Xenonaut rookie thoughts...

fishnet

Just joined the battle and I have a question already and a few thoughts/observations.

Question- how do you use the medkit? I transferred it to my wounded and bleeding sergeant's hands but NOW I am

stumped in how to use it!. How is this done... (Hurry - He's dying!) :(

Noticed this on my first day in game:

02.49 (x:3150 y:408) Local farmers report discovering circles of unknown origin in fields.

09.53 (x:3423 y:426) Local farmers report discovering circles of unknown origin in fields.

Umm... This shows as in Greenland... (You know - Crop circles in Greenland...) :rolleyes:

Scoring system not fully fleshed out? NO pluses for winning, killing aliens etc. But did minus 2 points for losing civilian. :P

Despite the above I had a ball on that mission. MY soldiers less so - 2 dead, 2 wounded. :eek:

Soldiers can't heal themselves - you need to have someone else patch up the wounded. As for the scoring system, it's undergoing a big change. Extra funding from nations is mostly down to successfully shooting down UFOs, while ground combat gets you short term cash by selling off all that loot. Don't worry about the ground combat summary screen right now. (:

You use a medkit kind of like a weapon.

Have a soldier equip it and stand next to your wounded dude. Now left click the medkit to use it and aim at your wounded guy. Use the mouse wheel or right click to increase the amount of healing you are selecting to do, then left click.

Funny things happen with TU costs at different angles, and if there is a prop in between you, so getting into an orthogonally adjacent square is better than a diagonally adjacent one. Is orthogonal the right word? I mean across the edge of the square, rather than across a corner.

Noticed this on my first day in game:

02.49 (x:3150 y:408) Local farmers report discovering circles of unknown origin in fields.

09.53 (x:3423 y:426) Local farmers report discovering circles of unknown origin in fields.

Umm... This shows as in Greenland... (You know - Crop circles in Greenland...) :rolleyes:

Never heard of Greenlandish icefarmers and their snowfields? man Greenland needs to get a better PR agent! :P

• 4 weeks later...
Ah I thought this thread had a slightly different purpose.

I was all ready to share my Xenonauts rookies thoughts which are generally 'AAArgh it burns why did you make me walk over here' or 'Oh look that's one of those Reapers from the briefing.... Brains...'.

so my first glance was much akin to yours i take it. in so much that i thought this would be a topic about how rookies are nearly useless at shooting or moving. gasp in terror if you wish to try to get them to do both.

thought thinking about it more your quotes may in fact be referencing walking threw fire and use as bait more so then their general lack of skill

My thought is that there should be some kind of a placeholder for "loading screen" once you are done with a mission. When I finished my first one I thought the game just crashed while in reality it was loading up the result screen. By the way, is there a list of what we can expect in future for the game to not be considered "a beta"? I am asking because game was out for quite some time now and it's certainly more polished than at start.

thought thinking about it more your quotes may in fact be referencing walking threw fire and use as bait more so then their general lack of skill

I am using shields so they can draw and take some fire while their teammates take up better positions. They're also good for entering shot down UFOs too.

I think I'll keep it, if that helps you. