How to mod the number of alien at each ufo/mission

kottis

Certainly!

In /ufocontents/ each airplane.alien.xxx.xxx file lists the minimum and maximum number of a specific alien type and their AI type for each mission type the ufo can travel on. Therefore, in alien.airplane.corvette.sebillian, if you open this in a text editor, the first set of lines:

<Cell ss:StyleID="s63"><Data ss:Type="String">GroundAttack</Data></Cell>   <Cell ss:StyleID="s63"><Data ss:Type="String">TerrorMission_EnRoute</Data></Cell>   <Cell ss:StyleID="s63"><Data ss:Type="String">TerrorMission_TerrorPhase</Data></Cell>   <Cell ss:StyleID="s63"><Data ss:Type="String">BaseAttack</Data></Cell>   <Cell ss:StyleID="s63"><Data ss:Type="String">Research</Data></Cell>   <Cell ss:StyleID="s64"><Data ss:Type="String">Construction</Data></Cell>   <Cell ss:StyleID="s64"><Data ss:Type="String">SupplyRun</Data></Cell>

Are the headers. These are all the missions that a corvette can participate in, therefore alien numbers have to be set for each mission (it looks better in Excel), so, the next set of lines:

<Cell ss:StyleID="s65"><Data ss:Type="String">2-2 Sebillian_Guard_Aggressive</Data></Cell>   <Cell ss:StyleID="s65"><Data ss:Type="String">2-2 Sebillian_Guard_Aggressive</Data></Cell>   <Cell ss:StyleID="s65"><Data ss:Type="String">2-2 Sebillian_Guard_Aggressive</Data></Cell>   <Cell ss:StyleID="s65"><Data ss:Type="String">2-2 Sebillian_Guard_Aggressive</Data></Cell>   <Cell ss:StyleID="s65"><Data ss:Type="String">2-2 Sebillian_Guard_Aggressive</Data></Cell>   <Cell ss:StyleID="s65"><Data ss:Type="String">2-2 Sebillian_Guard_Aggressive</Data></Cell>   <Cell ss:StyleID="s65"><Data ss:Type="String">2-2 Sebillian_Guard_Aggressive</Data></Cell>

Sets a maximum and a minimum of 2 Sebillian Guard-class with the Aggressive AI type for each mission it can participate in.

The next set of lines:

<Cell ss:StyleID="s65"><Data ss:Type="String">1-2 Sebillian_GuardSupport_Aggressive</Data></Cell>   <Cell ss:StyleID="s65"><Data ss:Type="String">1-2 Sebillian_GuardSupport_Aggressive</Data></Cell>   <Cell ss:StyleID="s65"><Data ss:Type="String">2-3 Sebillian_GuardSupport_Aggressive</Data></Cell>   <Cell ss:StyleID="s65"><Data ss:Type="String">2-3 Sebillian_GuardSupport_Aggressive</Data></Cell>   <Cell ss:StyleID="s65"><Data ss:Type="String">1-2 Sebillian_GuardSupport_Aggressive</Data></Cell>   <Cell ss:StyleID="s65"><Data ss:Type="String">1-2 Sebillian_GuardSupport_Aggressive</Data></Cell>   <Cell ss:StyleID="s65"><Data ss:Type="String">1-2 Sebillian_GuardSupport_Aggressive</Data></Cell>

Sets for ground attacks, terror missions if shot down, research, construction and supply missions a minimum of 1 Sebillian Guard-class (Support type, Aggressive AI) and a maximum of 2 Sebillian Guard-class (Support-type, Aggressive AI), and sets for Terror Missions and Base Attacks a mimum of 2 Sebillian Guard-class (Support-type, Aggressive AI) and a maximum of 3 Sebillian Guard-class (Support-type, Aggressive AI).

And so, and so forth.

For some reason I prefer modifying them without resorting to excel.

Not sure why but it just feels like you get more information that way.

The information is better in other places but I do like how it's put in columns all in one place. It just makes it easier on the eyes for me. Although I do highly recommend checking both out.

Absolutely.

It is far easier to locate a piece of information quickly in some of the bigger files using excel.

I find some of the column headers are less than useful in others and the information is quite spread out rather than in neat little blocks like the raw file.

Definitely worth using both methods as it can definitely give you a better grasp of the data.

• 2 months later...

Question related to the topic:

What does the "id" and "name" fields do in levelsetup_finalmission.xml? At first I thought each AI name was unique, but then I noticed that the Heavy Drone here shares a name with one of the Caesan leaders (AI 11). And then I thought that the ID of each unit had to do with what configuration they had (rank, role, race, etc), but then I see two groups of Andron Elite Assaults using different IDs.

I would like to stuff the mission chock full of high-ranking and very-low-ranking aliens if possible. If the map can't support 40+ aliens, then eh...