Customizable soldier "roles"

Teiwaz

Most squad-based tactical games in the vein of x-com allow the player to rename their soldiers.

90% of the time, players use this feature to make notes about their soldier's capabilities or role in the squad, leading to teams with stupid names like "Bob Machinegunner" or "Bill Sniper" or "James Medic." Or even worse, "Shotgun 2."

I've always hated this. Could we just have a separate field, which is displayed with the name (like their rank), which allows us to enter a comment without renaming the soldier? Or even just provide a dropdown of preset roles we could assign our soldiers? This could also be used to allow us to sort our soldiers when equipping them, allowing for easier management of soldiers within standardized roles. Even better, it could allow us to define default loadouts to soldier roles in order to reduce some of the micromanagement required when equipping squads before a mission.

As you really didn't have to fit your soldiers' equipment again in every mission, I just used the renaming to make the my soldiers more ethnically diverse. Don't mind if they add something like this, but I don't see it as something important, assuming that the game remembers the soldiers' gear loadouts after the mission.

yeah not something I would push for. For myself I likely wouldn't even us it if it was there. Also I've never heard of someone changing a soldier name to reflect their role/weaponry ... If you can't remember who uses what then it seems to me that you aren't invested enough in your troops to care who uses what

*chuckles* Yeah, old X-com and the limited displays in some menus. I know a lot of people added stats to the names (and there was a prog made to add them automatically). I only added 'PSI' to the end of the name to all those who had a high Psi Strength who I wanted to train up later. The rest didn't seem to matter to me.

For combat purposes, having an 'equipped weapon' icon would be enough I'd think. Combat shield overriding pistol, grenade and baton of course (because the shield is the important part).

I never used friends name's for my troops. I tried it once, and they got killed every mission. It was...disturbing. And expensive!

For combat purposes, having an 'equipped weapon' icon would be enough I'd think. Combat shield overriding pistol, grenade and baton of course (because the shield is the important part).

I never used friends name's for my troops. I tried it once, and they got killed every mission. It was...disturbing. And expensive!

The 2 things this would miss are equipment-based specialties (like a medic, or an engineer), as well as in non-combat screens, such as the personnel or soldier windows. When I'm assigning guys to a transport, or setting their initial roles based on stats in the personnel window, I want to be able to see the squad makeup to make sure I have everyone I need. This would require this info to be visible pretty much everywhere you see the soldier's name.

Its more for ease of searching. If the primary weapon of a soldier is shown as an icon on their hot-button-slot-link-thing, then if you're looking for a particular weapon you can just switch between each. There's only so much room on those portraits.

If its people with specific gear, I'd assume you'd know either their name or what you equipped them with and can search for them that way.

You can assign troops to dropships from the equip screen, and they are each listed by dropship. You can just scroll though it there.

Rather than naming the soldiers' roles, I was actually hoping this was about pre-defined combat loads.

My *place specialty here* is definitely going to die frequently, and I'll find someone who is a close match, stat wise, eventually. Why not have it so I can name an arbitrary number of combat loads so I can just apply them as I need to. A pull down list of saved, user defined, combat loads could be added to the personnel window.

The reasoning behind adding the loads to the personnel window is that window has the best soldier information organization. To be able to organize them, and load them without taking my eyes off that info would be invaluable. That is more so than the ability to go straight to the load out screen by double clicking a soldier name in the personnel window. Not that that is any less useful.

• 9 months later...

I always liked that I could re-name the soldiers in X-com, made a much better connection with them and made the whole thing more immersive for me, the call sign is handy for those of you who want to write stats down but i'd like to be able to change the name of the soldiers or edit the bio of them.