V21 Experimental 3 Available!

Firstly, if you do not know how to access the experimental branch on Steam, please read the instructions (and warnings!) in this thread. All saved games from earlier versions (including experimental versions) are incompatible, attempting to load them will cause problems.

A relatively short list of changes this time, but we wanted to get this build out because it has potential fixes for two different crash bugs. These fixes seem to work for us, but these crashes have been hard to reproduce in the past so really the only way for us to tell if they are properly fixed is the let you guys try them.

Fixes:

- Fix for loading screen crash (hopefully!)

- Fixed a crash when a terrain explosive tile exploded (possibly related to C4 and Rocket crashes)

- Reduced loading screen refresh rate to shorten load times

- Wraith soldier stunned/dead images no longer mixed up

- Improved the ground blending of the sprites for several Middle East buildings so they look less floaty

- Fixed bug where items could have their corners overlapping in the inventory

- The base upgrade research now correctly boosts the speed of manufacturing and research

- 4:3 resolutions now display correctly using a letter-boxed mode

- Fixed bullets not being able to fly through windows

- Fixed the AI not understanding it can shoot through windows

- Fixed bug where crouched soldiers would stand if clicked

Additions:

- Added all new maps for the Soviet town terror mission tileset, though a bug means these aren't accesible yet

- Predator armour wearing soldiers now move slower (animation only, no gameplay effect); this is controlled from new variables in armours_gc

- Resilience stat renamed to Health for clarity

- More loading screen tips

- Moving items around in a soldiers inventory in combat now only charges the the TU cost for doing so on closing

-- This means you can freely move objects around and only commit to the new arrangement when closing the soldier inventory

-- It also no longer cost anything to move items around if they stay in the same "container" (belt, backpack etc...)

Balance:

- Reapers can now be suppressed

- Crouching now costs 3 TU

- Close range bonus now +12% per tile

- Stopping chance for incidental targets reduced to 50% from 75% (this is the modified to hit chance for targets you aren't aiming at)

Please post your comments on the build here. If you encounter any bugs please post them in the experimental build sub-forum of the bugs forum.

Is it only me or the number of available screen resolutions has been drastically reduced?

The coder which fixed the display for 4:3 screens resolution felt like wide screens should just have 16:9 viewports available, so you don't see 4:3 resolutions in the list anymore.

Reduced loading screen refresh rate to shorten load times

I'm still looking at 60~ seconds load times for a light scout mission while watching the load screen and 15~ seconds by alt-tabbing out and then coming back in.

My full screen resolution is 1366x768.

Hmm, I just tried it in windowed mode (1280x720) and it loads in 12~ seconds. So, I guess I'm playing in windowed mode for now.

After experimental 2 has broken compatibility with Wineskin under OS X, this release works again. Download it using Steam under Windows, copy the Xenonauts folder into a WS8Wine1.2.3 wrapper and you're good to go!

Thanks for the Dev Team for their work!

The loading screen crash seems to be fixed at last! Alas, the loading times are still no where near acceptable. I get maybe 5 seconds of completely black screen before a loading screen even comes visible, then 75-85 seconds of loading. Without loading screen it's maybe 15-20 seconds.

I still insist the mood breaking, ugly loading screen should be ditched all together and be replaced with something more immersive and non disruptive. Old system was much better if GH would just polish it... Just add the loading bar and tips to the old screen with briefing, please. :(

Edited by Skitso

Skitso - maybe something wrong is with your PC? I've just cold booted Xenonuats - created new game and launched a mission against a small scout.

My loading times were: 8 seconds black screen, 10 seconds loading screen. And my Xenonauts aren't installed on SSD.

Just add the loading bar and tips to the old screen with briefing, please. :(

I also would prefer this.

Okay I ran this build for several hours before the first crash. It occurred after I shot down a single medium ufo but there was a bug that caused the red (flying) ufo icon to be displayed over the location where I shot it down. My plan was to cash in with an airstrike but when I hovered over the still red ufo icon, the name on it was something like -747289298 and after I clicked it, it crashed. I suspected as much but not enough to save the game first.

Another thing I noticed was there was one time I shot down a scout and sent in a team to clean up. After I got there I moved my guys out of the transport and ended the turn, and then the mission promptly ended giving me the expected cash credit for the mission. So is that a valid scenario? I'm presuming the game left no survivors from the crash.

There are a few other bugs I found in previous builds that I have not yet tested out in this build. I'll let you all know what I find.

Chris

Oh two more things. One time I sent 2 foxtrots after a small ufo and auto-resolved the combat. It was successful but there was no loss of ammo after the fight. I've also on more than one occasion auto-resolved some fights that were supposed to be 100% where my planes were reduced to 0% health even as I was the victor of the encounter.

Thanks,

Chris