V21 Experimental 4 Balance Update Released!

Firstly, if you do not know how to access the experimental branch on Steam, please read the instructions (and warnings!) in this thread. This update will break save games from all previous version except from V21 Experimental 4...but the Geoscape rebalance may not fully take effect if you load a save rather than create a new game.

This update uses the same codebase as V21 Experimental 4 from yesterday, but has updated balance and a few new maps too.

Additions / Bugfixes:

• Three new alien base maps have been added.
  • Shields now correctly protect 100% from the front 90 degrees, and 60% for the remainder of the frontal 180 degree arc.

Geoscape Balance:

• Geoscape region funding has been rebalanced to improve initial base placement options. Overall funding remains the same, but regions now provide more / less funding depending on their size and proximity to other large nations.
  • Corsair now has dual cannons instead of a single cannon and two light missiles, and has received 30% increased HP.
  • Cannons have received a buff to ammo capacity and range. Damage has been buffed on all cannons except the autocannon.
  • Heavy Fighter and Interceptor UFOs have had their HP reduced by 25-30%.

Ground Combat Balance:

• Burst fire for rifles now has 60 accuracy, up from 30. This makes it marginally more TU efficient than using snap shots, and significantly more TU efficient when receiving the short-range bonus.
  • Burst fire also now correctly does triple the suppression of a single shot, rather than double as previously.
  • Alien rifles now use the same TU / accuracy levels as Xenonaut rifles.
  • Combat / assault shields now weigh 6kg instead of 3kg.

A few changes there, the biggest of which are the new Geoscape funding settings and the Condor. I've had a quick test of them, but I'm not entirely sure how they'll play out (particularly with regards to the Condor) so let us know your thoughts!

Please post your comments on the build here, or use the balance threads below:

Geoscape: http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/f...9739#post99739

Ground Combat: http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/f...9738#post99738

Sounds like a good day to start a new game as it's been a few versions since I sat down and did a play through. I'll report back on the funding changes as far as base location. I always place my first base in the USA and 3 or 4 versions ago USA was a bad choice for a starting location because of the funding you'd loose from not being able to defend the nations across the pond. I'll let you know how this game plays out.

Improvement list looks great, Chris. Keep up the good work.

CCCCCCCCCCHRIS YOU'RE TIRELESS, seriously i've been using the shields quite a lot and i noticed that when breaching UFO doors, the guy beyond the shield always get shotted on the face, even tho he's literally stading in front of the alien, will eagerly test the new shields.

Corsair ? 2 Cannons ?

1384620009022.jpg

1384620009022.jpg

1384620009022.jpg.488878d200fb8c6e70f1c1

But increased weight of combat/assult shield ... was it really necessary ?

Yup. You can carry 4 of them around otherwise. If it's too much of a problem we may try expanding the space it fills in the backpack as an alternative solution...although we'd still have to prevent the dual wielding somehow...

Yup. You can carry 4 of them around otherwise. If it's too much of a problem we may try expanding the space it fills in the backpack as an alternative solution...although we'd still have to prevent the dual wielding somehow...

Oh well i never used them that way.. although i read about it.I get it now it's better off this way then.

• Corsair now has dual cannons instead of a single cannon and two light missiles, and has received 30% increased HP.

• Cannons have received a buff to ammo capacity and range. Damage has been buffed on all cannons except the autocannon.

Out of curiosity (and not having access to the game files for a couple days), has anyone checked the new expected damage output of cannons compares to same-tech-level missiles, from a purely mathematical perspective?

is there going to be more balance to interception.... still no reason to play the interception game as it does a better job than me most of the time also other immersion breaking things happen:

- like if you send 2 foxtrots after one light scout you can auto resolve and both planes have 100% ammo after.

- if you catch a ufo even with a few seconds of combat fuel left you can autoresolve... win and still make it back to base, where if you actually played out that fight in the interception game you would have to turn back right after the game starts before your even in range of the ufo or lose the plane.

If anything you should have to prove to the game that you can beat that ufo with that matchup or better in the game before it lets you auto resolve. Maybe first time you intercept a ufo type you dont get the auto resolve button and have to fight it out... then any time u use that combination of planes or better on the same type you can auto resolve with 100% or something similar.

is there going to be more balance to interception.... still no reason to play the interception game as it does a better job than me most of the time also other immersion breaking things happen:

- like if you send 2 foxtrots after one light scout you can auto resolve and both planes have 100% ammo after.

