Forest Maps?

Gorzahg

Okay, I only had time to test one map and it turned out a Scout so it was over pretty quickly. In a nutshell, it works, it's beautiful and it does feel like a jungle. I can imagine these maps will be a major pain in the rear with Reapers present. It is very hard to control LoS. Some screenshots:

tropical1.jpg

tropical2.jpg

tropical3.jpg

tropical4.jpg

tropical1.jpg

tropical2.jpg

tropical4.jpg

tropical3.jpg

tropical1.jpg.00eb196ab0ef18c9daa0e0e655

tropical2.jpg.63763b792a2eca0e5fdac23e4e

tropical4.jpg.b90c0b5e346b651e8f123daf81

tropical3.jpg.6e2e94d469bf47b89fb1283231

The maps for the scout is made by TT3 - so due credit goes there.

But yeah - Im totally in love with this tileset as well. Jungle maps with reapers should be the thing to fear!

EDIT: And isnt that hybris... My first battleship was shot just now down in the Amazonas... And now my squad is facing off sebillians and reapers in the green hell! (Predator anyone?)

Edited by Frakel

Oh my... incredible. Only looking at the pictures I am totally blasted away.

And then I look at my own feeble mapping issues...

...feels like me wanting to start playing guitar and hearing Pink Floyd, DireStraits or (old) Metallica and...uhm...stopped it due to lack of patience to wait for the change tedious work to delight.

Yup, this works, and is amazing. Thank you good sir. Thankfully I went in during daylight, since it's claustrofobic. Potshots coming at your troops from the jungle. This at night? Nope. :cool:

Couple screenies, it sure is pretty. And fun.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5273/14569419644_8f03d78575_h.jpg

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5501/14569417484_c6580f8a73_h.jpg

One suggestion, more tall grass could work great in these (unless that is present in other maps already), like in the farms where it leaves trail behind characters.

Edited by kahvipannu

Thanks for the feedback.

Just to let you know, Im still working on this - but since this is my first attempt at modding/mapping Xenonauts progress is rather slow. I am learning as I go along though...

Currently Im using the Swamp tiles and props allready in the tileset to make some swamp submaps (and eventually maps).

After that I plan on adding a modified version of the tall grass and corn from the farm tileset to make some savanna submaps (and eventually maps).

It is my goal to expand the current jungle tileset into a mere general tropical tileset.

Once Ive got some decent work of my own to show you, Ill launch a proper thread for the map pack. But at this point Its still 95% the work of others (TT3 and zzz), so I don´t really feel that I can post anything yet.

Frakel, once you're done with this, I'd be happy to add the tileset to the game as a 'proper' Jungle tileset rather than faking being a Tundra.

And if someone makes a similar Forest tileset, I can add it as well.

What I would suggest though is perhaps creating a third tilesetmask image (i.e. tilesetmask3.png) so that there are three possible tileset types per area. Though maybe that's not necessary.

The tileset code, while all hard-coded, is not *too* complicated so I would be happy to add a bunch of tilesets.

I'd really like an AsianTown and SouthAmericanTown tileset for example, as well as perhaps a SovietBase and NATOBase tileset (for implementing the stretch goal of military base missions).

Ideally, I'd like to externalize tilesets so that modders can add them without having to change the code. But in the meantime, adding them to the sourcecode is the only way.

The latter project is quite a bit more work and would require some design time on my part.

bonds0097 that is very good news indeed!

Would it be possible to include a new tileset for terrorsites as well? The middleeastern tileset could do very well with at set of specifically made maps with lot of buildings and civilians...

Regarding the tropical maps:

Realistically it will be several weeks before this is a decent mappack (especially since Im away from home during most of july). Currently it consists of five maps only...

It needs more props, more submaps, more maps...

bonds0097 that is very good news indeed!

Would it be possible to include a new tileset for terrorsites as well? The middleeastern tileset could do very well with at set of specifically made maps with lot of buildings and civilians...

Regarding the tropical maps:

Realistically it will be several weeks before this is a decent mappack (especially since Im away from home during most of july). Currently it consists of five maps only...

It needs more props, more submaps, more maps...

Regarding terror maps, yes.

To elaborate:

There are two types of tilesets in the game, Tilesets and TownTilesets. When any non-terror mission happens, a TileSet is used based on the location of the mision and the color of tilesetmask.png or tilesetmask2.png (this is selected randomly).

When a terror mission happens, TownTilesets are used. There are only two, Town and SovietTown. The tileset is selected based on the location of the mission and corresponding color of townmask.png. If you add a MiddleEasternTown tileset or what have you, we'd just pick a new color and paint it into townmask.png so that terror missions in the middle east get the appropriate tileset.

To be clear, terror missions never use non-Town tilesets and non-terror missions never use town tilesets.

There's actually additional tileset types but those are one-offs specific to a given mission type (xenonautbase, alienbase and finalmission).

Hmm, to make the middle eastern tileset work in a terror map, you'd probably need lots of new assets. That, or you'd at least need to make pretty amazing job to differentiate the new terror maps from the regular midle eastern crash site maps.

What we really need is "mountain" tileset and "asian" tileset. But making those would require immense dedication, skill and time.

Yup, this works, and is amazing. Thank you good sir. Thankfully I went in during daylight, since it's claustrofobic. Potshots coming at your troops from the jungle. This at night? Nope. :cool:

Couple screenies, it sure is pretty. And fun.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5273/14569419644_8f03d78575_h.jpg

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5501/14569417484_c6580f8a73_h.jpg

One suggestion, more tall grass could work great in these (unless that is present in other maps already), like in the farms where it leaves trail behind characters.

very good maps !!!

should be added official to the game !

___

• 1 month later...