V21 Experimental 2 Available!

Firstly, if you do not know how to access the experimental branch on Steam, please read the instructions (and warnings!) in this thread. All saved games from earlier versions (including experimental versions) are incompatible, attempting to load them will cause problems.

As it has been a while since we've done a new experimental build this one has quite a few changes. The biggest ones are probably the changes to the reaction fire system, the new terror site maps, changes to AI behaviour (so many they have their own changelog section!) and a significant improvement in the speed of alien turns. The new loading screen also makes a return (hopefully working better now!). Not much in the way of balance changes, but that will probably change for the next build.

Also please keep an eye out for any "black square" tiles during ground combat in this build - this is a side effect of the compression algorithm we ran of the tile images. I think I got them all, but if you see any just post them up in the experimental bugs forum and I'll fix them.

Fixes:

- Fixed Reapers not being properly centred on the camera when moving/attacking

- Right clicking on the Ground Combat UI no longer also causes units to turn

- Fixed cash getting drained when trying to build an item with only 1-2 available engineers

- Equipping Predator armour will no longer destroy already equipped incompatible weapons

- Fixed various instances of incorrect UFO placement on new Light Scout maps

- Alien missions can no longer occasionally be detected before they spawn

- Fixed Barracks and Stores screen backgrounds not upgrading

- Fixed potential saved game corruption when a soldier had a corpse in their inventory

- It is now possible to apply a medical kit to a stunned soldier

- The force fire (Ctrl) mode should now highlight units in preference to terrain

- Finally, a proper fix for the soldiers coming back from battles with 98% health!

- Androns now leave scrap metal when over-killed, instead of a human corpse

- Added spectres for crouched Reaper animations

- Changed weapon order in armoury panel so it is consistent between weapon tiers

- Using a Fury to intercept an aircraft no longer displays the Auto-resolve option

- Using Singularity Torpedoes now depletes the players stock of them

- UFOs that grant items immediately on destruction (fighters, bombers) no longer do so if over-killed

- Compressed more game tiles, saving a few hundred more megabytes of disk space

Additions:

- Re-introduced new loading screen

- Reduced the length of time the alien turns take by removing various hidden delays, as much as a 60% reduction

- Added all new Terror Site maps for the standard Town set.

-- There are now 3 maps for each of small, medium and large Terror sites

-- Aliens are distributed in these maps further from the player spawn, which means they are less "rushy"

- The latest aircraft missile/cannon type should now always be added to all interceptors on unlock

- Implemented multipliers for Xenonauts aircraft speed/range per difficulty level (small differences for now)

- Enabled new reaction fire system

-- Units can now keep taking reaction shots (losing initiative with each) until out of TU or until their initiative drops below that of their target

- Added inventory corpse tiles for Harridan and Wraith rank variants

- Updated Autoresolve images for the air combat

- Added interrogation images for the aliens

- Adjusted "Bezerk" unit target selection

- Fixed Ground Combat UI sometimes crashing after loading

AI:

- AI will now end turns looking in the direction they predict to be attacked from

- Civilians and friendly soldiers should no longer enter UFOs

- AI is no longer afraid of smoke

- Units will get into cover if they run out of AP to shoot

- Turn costs now taken into account in pathfinding

- Re-introduced ProbabilisticSearch, which allows the AI to guess where enemies might be (less psychic now)

Balance:

- Re-added elevated soldier starting stats (they were accidentally removed)

- Soviet Town tileset expanded to cover more of the planet (will now be a more generic "cold city" tileset)

Please post your comments on the build here. If you encounter any bugs please post them in the experimental build sub-forum of the bugs forum.

This might be something I've done by accident, but basic armour troops are showing up as wearing jackal armour. It looks like the jackal soldier_spectre.xml files have been put into the basic armour weapon folders. Not that I'm going to correct it, mind you, since jackal looks much cooler than basic anyway.

As a warning, don't do night missions. They either hang or crash (for me, anyway). Anyway, just did a mission. Reaction fire is now very interesting. Tends to happen later, but can be very deadly because you fire all your shots off at once.

Yes, a bug, can verify.

Sebillians actually opened doors of UFO and attacked my crew while i was position them for the attack.... jeeez if there wasn't for new reaction shoot system all of them would end up dead not just one soldier .... (i freaking love how AI behave now )

Edit:However shield guys kept firing at corpse of Sebillian until they run out of TU or ammo (i am not sure really),could this be prevented in future ?I mean Sebillian was killed by other soldier with shotgun (one shoot) and after it fall dead on the ground other two soldiers (shield guys) started shooting at corpse until they run of TU or Initiative (and of course that's waste of ammo).

Edited by Sentelin

How does one orientate their units if right click nolonger turns them?
He means right-clicking within the combat COMMAND UI (lower right menus) not the whole map. Before it was possible to have your mouse in that space and right click on a button intending execute a command, if you "missed" your unit would turn instead. That could be madding. Edited by StellarRat

Edit:However shield guys kept firing at corpse of Sebillian until they run out of TU or ammo (i am not sure really),could this be prevented in future ?I mean Sebillian was killed by other soldier with shotgun (one shoot) and after it fall dead on the ground other two soldiers (shield guys) started shooting at corpse until they run of TU or Initiative (and of course that's waste of ammo).

Can confirm this. Any soldier that can trigger reaction shot on alien will shoot dead body until ran out of ammo or TU.

Edited by EnderWiggin

As an Experimental 2 thread isn't up yet, I'll comment here on the reaction fire. Having played a few more missions I have to say that pistols and shotguns are now surprisingly potent because their reaction modifier means they'll usually fire all their shots before the other guy gets another chance to move or perform an action. Sebbie non-coms are more dangerous than Caesan ones because their poor reflexes are mitigated by the reaction modifier and they get more APs to fire more shots. When breaching or scouting, the guy with the highest reflexes always goes first, and will usually give him a pistol/shield combo because he gets the best modifier to his initative.

You don't actually have to do much with it though.

Just got to carry it and keep it roughly in front of you.

I could see it having some penalty to reaction speed to balance its extra protection.

You get into the situation of it being better protection than not carrying it but attracting more reaction fire if you do so being a liability.

That could be a very fine line to balance.

I am not sure what its actual role would be in that situation.

Not sure I would want to be wearing it while moving or when the aliens might walk out in front of me which really should be the times it is most useful.

Hi,

i'm new here and only played V20 Stable and now a little the V21 experimental, but Shields now seem to be almost worthless compared to V20 stable, i regularly get killed through my shield from a single shot from the front.

On the positive side, i like the small ufo maps and reaction fire seems nice too now, although the bug(?) with the flashbangs not surpressing is a little annyoing ;)

We can't get the crash people are reporting with night missions to happen here - if you are experiencing could you post in this thread so we can track it down more quickly?

@ls35a if you are not seeing the new loading screen then you probably do not have the experimental version installed - what is the version number listed at the top right of the game launcher?

Hi,

i'm new here and only played V20 Stable and now a little the V21 experimental, but Shields now seem to be almost worthless compared to V20 stable, i regularly get killed through my shield from a single shot from the front.

On the positive side, i like the small ufo maps and reaction fire seems nice too now, although the bug(?) with the flashbangs not surpressing is a little annyoing ;)

Try this. It's based on this post by Jeon. Extract it into your Xenonauts folder - you'll know you've done it right if it asks you to overwrite config.xml.