"Spherical" Geoscape? X-Com nostalgia.

Heya.

Friend of mine referred me to the game and I instantly went and preordered it. I've had a quick peek at the screenshot gallery and noticed the "flat" geoscape. Is this a design choice or just a temporary placeholder of sorts? :)

And while I'm at it - what is the direction of the game? Remake - or inspiration? In other words, are you trying to remake X-Com franchise, or simply drawing heavily upon it and taking the game in a different direction?

PS: How do I tie my forum account to the premium badge thing? :confused:

Flat geoscape is a design choice.

Due to copyright issues and Chris not owning the X-com IP it's not really a remake but he's not going to take the gameplay in a different direction either. I dunno about the story though. I guess "reimagening" is what fits best?

you can visit this thread for getting the preorder badge showing on the forum:

http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php?145-How-to-claim-your-Pre-Order-forum-badge!

Yeah, we've gone for a flat Geoscape. It has some advantages and some disadvantages, but it's too late to change it now I'm afraid.

This is a very faithful re-imagining of the old games. Bascially everything about them has been analysed with a fine-tooth comb to make it easier to use and more fun, and better balanced, but the core mechanics are very similar. That's what it'll be when its done, anyway. It's still a work in progress.

The flat one reminds me a bit of some of Introversion's titles, so I'm sure I'll get used to it eventually.

Great to hear you're keeping it very close to the old games - especially now that Firaxis have mentioned abstracting certain game aspects that I'd prefer to keep, if only for the sake of realism :o

Edit: Oh and thanks for the badge link. Worked as promised.

Well the geoscape did strike me bein flat. However so did the originale geoscape in X-Com, they only managed to trick you in beleiving otherwise. It's 2 1/2 dimension as they called it in this era.

I do not find the flat geoscape a problem, while it does hamper putting a interception base on poles like I usually do in such games. It make me think about cap canaveral screens where you see a flat world with dot on it. Fits with the time and the mood.

Maybe in a sequel, having a full 3D?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Cannonballs.. :( It's sort of "the" part that made X-com revolutionary. I often joked x-com invented Google Earth. :) And the feeling you got from zooming out to see the planet you're defending against the darkness of cold space.. :eek: Plus it connects north-south for some interesting way points and strategic elements.

Well, maybe somewhere in the future (a man can dream) it will make a comeback. :)

My only real objection to the flat map was not being able to cross over the poles for an interception short cut.

Otherwise it fits the feel of the game and looks pretty good.

I can live with the slight inconsistencies because the up points outweigh them in my eyes :)

It's something I've gotten used to. Some other games have already improved on the old EU globe and they do look great.

However, in the looks department, the flat earth looks fine, all those alien activities appear easily without the globe rotating every ten minutes and I'm not missing clicking around it as much as I thought I would.

Yeah, we've gone for a flat Geoscape. It has some advantages and some disadvantages, but it's too late to change it now I'm afraid.

This is a very faithful re-imagining of the old games. Bascially everything about them has been analysed with a fine-tooth comb to make it easier to use and more fun, and better balanced, but the core mechanics are very similar. That's what it'll be when its done, anyway. It's still a work in progress.

I prefer the Flat Geoscape, I almost feel like I could play Defcon

One of my biggest gripes with the game is the inability to stretch the radar over the top. It works side to side but not over the top. I don't know if at this point there is a way to include it through a formula modification or it is a function of the "flat map" that makes it impossible to do. If it were possible I would be trying to find out. The only other gripe is a different subject with a new plane to be used.

Im sure the final geoscape will look really cool and atmospheric. The music I havent heard yet. Thats very important as well. I hope an editor will let us change the music to our liking and Ill add the amiga music^_^.

Flat geoscape isn't an issue to me, but I would love it if planes moved along geodesics, that is, along the shortest path between two points on a globe which is a curve on a flat geoscape. If you're familiar with map projections, I suppose this is easy to imagine.

Being able to go south to go north (past a pole) would be great too.

I would prefer them to stick to flat earth trajectories.

The realism factor just wouldn't balance how odd it would look if they always flew curved paths.

You would also need to distort radar ranges into ovals and that just looks wrong on a flat map.

Agreed, despite the realism factor I think the flat map / flat radars / flat flight trajectories just plain works for a nice simplistic view of what's going on. Programming in proper curved stuff (or even an approximation thereof) won't really enhance my gameplay experience any - there's a ton of other areas I'd rather the team focus on.