V21 Experimental 4 Balance Update Released!

Nice surprise: I just had a base defense mission while my team was out on recovery, leaving only a handful of poorly equipped rookies with particularly low stats to defend. Fortunately, most of the aliens blew themselves up by shooting at missiles before my team even got to them. Grenades and a suicide bomb took out the rest. Final score, 13 to 1.

For the mystery panic: do you have any idea if civvie death happened? Civs dying hurts morale. If that guy had something like 30 bravery' date=' it might set him off.[/quote']

I don't know, but probably yes. He did have like 48 brv. Still, his morale bar was full, so I'm wondering if it's not some sort of bug.

Hello,

I played the game with the latest update and sorry to express a critique. I have no idea who has increased the hit rate of the aliens, but either has not been well tested is a bug or just bad management.

What I am describing now I have tested several times in order to exclude the argument of a random match.

A Sebillian soldier has landed over a distance of 15-20 fields with a stray shot two deadly strike. Quite right he killed with A stray shot two units that were crouched behind a cover (the cover was in the firing line).

A Sebillian shoots through two barracks and their window and kills a crouching soldiers.

A Sebillian shoots again from a great distance through two fences one soldier dead

I could go on like this, but that's enough well.

If that is the hit rate of a Sebillian who is a bad shot, according to profile, I can only shake my head.

I aborted the game. Sure you can successfully complete a mission. I have that, but in this way as you can not play tactically.

Lucky shot there is always, that's fine, but that should be an exception, not the rule.

To make a game hard is one thing, unplayable and unbalanced another.

I like your game, but this is ridiculous.

I do not want:

a) to lose soldiers just because the game is poorly balanced

b) Continually restore the Autosave Game. (which I have neither the time nor the inclination)

That's right, the manual save does not work. I can save a game manually but not load the Savegame.

Probably some smartass (player) will write and announce he would have the highest degree of difficulty never had problems. ^ ^

But normal mortal players here have no joy.

If all remains so I can not change it except to hope for a mod or me to look for another game. : p

Yes, the alien accuracy is being reduced somewhat in the next build.

Glad to hear it and I'll wait for the next build. I hope 'reduced somewhat' doesn't mean they can still shoot from across the map, in darkness, and kill two guys in one turn.

Hello,

I played the game with the latest update and sorry to express a critique. I have no idea who has increased the hit rate of the aliens, but either has not been well tested is a bug or just bad management.

What I am describing now I have tested several times in order to exclude the argument of a random match.

A Sebillian soldier has landed over a distance of 15-20 fields with a stray shot two deadly strike. Quite right he killed with A stray shot two units that were crouched behind a cover (the cover was in the firing line).

A Sebillian shoots through two barracks and their window and kills a crouching soldiers.

A Sebillian shoots again from a great distance through two fences one soldier dead

I could go on like this, but that's enough well.

If that is the hit rate of a Sebillian who is a bad shot, according to profile, I can only shake my head.

I aborted the game. Sure you can successfully complete a mission. I have that, but in this way as you can not play tactically.

Lucky shot there is always, that's fine, but that should be an exception, not the rule.

To make a game hard is one thing, unplayable and unbalanced another.

I like your game, but this is ridiculous.

I do not want:

a) to lose soldiers just because the game is poorly balanced

b) Continually restore the Autosave Game. (which I have neither the time nor the inclination)

That's right, the manual save does not work. I can save a game manually but not load the Savegame.

Probably some smartass (player) will write and announce he would have the highest degree of difficulty never had problems. ^ ^

But normal mortal players here have no joy.

If all remains so I can not change it except to hope for a mod or me to look for another game. : p

Im not gonna try to be a smart ass, but I wouldnt be so scathing especially since we are seeing regular balance updates. I do agree with your point on research flavor text not matching the feel of the alien in ground combat. I hope balancing can give the aliens more unique flavors. Right now I'm only concerned with the gun they got and use the same tactic in 99% situations. More flavor to the aliens to inspire different strategies depending on what alien type you face would be nice.

But especially the sebillian is an immersion breaker when xenopidia says they have bad sight and favor close combat, and they out snipe your guys from long range.

Glad to hear it and I'll wait for the next build. I hope 'reduced somewhat' doesn't mean they can still shoot from across the map, in darkness, and kill two guys in one turn.

To be fair, if they have 1% accuracy they will still be able to do this - it's just a question of how often it occurs. There will always be freak circumstances.

Hello, just two minor issues that i noticed and i believe was not reported before. (Or i'm really bad at searching the forum, which is also valid).

1 - If an unit tries to get a weapon from the ground but does not have enough tus, the weapon dissapears forever, you won't be able even to find the weapon on the soldiers loadout screen.

2 - After i completed a mission, with some xenonauts injured, and went into another mission, without going back to the base. The xenonauts health bar becames healable, and it's possible to heal then back to 100% health, and they won't be injured after the battle.

3 - I equipped the xenonaut with the buzzard armor, then i made him spend a turn on a higher ground (the problem happened at the 2 or 3 floor, did not try on the 1 one). On the next turn, immediately after sending the order for him to go to the ground, i change the elevation back to floor 1. Then the soldier became invisible. Gameplay wise there were no changes, but it was as if he wasn't there.

4 - When entering a Landing ship, if i leave my xenonaut at the front door and open it, it's possible to see all the aliens that are on the second floor. Still don't know if that happens with all the alien ships / elevations.

Is there a specific thread for reporting bugs?

Edited by ako

This is usual these days with games that are under development. On one side you have your casual player, who just wants a fun game.

And then you have your braggers, who like to order the hottest curry in the house.

The braggers usually win, as most will rally to the flag of machismo, and the poor casuals have to wait on the modders.

:)

25 years ago I remember being in a Newegg Store in north Seattle and chatting about computer games with the other customers.

We were trying to find one that would be fun to play. Someone would mention a game, say it was ridiculously hard and then we'd all ask 'well, is there a hack for it to make it more playable'?

Funny how some things don't change.

25 years ago I remember being in a Newegg Store in north Seattle and chatting about computer games with the other customers.

We were trying to find one that would be fun to play. Someone would mention a game, say it was ridiculously hard and then we'd all ask 'well, is there a hack for it to make it more playable'?

Funny how some things don't change.

So true. Many times have I seen a similar situation.

I have a little observation that I made from steam forums. Those that are usually screaming that a certain game is to easy, usually don't even own the said game. :)

Anyway, I think we have gone a little off topic.

Edited by Moonie

It doesn't help that the actual difficulty levels have not been finalised yet.

Remember that once the current difficulty is balanced then there should be one that will be harder for all those experts, one that will be easier for all of those who find the game frustrating at this stage and one below that for people who just want to have some strategic fun.

Hopefully modding will not be necessary at that stage as you can pick your own difficulty level.

You should also be easily able to mod your own game as the changes made by the difficulty settings are currently located in an easy to edit xml file and will likely stay that way.

Just tweak normal to your requirements and away you go!

Thinking about it I might mod in a custom difficulty at some point...

How hard could that be?

There are currently multiplier options for alien advancement speed, UFO health, alien stats, alien weapon damage, human aircraft range, and human aircraft speed.

Each of those can be set independently of each other and for each individual difficulty.

There could be more options later if the devs feel more are required to give the difficulty levels more variance.

If there are any other suggestions making a thread in the proper forum may give the devs some other options they hadn't considered.

Make it constructive with a descriptive title and hopefully others will join in with their own ideas.