SmilePic

Ufo2 Extraterrestrials

First game with Bman's mod(I don't know what it is like without, it comes bundled with it on steam) is pretty lame as its kind of a rip off of original game even if its fan game :P

I mean, really, "sybians"?

When you're in the desert, you don't complain what colour the water is..... it's when you come out of it you can think afterwards "what the [bLEEP] was I thinking?"

First game with Bman's mod(I don't know what it is like without, it comes bundled with it on steam) is pretty lame as its kind of a rip off of original game even if its fan game :P

I didn't find it lame at all, neither with nor without Bman's mod. Such that after purchasing the DVD version, I bought the Steam version too.

I played it with several of the possible confingurations/difficulties, and always found it amazing. Of course if you confront it to some big house with tens of programmers and huge resources you could find it could be better. Yet, I think a big house couldn't have reproduced the atmosphere of the first game so well.

I'm looking forward for the second chapter and I think I will play it a lot, if it match the quality of the first.

I enjoyed with and without the mod's also :) There can't be enough Xcom games in the world can there? I certainly play it when it comes out :) As long as it isn't real time :)

I enjoyed with and without the mod's also :) There can't be enough Xcom games in the world can there? I certainly play it when it comes out :) As long as it isn't real time :)

Yeah, real time sucks! Apocalypse was a crappy game! lets bash it some to mess with XenoMask :D

I play Apocalypse on turn based and call everyone who complain about brainsuckers and poppers wusses :P I mean really, your agents won't hit them with reaction fire resulting in them killing you? How about changing tactics and using proximity mines or something, you KNOW they are in the map once you hear their sound(one feature I loved about Apocalypse, you can determine aliens on maps from sounds they make in the dark)

Also, to me Extraterrestrials atmosphere didn't feel like original, it felt like cheap imitation of original :P Of course, its 7 grade game which means its pretty good, but thats because everything good game from original game (and made worse on some aspects), it itself doesn't have anything going for it.

Also, fricking sybians. I mean, why the heck they directly ripped off snakemen of all aliens considering that every other alien has unique design? Game was "ruined"(I still enjoy it, but I don't credit its enjoyment for it, I credit it for original game) for me by them and that research entries were mostly rather lame. Like weapon ones were mostly about stats, thankfully alien ones are little more descriptive.

Edited by XenoMask

weren't the snakemen called Vipons...oh hang on....

235282-ufo-extraterrestrials-windows-screenshot-the-ufopedia-entry.jpg

yeah. I liked the Snakemen. Like the Sectoids they had a long history in stories before the game. I liked the Vipons as a nod to that. It's a shame this game doesn't have any, assuming that they aren't one of the later races. They have to be beefed up a lot if they are.

It's tough for X-Com clones. If they are too close to the original then they are "cheap imitations" and if they stray a fraction away they are lambasted for abandoning the vision of the original.

It would have been better had they used Earth as the planet to defend, but I can see how it appealed to them. The final missions are extra good because of where you get to go.

I think it's a pretty good game. I enjoyed it a lot, particularly after the B-Man (and other) mods. Now, if they take everything they learned from the first one and it's there in the development of the second, I'd be surprised if it wasn't even better.

As for the research entries, they suffered by English not being the first language I think. Easily tweaked though.

There's every chance I tripped across this game, waiting for the sequel to that one.

235282-ufo-extraterrestrials-windows-screenshot-the-ufopedia-entry.jpg

235282-ufo-extraterrestrials-windows-scr

Wait, that screenshot looks different .-. I have to check my game again to be sure... Also I remember only commanders being green...

You could well be right and that the pic is one of the Vipon commanders, but I can't recall calling them anything else though.

Vipon does sound familiar... So what in the world is Sybian?

Anyway, checked it, exactly same pic in my game so my memory is just bad. Anyway, weird if green ones were commanders... Were orange ones commanders or normal ones?

Either way doesn't really matter as they look identical to snakemen. Even whole rabbit teeth thing.

Update: Googled sybian, and I'm pretty sure this isn't what I meant http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sybian

So I guess my memory is really wonky and Vipon twisted to that word that coincidentally happens to mean something embarrassing that I didn't even know about .-.

Vipon does sound familiar... So what in the world is Sybian?

Anyway, checked it, exactly same pic in my game so my memory is just bad. Anyway, weird if green ones were commanders... Were orange ones commanders or normal ones?

