V21 Experimental Build 6 Released!

I've skipped experimental v5 so I've played first mission on v6. As someone already said - the suppressed aliens can fire back up to 3 times. Probably the TUs for firing back calculate wrong TUs.

I'm quite not liking the MG change - you've removed the penalty but reduced the ammo capacity by more than 50% made MG fire only 2 bursts and soldier can't move far in order to fire it anyway. So first he must move into position, pray he will not die and then fire. Also I think the suppression from MG should be much higher. 3 rounds from assault rifle hitting tile next to alien makes suppression, but 10 bullets from MG in spread of 1-5 tiles don't.

There's also an issue with Rocket Launcher for me. Hitting alien directly when he is 100% doesn't gib him (don't even kill him), but when he is wounded and rocket explodes 3 tiles away his is suddenly gibed. A rocket to the face should vaporize first aliens and splash damage shouldn't vaporize them.

I've been testing the suppressed effect on aliens in the beginning levels of normal difficulty, V21 E6. Thus far I haven't noticed any incorrect behaviors – no alien has reacted while suppressed, nor has any fired more than two shots during the alien's turn.

Basic armor was given maximum values and ballistic stats were adjusted to create an easier testing environment.

It does seem that shotguns cannot suppress at the moment. I posted a bug thread and a workaround if anyone is interested:

http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/9174-V21-%28Ex-6%29-Ground-Combat-Shotguns-cannot-suppress

Increasing shotgun suppression values to be even with AR bursts seemed good, although probably too good.

The AR's burst value is 60 and its radius 3.

The ballistic shotgun, laser carbine, and mag carbine all have suppression values of 50 and 2.

The farmer's shotgun has values of 40 and 2, while the plasma carbine has a value of 25 and a radius of 2 (certainly it is intended for the plasma to be 50).

And the flash bang is 100 and 5.

Just been experimenting.

*** EDIT

Just realized I tabbed to the wrong thread when posting this. A copy has been posted in Beta Discussion.

Edited by mr_pa
wrong forum

I know it's probably not been changed but I think the soldiers panic far to easily. This is one of the really silly things I found with the Xcom EU/EW game. Trained soldiers don't wet themselves at the first sign of blood. (Love the blood splatters btw.)

I completely mod the panic out of this game as I don't see it having any part to play.

I've skipped experimental v5 so I've played first mission on v6. As someone already said - the suppressed aliens can fire back up to 3 times. Probably the TUs for firing back calculate wrong TUs.

I'm quite not liking the MG change - you've removed the penalty but reduced the ammo capacity by more than 50% made MG fire only 2 bursts and soldier can't move far in order to fire it anyway. So first he must move into position, pray he will not die and then fire. Also I think the suppression from MG should be much higher. 3 rounds from assault rifle hitting tile next to alien makes suppression, but 10 bullets from MG in spread of 1-5 tiles don't.

There's also an issue with Rocket Launcher for me. Hitting alien directly when he is 100% doesn't gib him (don't even kill him), but when he is wounded and rocket explodes 3 tiles away his is suddenly gibed. A rocket to the face should vaporize first aliens and splash damage shouldn't vaporize them.

Agreed. The machine-gun nerf does seem a little much; 30 ammo would be alright but 20 feels ridiculously low. Given that they basically can't move if they want to fire I don't think it would be excessive to give it at least one extra shot before running out of ammo.

Edited by Troublechuter

So any word on when we'll see the next Stable?

I second the question :).

Every time I start a new game, a few days after comes a new version that kills my saves. That is perfectly fine, although now I will not start afresh unless devs state it is unlikely that the future will bring save-breaking changes.

Anyway, at this point of development it would be nice to try to freeze saves' format or build in some sort of recovery / conversion. Experience shows one never gets it completely right before the release, no matter the effort.

V21 Stable isn't too far away. We're mostly trying to finish the final mission before doing it though. It's likely that after V21 Stable we'll completely reset the bug tracker and set up something public you can all view...then declare open season on reporting anything and everything wrong with the game. But styling the final mission is taking longer than I thought it would.

Glad the blood splatters have been well recieved, it's something Aaron's been pushing for for a while now (Skitso too :)).

