Forest Maps?

Gorzahg

Seeing as they're trees, the value of painting over a 3D model doesn't seem incredibly valuable as a development process. I think hand-painted trees from scratch would do just fine. Maybe even hand-painting over a picture would be the best way to save time.

As an expansion idea, I think zones of forest would be pretty darn useful. Some significant percentage of the world is still forest IMHO.

Edited by Xitax

All of the other in game objects use the 3D model and are all rendered from the exact same angles.

I imagine the trees were done the same way to ensure no conflicts or odd perspective shifts.

If they were hand drawn even a couple of degrees off from all of the other objects it could have looked quite odd.

That isn't to say it couldn't be done another way but I think there is definitely some value to sticking to the same process if it is possible.

Finding enough pictures to paint over for a varied tileset that share the same perspective as the other objects in the game could be difficult for example.

I made this mockup in literally less than 10 minutes just to show that you could make pretty convicing forest just by using the existing assets. I'm not going to do the tileset, but it's relatively easy to do if someone wants to take the time and colorize the props.

8gjAVRs.jpg

Looks awesome! Can make some wooden buildings like a hunting cabin out of the farm set?

He just lost interest and account password.

I slap together some maps,not so enthusiastic currently, you can try what it was about. http://www.mediafire.com/download/op3o1eh7wh71ueu/J21.7z

Cyt90E7.jpg

I´ve tried playing around with these maps in the level editor and I got to say that it looks really awesome!

The assets are really cool and organic looking - its a whole different feel than some of the other very "squarish" tile sets.

The sub-maps are also of a high quality. I especially like the way the trees and jungle paths are implemented - the swamps and "cliffs" are also really cool.

I you don't mind, I would like to continue the work with this tile set, and create some more maps and sub-maps for the game.

Anyone? 0fWl5YI.jpg

This looks really cool. It has a somewhat northern feeling too it. How does it work if you mix in some deciduous trees as well?

If you are mixing this in with the farm tile set, perhaps you could make some maps that contains both these rural areas as well as the outskirts of a regular farm. (It always bothered me, that the farm maps seems to be only fields and farm-house, with no "wild" nature of any kind…)

So - I´ve started experimenting with the jungle tileset provided by TT3.

I can load the maps in the level and sub-level editor, but I cant figure out how to test them in the game using quickbattle.

The trouble is that the tiles are stored in a jungle tileset folder, but the maps are stored in a sub folder to the desert maps. I guess this is because the game doesnt support new tilesets at the moment...

Anyways - I cant help thinking, that if I can load a level in the level editor without problems, then I should be able to load it in the game as well.

Any thoughts on this?

He just lost interest and account password.

I slap together some maps,not so enthusiastic currently, you can try what it was about. http://www.mediafire.com/download/op3o1eh7wh71ueu/J21.7z

Cyt90E7.jpg

I think it's the fact that they're in a subfolder. The maps really need to be in a folder in the same place as the other map types, as the file structure is important to how the game finds and loads many assets (including maps).

That said, putting the maps in a "jungle" folder won't help much in game, as there's no way to make the game use them. Your best bet would be to expropriate the "tundra" map type instead. This comes with a number of problems, though. Firstly, you'll need to specify tundra areas on the continent terrain masks in earth/continentmasks. This will allow the game to actually use the tileset type. Secondly, I think you'll need to move all of the map tiles into tiles/tundra and re-do all of the image file paths in the spectres to reflect this. Otherwise, the game won't be able to find the images. (It's possible you might need to redo any submaps you've made as well, as the game might not be able to find where you've moved the spectres to).

Bear in mind that I've not done any of this and might be wrong on some or all points. But that's my understanding of what you'd need to do.

Re-doing the submaps is not required. You can just open all the sub map files with notepad++ and mass replace all tile paths to point in correct folder.

Thanks both of you for your help. Ill try that approach. For now, Ill move the files to the tundra tileset - and hope that at one point we will be able to add as many new tilesets that we want to the game.

I dream of ricefields, mounatain terraces, african and asian cityscapes... :D

I think it's the fact that they're in a subfolder. The maps really need to be in a folder in the same place as the other map types, as the file structure is important to how the game finds and loads many assets (including maps)

Maps in archive is in the same "desert" folder with all other deset maps. Tiles in subfoldier but this is where submaps will look for them. Everything worked fine and Level editor still load maps correctly. Maybe something was changed in how game load tiles and it load it differently from editor, and they changed some rules again, so I don't know.

Quick battle don't work now for me too.

Edited by TT3

Following the advice of Kabill and Skitso, I´ve just now been able to get the maps to work in quickbattle.

Next up is to mod the geoscape to include areas of "tundra" (since the jungle tileset currently uses that file location).

Then Ill add some "quick and dirty" maps for the larger UFO´s, and then (hopefully) I should be able to upload a "proff of concept" mod shortly :).

Is it done already? :)

Before I make a proper thread for this, I would like you to test if it works...

This is the link:

Tropical Maps v. 0.1 for Xenonauts v. 1.07

From the read me:

Tropical Maps version 0.1

Compatible with: Xenonaut version 1.07

Credits:

Tropical tileset by ZZZ provided by TT3

Maps and submaps by TT3

Tileset, maps and submaps made compatible to Xenonauts v. 1.07 by Frakel

Additional maps and submaps by Frakel

Files changed:

assets/strings.xml - "Tundra" changed to "Tropical"

assets/strings.xml - "Farm" changed to "Rural"

assets/strings.xml - "Middleeastern" changed to "Shrubland"

assets/earth/continentmasks/tilesetmask1.png - tundra (jungle) areas added - other areas redone

assets/earth/continentmasks/tilesetmask2.png - tundra (jungle) areas added - other areas redone

Files added:

assets/maps/tundra - tropical maps added

assets/tiles/tundra - tropical tileset added

To do:

add more Tropical submaps (swamp, cliffs)

add more Tropical maps (swamp, cliffs)