What 'IS' planned to be in the Final?

nutbarz

I have gone through the forums and seen lots of posts, many of you always seem to have some "insider" information about whats been decided to be in the final version. I was just wondering if there was a list somewhere, with the Items In, Items out, Items Planned, Items wanted. I only ask because I dont want to make 200 posts about I want this feature but its not in the current build, or is that going to be included. I have only been here coming up on a month now and have not been here to see and hear all that happened before that, no matter how much I scour these forums. lol. Thanks all.

ha ha there were also a lot of things mentioned on the old forum. What sort of thing are you interested in?

Let me make a brief list off the top of my head:

6+ armour types, with heavy and light armours having different roles

6+ interceptor types (and weapons)

Multiple chases for vehicles (and weapons too)

weapon tiers go: ballistic - laser - plasma - rail gun (There may be more and the last may be a bit different)

weapons are: Shotguns (to be replaced by SMGs later), rifle, pistol, sniper rifle, machine gun

There are also stun rods, combat shields, HE packs, flame throwers, and a missile launcher, though these may or may not get better every tech level

Multiple missile types - and this is the only weapon to have multiple ammo types

multiple types of med packs

multiple grenade types

Something like 7 different alien races and 5 support alien races

No blaster launcher and psi (except that some aliens will have Psi)

And that's all I can think of sorry =p

No That Alone is Great! I would go through all of Chris's posts, but since he is almost at 1000.... well, I have some time, but not that much. What are the Alien Races that have been announced? I only brought this up because I read alot of your posts, and Gorlom's posts, and you both seem to be int he know for some of the things... But I appreciate what you have listed here.

On this alpha release, I know there is alot that is being left out for obvious reasons with this just being to fix the major things and issues. I cant wait for the next release.

So far there are the sebilians, androns and caseans (sorry I may have spelt them wrong).

Caseans are the greys in the current build, and may or may not get psychic powers

sebilians are a warrior reptile race that prefer to ambush and get into close combat, and they also regenerate health, so you have to make sure you've finished them off

androns are robots that are strong, and they don't take cover. The higher tiered ones may also be able to walk through walls

that's all I know. Others have found the names of the other alien races in the game files, ah here they are (I don't take any credit for finding these):

Caesan, Praetor, Reaper, Wraith, Harridan, Andron, Sebillian = alien races

cerberus, chimera, juggernaut, manticore, and scuttler = vehicle/support types

No, there's not a full list outside of my brain and my hard drive unfortunately. The 'insider' knowledge comes from having spent far too much time on the forums I'm afraid. Come beta all the features should be implemented and pretty well documented so if its not in there then, you can complain at will :)

UFO had also just stunt rods, range 0 weapon, for that purpose. You researched alien technology to be able to shoot stunt balls.

In that game some attacked aliens were losing conscious before dying, so you could have first few soldiers without much hassle.

Noone has said anything about removeing shotguns. It's just that shotguns are in the ballistic weapons tier only. While the corresponding weapon in the laser and plasma weapon tiers will behave more like SMGs because it's hard to motivate why a beam weapon would behave like a shotgun.

Noone has said anything about removeing shotguns. It's just that shotguns are in the ballistic weapons tier only. While the corresponding weapon in the laser and plasma weapon tiers will behave more like SMGs because it's hard to motivate why a beam weapon would behave like a shotgun.

Well, to motivate why a Laser-based weapon would work like a shotgun, prismatic lens/crystals refracts the light into their various wavelengths to give you a spread-like effect, that could work. Can't say about the rest though.

Well, you could but it would be a bit of a stretch. As Rik says multiple refracted (or multiply generated) seperate, coherent beams would behave like a shotgun per se, but with if it was just (as you say) to simulate the way the shotgun in game works you could have a modified plasma weapon. Humans can build plasma torches etc (they are used in industry, though most 'plasma' cutting torches tend to be arc cutters in reality, using electrical ionisation to cut) that would have a short range (damage reducing with range maybe?) and high damage. Perhaps this is the only practical human built version of alien plasma weaponry before the higher tier weapons?

You're thinking of buckshots. The ingame shotgun fires slugs. A slug is a single big bullet while buckshots are a lot of small round pellets packed together in a caseing.

I think haveing a "plasma" weapon in the laser tier to replace the shotgun would cause some confusion since the next tier of human weapons after laser is plasma.

Yeah, getting confusing doing a mod in UFO afterlight and talking about this at the same time. :)

If it's just a heavy, short range weapon a plasma torch could still work, but you're right, is a bit odd at that level with plasma coming right afterwards. It could be considered a 'prototype' but would feel wrong in any kind of tier system.

You could have a laser system that is simply described as a different tech type. IE a chemical rather than free-electron laser (given that the descriptions do go for alien energy cells powering these guns I'm gathering the main lasers aren't chemically reactive powered) which would be shorter ranged but wider beam? A little dodgy science, but barely doable. Might also suggest a slight mod in the way the weapon works. Internal chemical stores may mean you don't reload weapon on the battle field but instead get a limited number of shots which regen when you get back to base. Need more? Carry another gun :)

I presume the late armours are a variation on the classic power suit?

Has anyone actually seen any of the art assets for these yet?

I presume chris wants to keep all the best stuff a bit hush-hush so as to not ruin the surprise....

AFAIK the sprites for the other armorsets are already in the current build. I think Oracle something or other posted them in his "female soldiers" thread.

I dunno what the armorsets will do but they wont just be straight upgrades like they were in the original X-com. And no suit will let you end your turn in the air like that suit did. The "jetpack" armor will allways require you to land before the end of turn.