I'm considering the MG balance at the moment regarding the ammo level; I'm a big fan of the 10 round bursts but perhaps they should be able to fire three bursts - although as others following the balance thread can attest, the arguments need to be made in terms of game balance rather than simply realism. I'm probably also going to nerf MG's slightly by putting recoil back on them so only high strength soldiers can fire them as accurately as everyone can at the moment. They kill a bit too well at the moment.

@Silencer - the rocket launcher issue you mentioned there is likely due to the + / - 50% damage variance rather than anything else.

@qdlat - a save converter would be quite a bit of work, and might lead to false bug positives. However, you can just make a copy the game directory...Steam will only update the original one, not the copy, so that lets you freeze the version as and when you want.

Well I still find quite silly that rocket to the face might not kill alien. There should be a small radius where damage is 100% all the time.

Like for example: Standard/Alenium rocket = 2 tiles, while for example plasma and the next one could be 3 or 4.

I would understand if it was the case of Elite units who are armoured to the teeth, but not NC / Simple Guards.

Yeah, what Gauddlike said. Rockets always do more damage at the center (100%) than at the edge of the explosion, it's just that some rockets do more damage than others due to the variation.

Whether there should be any damage variation on explosives is a different discussion entirely (XCOM 2012 used that system successfully).

Hi all,

The game proved to be very stable on my side - hadn't had a single glitch the whole weekend. Two questions that pupped into my mind:

- Why do the ammo cartridges display % instead of actual bullets? Seems a tad unpractical

- I see that not all dead soldiers stay dead and one can even "heal" the fallen soldiers but the dynamics of this whole concept is not clear. Does "healing" fallen soldiers do anything and can we have a notification on the display when a soldiers "bleeds" out?

Hi all,

- Why do the ammo cartridges display % instead of actual bullets? Seems a tad unpractical

I think the reason for this is that advanced weapons share the same ammo type but have varying numbers of shots/reload. Therefore the % system is needed to ensure that a partially used clip from one weapon type can be used in another. This would be my guess, anyway.

weapons share the same ammo type but have varying numbers of shots/reload. Therefore the % system is needed to ensure that a partially used clip from one weapon type can be used in another

Thanks kabill, that would make perfect sense (at least for ammo beyond ballistic weapons)

I'm getting some slightly odd behavior. I know this isn't a bug report thread, but this is pretty frequent.

I get a semi-random CTD when I click the "Soldier Equipment" tab, especially when clicking on it from the Geoscape. It happens often enough I now save before clicking the Soldier Equipment tab. It only seems to happen from clicking on that tab though. None of the other tabs have caused a CTD when clicking on them.

Also, sometimes (not often) none of my icons/tabs at the top will work. They're still there but they can't be clicked on. Reloading fixes that one though.

Yeah, what Gauddlike said. Rockets always do more damage at the center (100%) than at the edge of the explosion, it's just that some rockets do more damage than others due to the variation.

Whether there should be any damage variation on explosives is a different discussion entirely (XCOM 2012 used that system successfully).

I like damage variation on explosives for this game. XCOM 2012 could get away with that system because it fits in their tabletop-like ruleset. I don't think it would fit that well in this game. I like to think of the randomness as the difference between the rocket hitting them in the chest and exploding or hitting the tile they are in while they are rolling away some.

I am unclear on the intended niche of MGs.

They are now essentially stationary weapons (soldier can't really move and shoot), waste every 3rd turn reloading and all that for a marginal improvement in killing ability? Burst fire from rifles does suppression anyway. Maybe I just suck with MGs, but they seem underwhelming.

A team full of MGs (say 2-4) can reliably take out any alien at any distance, and might even take out some units around them while they're at it. These units might be your own, so take care!

They're better than the sniper because they also provide semi-reliable suppression fire and remain useful at close range. They can also be used effectively by a rookie with 30 accuracy.

Finally, they clear obstacles between you and the target, allowing the next MGer, sniper or riflemen to get a clear shot at the target.

As someone already said - the suppressed aliens can fire back up to 3 times. Probably the TUs for firing back calculate wrong TUs.

Yes "some" unbalanced. I wish my soldiers could shoot back as often as the AI ​​in reflection mode. I have a soldier opened the door to the UFO and shoot at an alien. The AI ​​then met two of my men during the reaction fire. As each alien has shot back that it was pure massacre. Three Aliens all three shoot back three times the purest UFO fortress. In addition, saw the fortress of Constantinople Opel with its three-tiered wall like a wise boy out.