SmilePic

Ufo2 Extraterrestrials

nothing to be remotely ashamed of in liking it. The vanilla version was just fine, and the modded version very enjoyable. I think I played with too many mods when they had the original X-Com soldiers appearing as reinforcements in addition to the CAF Soldiers. It wasn't short of options, that's for sure...

I see they removed the release date on the ufo2extraterrestrials website, and put the project as "in developement".

Are we ever going to see the game? :(

There's an ad on there for a C++ programmer but to work on Battle for Mercury. Is this a further game or an error in naming the second one?

I notice that UFO Scene has ceased to be. That was the fun place to get mods and news and make suggestions etc for the game. I liked that one.

Honestly, I thought the above post was going to say that the game was due in a week. Bah...

I just noticed that there will be sea missions as well as land ones, and it looks as though you may have a navy to upkeep. Assuming, they know all the TFTD pitfalls, it sounds very interesting. That was probably on there years ago, and I've just read it D'Oh!

Edited by thothkins

I'm afraid this is going to be another x-com clone that bites the dust before ever being released. To bad, I really enjoyed the first one's gold edition

I don't know why most people don't like UFO:ET, i definitely had fun with vanilla and with mods it was a really good game. Despite it's faults for me it is even superior (as a whole) to the new XCom.

I don't know why most people like it, either, but I didn't like it because the gameplay was bland and boring and the graphics ranged from okay to horrible.

Where the old X-Com or Apoc were pixelated, UFO:ET was ugly in high resolution.

I don't know why most people like it, either, but I didn't like it because the gameplay was bland and boring and the graphics ranged from okay to horrible.

Where the old X-Com or Apoc were pixelated, UFO:ET was ugly in high resolution.

I aggree on the graphics and have to add the interface and controls in general too, they where just horrible. A open (even closed) beta would have helped that game so much.

But don't know about the bland gameplay, just started a new game with GrayFiend's UniMod and so far the game is fun. But than i was one out of the few people that liked TFTD more than the first XCOM :P

Just out of curiosity (not for trying to contradict or to argue with you), do you have some examples of bland gameplay in mind? Or is it just a general feeling you get when playing the game?

Examples were that you always needed to invest 1-2 "level ups" into accuracy before doing anything interesting with the soldier.

Things you must always do are a chore, not a choice.

An obvious alternative would have been to generate soldiers with useful stats. (I'm no master marksman but I can easily hit a man-sized target at 200m using a rifle with just iron sights!)

To avoid the I-Win cookie cutter builds, upgrading could also work through picking an archetype / training at level-up time, which adds an assortment of stats. More accuracy with the marksman, more throwing with the grenadier - just no silly one trick pony soldiers.

A lot of the "boring" was also UI-related like the high number of clicks (and waaaaaaiting on the Ui, and finding the right menu entry...) you needed for something as basic as firing a gun.

(not for trying to contradict or to argue with you)

Hey now! What's wrong with contradicting me? =P

I'd like to know that Xenonauts isn't going to follow down the end-game cookie cutter mold to be honest. Yes, an issue in ET among other games. But I'm sure I had fun with a Grenadier and Special Weapons too.

At now they delayed the game release of UFO2ET more than a year, and even removed a release date prevision... this is starting to piss me off. I was counting on this one to enjoy some good old turn based gameplay...

Finished the new XCOM:EU, and it is almost deluding, from a big company having so many limits in the soldier management/equip and in missions... as many nowadays games, they focused more on graphic effects than story... I would rather have a good story and an average graphic, than a wonderful hd graphic and a poor, linear story.

Well, to be fair I'm sure Xenonauts was supposed to come out ages ago. There area any number of reasons why things get delayed, some of which we've seen on the forums as this game has been very open to it's supporters. The game world is full of similar issues.

While I'm eager to play it, I'd like to think that the extra time is going to result in a better game. I have to think like that, as there's no information coming form them at all.

The problem is not the delay itself.

The problem is, usually when you come up with a rlease date it is because you only have to refine the game, which is already done. A delay could happen. Two... unlikely... more... suspect...

If you don't come up with a release date, and delay the game, you aren't deluding people. When you say "out in april" and in the endo of april you say "out in august" and in august "out in q4"... then something is really wrong.

IMHO

Examples were that you always needed to invest 1-2 "level ups" into accuracy before doing anything interesting with the soldier.

Things you must always do are a chore, not a choice.

An obvious alternative would have been to generate soldiers with useful stats. (I'm no master marksman but I can easily hit a man-sized target at 200m using a rifle with just iron sights!)

To avoid the I-Win cookie cutter builds, upgrading could also work through picking an archetype / training at level-up time, which adds an assortment of stats. More accuracy with the marksman, more throwing with the grenadier - just no silly one trick pony soldiers.

A lot of the "boring" was also UI-related like the high number of clicks (and waaaaaaiting on the Ui, and finding the right menu entry...) you needed for something as basic as firing a gun.

