V21 Stable Candidate Released!

NOTE THIS IS A STABLE CANDIDATE, IT IS STILL ONLY ON THE EXPERIMENTAL BRANCH FOR NOW!

Firstly, if you do not know how to access the experimental branch on Steam, please read the instructions (and warnings!) in this thread. All saved games from earlier versions (including experimental versions) are incompatible, attempting to load them will cause problems.

This build is our candidate for promotion to the main Steam branch next week, unless we find anything show stopping. We were able to fix the major issues that were found with the last experimental, and as you can see from the change list below we have otherwise mostly been working on a variety of relatively minor fixes and improvements, and finishing a few long standing things like rendering ground images for all items in the game.

Fixes:

- Fixed: psionic attack message could stay on screen after an attack was finished (fixes the "beserk crash")

- Fixed aliens not using TU if no Xenonaut sighted during their turn

- Fixed extremely slow loading in full screen mode

- Fixed medical kits behaving strangely in diagonal healing

- Fixed misaligned vehicle 50cal image

- Darkened background image for soldier equip screen

- Fixed some ##### strings on Vehicle Equip screen

- Fixed bug with Sebillian Soldier appearing unarmed when equipped with an Assault Plasma

- Fixed issues with vehicles (props only!) becoming invisible when in the destroyed state

- Fixed a variety of problems in submaps where vehicles were positioned incorrectly

- Fixed some mis-set grenade / C4 throw animations for advanced armours

- Fixed stun gas being deadly for unarmoured Xenonauts

- Fixed pressing space on the victory screen displaying the loss screen (!)

- Grenade selector menu now shows correct grenade throw cost

- Pressing Next/Prev buttons on Airplane equip screen did not show an empty window if hangar was not full

- 0/0 civilians/local forces saved score is now rated Excellent, rather than Terrible

- Not showing ammo load percent if magazine fully loaded

- A few Xenopedia typos / inconsistencies fixed.

- Fixed: shotguns caused no suppression if they didn't have a burst fire mode defined

- Now in missions with the Valkyrie dropship the player gets the first turn the deployment phase

- Key final mission doors are now only openable by players

- Corrected ammo clip sizes for some alien weapons

- Fixed: vehicles didn't spend and sometimes gained TUs when firing their weapons

- Fixed: flashbangs and other throwables caused no suppression damage against enemies that passed a reaction check against the thrower

Additions:

- Added "ground" images for all weapons and equipment in the game

- Even more revisions to the final mission, and new art (still not final, need prop paint-overs + new floors!)

- New Game Over screens (victory/eradicated/bankrupt)

- Aliens now have +25% accuracy on Insane, - 10% ACC on Normal and -25% ACC on Easy difficulty levels

- Added hovering animations for the Harridans

- Added an Alien Assault Plasma research project to the game

- Added final praetor injury animation

- Added Xenopedia descriptions to Alien Assault Plasma and the Singularity Cannon

- Gave singularity cannon a better looking animation, projectile and blast

- Updated general unit shadows to be a little softer

Balance:

- Predators now have 0.65x TU fire costs (MG burst costs 52% TU)

- Vehicle weapon fire costs doubled to account for % TU costs rather than static ones

- Snap shot costs for most weapons increased from 25% TU to 28% TU

- Made morale events less likely to occur and reduced the morale damage from some events (civilian death, wounded penalty)

- Reaction fire bonus of pistols and shotguns (humans and alien) reduced from 2x to 1.5x

- Nerfed the Reflexes scaling of Androns a bit.

- MG and MG derivatives now have 30 round capacity, but 75 recoil

- Reduced the Alenium cost of new aircraft / vehicles by 50-70%

- Added Alien Alloy cost to manufacturing aircraft and vehicles

- Reduced the relative $ and Alloy cost of MG and sniper rifle derivatives

- MGs and MG derivatives now have 0.5x Reaction Fire modifier

- Soldier starting values are now 35-65 in each stat (starting squad still have +5)

- Updated Singularity Cannon stats to be ludicrously powerful

- Disabled reaction fire on rocket launcher/singularity cannon

Please post your comments on the build here. If you encounter any bugs please post them in the experimental build sub-forum of the bugs forum.

If you want indepth discussion of game balance, please use the following threads:

Ground Combat balance thread

Geoscape balance thread

I'm a bit miffed that my ten hours in 21v.6 are gone but I'm also glad as some much needed improvements to things like panic have happened. Now I'm wondering if I should just wait for the finished product. What's going on with Collossus armor and the Saracen? Are they in there?