- if you catch a ufo even with a few seconds of combat fuel left you can autoresolve... win and still make it back to base, where if you actually played out that fight in the interception game you would have to turn back right after the game starts before your even in range of the ufo or lose the plane.

If anything you should have to prove to the game that you can beat that ufo with that matchup or better in the game before it lets you auto resolve. Maybe first time you intercept a ufo type you dont get the auto resolve button and have to fight it out... then any time u use that combination of planes or better on the same type you can auto resolve with 100% or something similar.

The problem is that the autoresolve is not a very good predictor of actual combat results, IMO. Sometimes it wins too easily and sometimes you lose when manually controlling the battle probably would have given you a win. I don't think it can take all the relevant factors into account. Just initial positioning of UFO and interceptors can make a huge difference for example and that only one factor. I wouldn't say that it is the best way to assure a win. In a tough battle a skilled manual player will do better than the autoresolve most of the time. Edited by StellarRat

Sure, but I hope they definitely fix the problem for avalanche missiles shooting down maneuverable UFOs with 100%b accuracy.
Yeah, that's a problem. Although, I do believe that with excellent timing it is possible to down a Lt. Scout or Fighter with torpedoes even in a manual battle. But you would definitely need to shoot at least two. I believe someone even posted the technique at one point.

The Corsair change is... interesting. It does create something unique for them. It's a damage nerf versus larger ships (haven't done enough math to see if it changes numbers of craft needed to kill anything), and I'm honestly not sure how it'll affect versus alien fighters. It creates some interesting theoretical situations, but it'll be interesting to see how they play out.

Were the autoresolve strengths adjusted? If they weren't, this would make them weaker on autoresolve versus non-rolling UFOs.

Edit: Killing rolling craft with torpedoes is impractical, and nearly impossible currently. It requires getting your plane totally on top of the UFO so it hits instantly. Autoresolve just compares number values assigned to each craft/weapon and looks compares scores to determine the results.

Edited by Dranak

Also I know auto-resolve don't take into account the fuel, but I've seen cases where I think amount of fuel available for interceptors increased after auto-resolve. Do not have save file for it though (therefore cursory mention here instead of bug thread).

Love the attempt to make the shield inefficient by the way. Shields are very good with guaranteed 100% block and 80+ hit point (since 1/80 shield blocks all shot damage regardless).

Edited by ventuswings

These balance changes seem to nerf the LMG to high heaven. As of right now:

Rifle(burst)

3rds @ 30 dam, 5 mit. AP cost 40, acc 60. Suppression 60, radius 4.

Additional abilities/disabilities: non-burst fire options, including accurate single shots.

LMG(burst)

5rds @ 30 dam, 5 mit. AP cost 35, acc 40. Suppression 40, radius 4.

Additional abilities/disabilities: Significantly heavier, firing-after-moving penalty*, low-strength firing penalty*,

SUMMARY: At long ranges, the rifle burst is superior due to greater accuracy. In charges to short range, the rifle burst is superior due to not having mobile firing penalties. At moderate ranges, when the enemy isn't in cover, or when attempting to suppress numerous tightly-but-not-TOO-tightly-packed enemies, the LMG is superior due to high volume of fire and greater suppression radius. When trying to suppress individual targets (or very-tightly-packed enemies) the rifle is superior due to greater suppression strength**.

Suggestions: Raise the LMG's accuracy to 60 (to match the rifle's burst accuracy) or damage:mitigation to 35:20 (to match the sniper's damage:mitigation). Have not examined post-ballistic weapons to see if trends continue.

*If either of these penalties were removed at some point, I didn't notice.

** Unless suppression strength is per bullet, but that wouldn't make much sense since it would mean that a rifle's burst suppresses 9x as much as a single shot.

That sort of specific comment is probably better suited to the balance thread, but you're right - I did lower the damage of the LMG because I thought it was a bit OP, but then forgot to give it increased accuracy along with the rifle. It's a bit underpowered in the current balance.

Small UI request:

In the soldier loadout screen, would it be possible to make it so that a single click, rather than a double click, adds an item from the menu on the right to a soldier's inventory? Right now its click-once-and-hold-to-drag and double click to add automatically. Single click to add automatically would be better. Loading up a soldier with a bunch of grenades a little tedious.

I haven't played in a while, decided to sit down today, check out the new stuff. First mission: second turn, one of my corporals looses it, drops his gun and runs away... no aliens in sight, nothing unusual... I don't think that was supposed to happen.

:edit:

After exchanging fire with the aliens, and losing a soldier, the same cpl. fled again, and I've noticed his 'morale' bar didn't drop at all.

Edited by FruitBasket