Hey now! What's wrong with contradicting me? =P

I would say the short ranged and bad aiming of any weapon on gaming is almost unanimous unless you get some Arma/sniper kind of game.

Xenonauts suffer from the same, actually our Elite soldiers would pass from mediocre recruits as far as aiming goes. Sight is too short and doesn t make much sense, and to finalize it weapons have, if much, bow range.

You can discount that the pure turn based sistem of Xcom/xenonauts compared to the streamlined pausable system of Apocalipse and UFO: after(insert complement here) loose by not picturing the sense of speed at the moment of the shot....

But anyway all the elements of TFTD(which i also prefer from first Xcom) & Company are in UFO: Extraterestrial.

Was it Ugly, sure it was, AI was shitty, yep on that, but even then i find that its a better game than this XCOM 2012 by freakaxis.

IMNSHO (In My Not So Humble Opinion) Fireaxis should concentrate in Civy and most needed SimCity (insert something here), cause as tatical squad turn based shooter and planetary defense game they are subpar.

I will declare that when i ve read that the game would limit the team to 6 members, i discarded the game. It has great values for newcomers and consolish players which is good, but the game has merely taken a genre and twisted and tortured it to some kind of quasimodo. No tactical value, no challenge in research, no planetary decision and a bunch of no, no, no list.

By the way, which mode are recomended with UFO: ET gold (steam one) and if possible where to download it.

The most common mod is Bman's. The USF:ET already has a large fraction of this as part of the release - but it is worth downloading and installing the fall version.

The more impressive mod is Greyfriend's UNIMOD. This is still being developed (last release in November): http://ufo-scene.com/plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?9832.0

This gives you the options of playing the original to Greyfriends re-imagining (and everything in between). Worth exploring - he has interesting ideas about training and experience.

good to see that the forums are back. I couldn't get into them for a couple of days and feared the worst. It's been a while since I played it. I'll need to see what the current mods are like.

i am still on and off checking UFO2's homepage for development and release progress.

dragging so many years.

what are they trying to achieve.

They are only 5 Persons and worked on 2 Versions of the Game. But with only 5 People that´s impossible.

The normal Version from UFO2Extraterestials: Battle for Mercury is a much better Version from UFO Extraterestials playing on Earth. There will be new Graphics, an optimised Playstile, Special Weapons, Help from the Police and Armyforces etc. All that things, which couldn´t implemented in the 2007 Game UFO Extraterestials and the Gold-Version.

The second Version with more implementations called UFO2Extraterestials: Shadows over Earth is announced to be completly Canceld. For what Reasons we don´t know. There should be come im more implementations for the Soldiers, more Army- and Navyforces etc. My personal Thinking is, that implementations were to much and overfilled the oversight for the Player.

If the Release-Date from Battle for Mercury-Version (UFO2ET) is correct it will come in the same Stage as Xenonauts 2 Early-Access in Fall or Winter 2019.

Its only 4 5 people working on the game.By the time they have the game ready the graphics will be outdated :/ and i dont play these games for the graphics but the young people do

Posted (edited)

The Game have good graphics. Look at the Screens and Vids on the Webpage. The same with the Graphics you could say for Xenonauts or Xenonauts 2. It´s not the Graphic what the Game make a Game.

There are other things, which are more importent, because the best PC / Console or whatever dosen´t work with the highest Graphics (I know that, because I belong such a PC) if the Game dosen´t have the following Points:

a) A good Storyline which tells the full Game (like Xenonauts, Xenonauts 2, UFO ET, UFO2ET, X-Com-Series, Wing Commander-Series, KotoR 1 / 2, Doom and many others) from the beginning to the End

b) If it´s a Game without a Storyline you need a fully open World-World Concept (like GTA, World of Warcraf and such) / a historian Concept (like Hearts of Iron 4) as well as many DLC´s  

c) most games have a mix of them, where you have a good Storyline and Open World Components / histoian Concepts, which you can pause the Storyline and make many Sidequests (like Battletech and the still in Development Squardron 42)

d) good Sound (Speech, Explosions etc.) and Music which belongs to the Game (Hearts of Iron 4, Doom, World of Warcraft)

e) the Game have to be Modable if possible (like Hearts of Iron 4, Motorsport Manger, XCom 2) with it´s good Soundpacks, Musikpacks, Gameimprovements which means the Modders help the Devs and reverse

f) good playability with Mouse, Joystick, Keyboard etc.

g) 90% or more Bugfree in the Points above mentiond

You see Graphics get needed, but are on second or third position. We all have seen many Games which gets the best Graphics but weren´t playable. Such Games get called: "Shopkeeper", because they are nice to have but not played about unplayability. And it dosen´t matter how much small, medium and big Patches the "Shopkeepers" get, they are still unplayable. Such Games I have too at Home, but Good thanks only on CD´s / DVD-Versions.

Edited by Alienkiller