Singularity Cannon?

Do you mean "torpedo" by any chance or are you making a fifth tier of weaponry. I can kinda see it, after so long the Preators at the homeworld/most advanced colony get frustrated and send all their big, new, and most expensive toys to the assault on Earth because they feel the Xenonauts are humiliating them.

Two questions. Did you find the cause of or fix the Equipment Tab crash? Also, I can still see my save games from the last build in the folder, but can't load them for version differences I assume. Is there a way I can get a save from the last version to load in the new? I've seen the "saved game disappeared" thread and that's not what I'm talking about. I mean literally using a old save in the new version. Perhaps editing the version number in the sav file its-self. If not I'll start over, no worries, but if I can I'd like to save my last 3 days of work assuming it won't carry any bugs over with it.

Appreciate the help, and keep up the great work. :)

Edited by RavenX

Open config.xml

Find <PercentageWeaponCosts>1</PercentageWeaponCosts>

Set that to 0

Job done.

ah.. not really.. cuz then all costs for all weapons are set to % values

edit weapons_gc.xml in assets folder ...

very much prefer war over pot shots....

Edited by Phiveaces
grammer

The new on the ground item graphics are super nice. It's a shame we don't get to see them too much when the units die as the corpse drops on them. It could be a nice effect to see all the equipment scatter around the body when it goes down...?

Open config.xml

Find <PercentageWeaponCosts>1</PercentageWeaponCosts>

Set that to 0

Job done.

ah.. not really.. cuz then all costs for all weapons are set to % values

edit weapons_gc.xml in assets folder ...

very much prefer war over pot shots....

Max is correct that changing that flag will make the game read the TU costs in weapons_gc as flat TU costs instead of percentages which is what was asked.

It is also true that the TU costs may need to be adjusted on an individual basis as 25% doesn't always translate to 25 TUs without causing some balance issues.

I guess that depends on how much needs to be changed before it hits the stable branch.

If it is just a few changes to xml files for balance then it should be fine, if there are any bugs that involve adjustments to the exe then saves will likely be broken.

In general it is best to assume they will be broken.

If I get this now on the Experimental. Will I lose my saves when V21 Stable is out?
I guess that depends on how much needs to be changed before it hits the stable branch.

If it is just a few changes to xml files for balance then it should be fine, if there are any bugs that involve adjustments to the exe then saves will likely be broken.

In general it is best to assume they will be broken.

There "might" be a way we can avoid that with a stable build being pushed from experimental to stable in Steam. When they push this to the stable branch, if they also leave the exact same version on the experimental branch, then when the update hits, switch steam to the "stable" build and not the "experimental" and you're saves and the game exe should stay the same.

Once they change the experimental build again though, if your Steam isn't set to the stable setting, you'll get the next experimental build and loose your saves unless you "roll back" to the stable build.

It would take timing on our end and maybe a little "heads up incoming experimental build" post from Aaron so we'd have a window to change our settings. It could work though.

Well Impressed with this new build, I was up all night playing it without a single bug or crash .. thanks!

Yes, i agree. I really appreciate the speed boost on loading screen also. It was painful to wait so long with a game installed on a SSD...

There "might" be a way we can avoid that with a stable build being pushed from experimental to stable in Steam. When they push this to the stable branch, if they also leave the exact same version on the experimental branch, then when the update hits, switch steam to the "stable" build and not the "experimental" and you're saves and the game exe should stay the same.

Once they change the experimental build again though, if your Steam isn't set to the stable setting, you'll get the next experimental build and loose your saves unless you "roll back" to the stable build.

It would take timing on our end and maybe a little "heads up incoming experimental build" post from Aaron so we'd have a window to change our settings. It could work though.

That will only wok if this is the actual build that gets pushed to the Stable branch. There might be another release candidate that breaks saves before the Stable release.

Well Impressed with this new build, I was up all night playing it without a single bug or crash .. thanks!

Confirm. Both lack of problems and getting less sleep due to the game. Same feeling like with best of the best: UFO, Civilization ... e.g. "just one more turn" and "only this tech and I am done" symptoms.

Can you post insomnia inducing as a bug do you think?

Nah, that system is working as intended now :)

Re: save games, unless we find major bugs in the game then this version will become the Stable version and the save games will work fine. But if we need to make fixes before then, that might break save games. So it's hard to say with certainty.