Either way doesn't really matter as they look identical to snakemen. Even whole rabbit teeth thing.

Update: Googled sybian, and I'm pretty sure this isn't what I meant http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sybian

So I guess my memory is really wonky and Vipon twisted to that word that coincidentally happens to mean something embarrassing that I didn't even know about .-.

I played UFO:ET last year and enjoyed it on the whole. You're correct - only Vipon Commanders are green, while the soldiers are the classic X-COM orange/brown.

I thought it was a pretty good game - the music was very good. Story was interesting enough, plenty of alien races and stuff to research... Biggest complaint would be that each set of new weapons (Laser, Plasma, Ion, Particle etc.) completely obseletes the last set. Endlessly researching new weapons for a slight stat bump is incredibly tedious. I'd rather they were fewer in number, or each had unique abilities or advantages/disadvantages compared to the other technology paths.

Maybe it is some kind of force feedback device and that is how you associated it with games...

Brilliant! :D

Edit: oh, Xenomask already figured out what it was :P when I read Gauddlikes comment I had skipped Xenomasks that's why I thought it was so hilarious.

Xenomask: aren't you confusing it with sebillian? the lizard men in Xenonauts? (who I think are named after the lizard language , not the race but the language, in Ever Quest? Think the language is called "Sebilisian")

Edited by Gorlom
removed the nsfw part

well, that's freudian slips for you. You just think that you didn't know about it. But deep down, in the darkness of your subconscious things are lurking...

i also played UFO ET Gold a while back and it was some of the best 10 bucks I spent in a long while. Very interesting research tree especially with the Bman Lite mod. Had some great fun with it , can't wait to play the sequel although some of its aliens seem quite freaky (check out the ice queen and frost king) http://www.ufo2extraterrestrials.com/screenshot/

Yeah, the aliens are starting to look a little out there. But then, i know so little about it it's hard to make a judgement. I'm really looking forward to it though.

In a bid to satisfy my x-com itch - I went out and brought a copy (UFO:extraterrestrials) and installed GreyFriend's UNIMOD last weekend. Man, it is intense.

I feel out of my depth. Lost. Intimidated by the aliens, research tree, my month on month capacity to continuously loose support from the nations. Just when I get a new technowledgy online that helps me feel a little less out of my depth (e.g new Beehive armour in tactical) and the game shifts up a gear in another area and I am back to flounding for air again. Brilliant! And I am on easy! I love not knowing if there will be a new type of alien on each mission. I am enjoying every minute of it (just not winning yet, which maybe the point).

One thing I am noticing is there is NO DOCUMENTATION. Normally this is cool - you just google it. But UFO:extraterrestrials, with UNIMOD is so far underground that google doesn't know the anwers! How do your soldiers gain experience? Can you keep alive soldiers (you can but I think I lost about 20 soldiers over 20 missions before I figured this out) with critical wounds before medipacks get invented (who knows when, not found them yet)? Is it normal that every month every country rates me as poor or worse - or am I missing something crucial?

Thanks Thothkins - no I hadn't come across it. I've had a read (trying to avoid the spoilier bits).

Its interesting to see that UFO: Extraterrestrials is still being developed by the Greyfriend mod. The current version uses a very different system for exprience which is more recent than Jetau's manual (ditching RPG in favour of X-Com like "gain as you do" system, with some big twists). It took me 4 game months staring at my soldiers stats as they gained promotions, trying to detect whether the stats changed at all (they didn't), before I found that there was a training centre you can build.

I haven;t visited there for a while. I had a PC failure that took away my saved games, and I haven;t really played since. I relly should before it's sequel comes out and see what the mod developments have been.

I am almost ashamed to tell that Ufo:ET Gold is the x-com-like I've played the most of. I got the first x-com as a kid and while it fascinated me I didnt know english back then so anything that wasnt ground combat didnt make a lick of sense to me. I got UFO:ET around the same time I repurchased the x-com trilogy on steam 2-3 years ago and I think what made me play ET the most was its slightly improved interface. Ever since then however, I usually pick up and play x-com1 or Apocalypse (Terror from the deep is so damn hard, wanna be able to beat the original first)

Oh and about ET. I liked it, I had some complaints, biggest one being the small number of maps. But overall I definately thought it was a good clone.