SmilePic

Ufo2 Extraterrestrials

I was wondering why no one mentioned third upcoming x-com-inspired game. I mean UFO 2 Extraterrestrials.

First one wasn't that bad and since BMan's tweaks are promised it might be interesting. But Xenonauts looks way more promising to me. :)

In case of it's already been mentioned many times all over the board, sorry)

We did mention it, it's just that there isn't a whole lot to mention. The game's been in a coma for quite a while now.

I doubt it is. They'll probably update the website and say they are doing a September or December release. Judging by what little information I've seen though, it does look like their game is more or less in the late alpha stage or perhaps even early beta. They released a statement saying they were going to take the time to add some additional features.

the original is almost a carbon copy of X-Com as far as mechanics, updated graphics... and yet try as I might that game totally fails to capture my attention. In contrast I can pick up the original X-com and fall right back in, lose the weekend and never realize it til the alarm clock goes off.

It was due last year, and there are still missing features on the website itself. I won't be surprised if it slips even further as Akavit said.

Hopefully it does actually come out next month - IMO the more games of this type the better, if only to steer gamers away from not-quite-as-good games to quality titles such as Xenonauts seems to be.

Never played the first one, but my friend Tom (a long time X-Com aficionado) felt it wasn't so great, as troops in the game just had horrible, horrible accuracy for the first few months in game.

I'm trying to get him to pre-order Xenonauts -looks like he will next paycheck. Woot!

@Slam Bus Rodan It's not like they have bad accuracy, it's just that they don't know which side of the gun the shiny things come out of. Literally! ಠ_ಠ

Just did a quick search on this game and it still has no sign of life on their home page, still says its due out this month but i see no chance.

has no dedicated forums and any forum i found that had anything to say about it had closed the topic. lol

Wow!

Me no understand!

I'm pretty sure it is still being developed. Chaos Concepts doesn't have a reputation for being good communicators.

There is one active forum for the UFO: ET games: UFO Scene

BMan is working with the development team and everything he's said so far indicates that the game is being worked on.

Ah! ty Akavit.:)

hmmm.. just visited that site and there has been a total of 3 posts this YEAR!

and one of them on feb 19 was asking for a reply from BMAN but there has been none.

back to my last post.

Edited by NoIdidnt
update

I really enjoyed the first one. I played it not long after the first mods were available, and they made a huge difference to the gameplay. It's well worth the pennies. There's a Godl edition available from Steam that incorporates a number of the mods and is a bit of a bargain at just under a tenner.

It has plenty of technology teirs to research and manufacture, lots of weapon options and the tactical maps are X-Com like. There is a meta plot, although it's a lot more hidden than the X-COm games and it lacks those links to UFOlogy that I think are an essential backdrop. It also has the plot in reverse which makes it suffer a little. There are plenty of mods around for it, so it's a lot of fun tweaking.

It does look as though not a lot is happening to the sequel. I was over at UFO scene earlier and there's no news there either that I saw. Fingers crossed it's because they are all so busy with the final touches. It really doesn't look like it though.

UFO-E was pretty basic until bman's mod, that brought the game alive. I played the game for a long time and enjoyed every minute of it.

They took their time on the first one and I expect they will do the same with the second, but now having bman involved in the project is a definite plus.

I will be buying this for sure.

Ah! ty Akavit.:)

hmmm.. just visited that site and there has been a total of 3 posts this YEAR!

and one of them on feb 19 was asking for a reply from BMAN but there has been none.

back to my last post.

There's not a lot of posting but it's not quite dead either. New players that ask questions still get answers from a handful of people. Greyfiend and bMan also drop in every now and then to respond to inquiries about their mods.

Wow, that's a lot of info. I hope the poor dears will not overwork themselves communicating with the community so much.

Heh :)

One of the posters also mentioned that there was silence before the first game, and then suddenly, like a UFO dropping out of hyperspace to terrorise cattle in Idaho, it was released.

Actually, there's something nice about the lack of teasing with every magazine showing exactly the same information. I always thought an exclusive was something a single person or paper would have, not a press conference with all of them at the same time.

If BMan's involvement was still going I can't see me not buying it immediately and enjoying it.

After you get used to the sometimes torturous interface, its reasonably fun.

Its just somehow...more boring than X-com in mid-game, even though you do fight new aliens alot. And try out tons of weapons.

Maybe its the lackluster explosions. I need my flaming skulls or huge clouds of flame and smoke to be drawn in :P.

Hence the :P.

In all seriousness, how grenades and missiles are handled might really be one of the 'feel' things that makes it feel off. Along with the odd movement stuff.