ingame? i cant select them ingame but that may be due to them being in separate folders or does that not matter?

@OP It looks like you are using the community map pack in your mod but I don't see an acknowledgement of the original authors anywhere.

Might want to post in this thread and have an acknowledgement file in the mod.

Don't want people to think you are claiming their work as your own.

A link to the mod thread if it has one should be sufficient.

I checked the experimental builds but the launcher says v21 stable. Do i have to unpack the different ballistic weapons to get them ingame? i cant select them ingame but that may be due to them being in separate folders or does that not matter?

Thanks Arghy for playing.

The new weapons still not implemented, in the news release I'll add Automatic Pistols, Heavy pistols, Infantry Pulse Laser, Laser SubMachinegun and lot lot more!

I ask for help of the Devs to fix major code errors in this mod.

:)

@OP It looks like you are using the community map pack in your mod but I don't see an acknowledgement of the original authors anywhere.

Might want to post in this thread and have an acknowledgement file in the mod.

Don't want people to think you are claiming their work as your own.

A link to the mod thread if it has one should be sufficient.

Thanks Gauddlike for the remembering,

Any feedback or comment about this mod I'll really appreciate it

:cool:

Might clear up some room and copy the entire folder so i can play the current xenonauts and the mod because atm you have to delete half the game and verify to uninstall mods and thats really annoying haha. I love what you did with the AR's, totally going to copy that to the vanilla game regardless. Its so damn fun to have my soldiers squeeze off multiple inaccurate bursts rather then single shots--these are goddamn aliens! your scared shitless and bullets are free you should be hosing down anything suspicious.

Is it possible to add another burst function? like the standard 3(?) round burst being the cheap one then a more accurate 5-10 round burst being the expensive one. The goal would be to have them dump bullets down range when they need to and if you increased the alien count per mission you'd have a much more action packed mission.

After encountering the androns i'd also like to request special ammo types haha or atleast an AP ammo that does better damage to androns/disks because dear god they are frightening as hell when encountered with ballistic weapons haha.

Tactical Tip!!!

Androns are machines and as a result they are vulnerable to explotions. Try using rocket, granades or tanks to deal with androns, they are really HARD.

Thanks for playing Arghy, in other hand Burst- Automatic fire is not the best choice in all situation, try using aimed or snaps in some situations.

:cool:

EDIT: Ohh! I forget to tell you, Sniper weapons may have enough power to deal with androns armor

Androns Fight.jpg

Androns Fight.jpg

577e7ccb2477c_AndronsFight.jpg.fd8224074

Edited by TacticalDragon

Might clear up some room and copy the entire folder so i can play the current xenonauts and the mod because atm you have to delete half the game and verify to uninstall mods and thats really annoying haha. I love what you did with the AR's, totally going to copy that to the vanilla game regardless. Its so damn fun to have my soldiers squeeze off multiple inaccurate bursts rather then single shots--these are goddamn aliens! your scared shitless and bullets are free you should be hosing down anything suspicious.

Arg

Is it possible to add another burst function? like the standard 3(?) round burst being the cheap one then a more accurate 5-10 round burst being the expensive one. The goal would be to have them dump bullets down range when they need to and if you increased the alien count per mission you'd have a much more action packed mission.

After encountering the androns i'd also like to request special ammo types haha or atleast an AP ammo that does better damage to androns/disks because dear god they are frightening as hell when encountered with ballistic weapons haha.

In other hand Carabines and shotguns is High-Penetration weapons in this mod, close range but effective.

Any comment are welcome

Most people have just updated to the latest stable build and are likely trying the new official features they have not yet seen.

The devs are also working on balancing the official game so are unlikely to have time to try out all of the mods currently being worked on.

There has never been any offer of support on mods from the devs as far as I know so complaining of bad support is a bit off.

You have made a lot of changes and look to be planning many more.

Personally I don't have much free time so I would normally wait for the finished version.

If you are just trying to demonstrate a specific set of alternative balance changes and would like feedback then I would isolate them as much as possible and give as much detail as you can, including the reasoning behind them.

As you seem to be making a larger mod then I would expect it to attract people once they have played a lot of the original game and are looking for a change.

Yeah i try to put in a few hours of testing on vanilla at the very least before trying the mods. Once i finish my current vanilla game i'll try to do some play throughs of your mod to give you some bug reports/balance problems.

Little Video Showing differences in Caesans behavior and weapons dynamics.

PUT IT ON HD 720p

- Explosions make larger areas and exclusive incendiary damage (Lot of units lacks on defense against incendiary)

- Caesan skill is have great reaction fire, shot instantly in most circumstances.

- Alien units are more aggressive and look for xenonauts until massed.

- Automatic weapons fire bullets depending on amount of AP wasted.

- Most of the times shoots don't kill at hit, they cause lot of wounds, increasing difficulty and making more realistic the resilence of humans in combat.

- Shotguns are high perforation low damage pellets, at short range.

- Music in the video is part of the mod.

More videos uploading soon.... "Alien Base Failure" and "How to deal with mechas"

Edited by TacticalDragon

Im really surprised about the bad support and curiosity of community members, and devs.

I quit uploading the mod for now but keep working.

I'm professional on statistics and made this mod to show alternative rules set, derived from calculation analisys.

Thanks

The latest stable build was just released and the game isn't even finished yet. It's too early to call out the community and devs for bad support when they aren't even done with the base game. Best bet is to wait until the release imo, you're asking for too much if you expect major support at this stage.

Andron Crash Site (I'm lucky that 2 androns die during crash :$)

- Heavy armored units

- Improved movement and aim for mechanical units

- Reduced total life of Androns but Armor is critical improved.

- TIP: Use heavy fire only against Androns, reduce at much as possible. Explosives and Rockets needed.

- Drones have special perforating rapid fire weapon that ignore armors but does low damage, this is the suppression ram unit of the aliens, EXTRA CARE your heavy armor units for Light Drones and Medium Drones.

Thanks for watching!

PD/ Sorry for that watermark... its annoying =/

Edited by TacticalDragon