New, just ordered game, thoughts on the future of Xcom games

Hi All,

I haven't even started playing this game. It's downloading now. I have been watching it for awhile.

In the meantime, I have been playing Enemy Within (after Enemy Unknown). This is a stripped game from the original Xcom, but Enemy Within is especially enjoyable.

I am expecting this game to be even better with many more options and even greater immersion.

All that said, I would like to see new Xcom games based on a counter invasion. Why couldn't Xenonauts 2-3 be games where we take the fight to the aliens? This would allow for even more innovation, some "exploring" of the place they came from etc. I could even see see a strategy game where you build up your bases to launch a counter-attack, all based on our own advances along with the alien tech. Of course, I would not want to change the tactical play....

What do you guys think?

Regardless, I am getting ready to fire up the game and have some fun.

Yeah, Apocalypse has you figure out how the dimensional gates that the aliens are using work, and has you launch a counter-invasion to cut off their ability to attack.

It worked well based on Apocalype's story, because

1) You only had one city

2) The aliens were not invading from space, but an alternate dimension

Doing something like that for a global game with interstellar travel would end up being much more like a 4X, I think.

Doing something like that for a global game with interstellar travel would end up being much more like a 4X, I think.

A 4x game is a bit more than I was thinking, although I can see how it would end up like that. This seems wildly complicated and involved, but a 4x game that could somehow integrate the Xenonauts / X-Com tactical combat would be pretty cool. It's probably too ambitious to wish for such a game and if it existed, few would have time to play it....

The problem you would have there is really one of scale. Launching a planetary invasion and having it come down to 14 men on one battlefield would stretch credulity a little; the only system it would work in is Battletech, due to some of the lore in those games (Clan Trials of Possession).

To deal with the scale issues I considered replacing individual soldiers with small units instead. Rather than a squad of 14 taking on 20 enemies to decide who owns a city/country/whatever it was more like 70-140 people taking on 200.

...and you'd control each unit like a single soldier? That's a very interesting concept, both in terms of scale and visual design.

I was originally looking at it as a mod for Xenonauts but I wasn't sure how to handle the damage system.

Units would either be all alive or all dead.

Plus all members of the unit would really need to use the same weapons as Xenonauts can't really handle too many different firing modes/shot types on a single soldier.

I was originally looking at it as a mod for Xenonauts but I wasn't sure how to handle the damage system.

Units would either be all alive or all dead.

You can make them die or drop on the ground heavily wounded - it looks pretty much the same way in Xenonanauts - as unit starts taking damage. Dead/Gravely wounded can then be used as "dropped items" on the ground and visuals will be reduced by number of soldiers lost.

Plus all members of the unit would really need to use the same weapons as Xenonauts can't really handle too many different firing modes/shot types on a single soldier.

On "standing" mode you can make guys in front kneel by default to make room for guys behind them, kind of 17th-century line infantry (should have no effect on aim for everyone though). On "kneeling" mode they can stand side-by-side to stimulate effect of taking better firing position or being behind an object. Each soldier would have to use the same firing mode but it'd fit into their stances.

The game doesn't have visual stages for different levels of wounded so either all of the soldiers in the unit would be standing or all dead.

Plus then you also have the problem that if you did manage to simulate dead members of the unit visually it would have no effect on their firepower.

It was easier to just have the unit die as a whole.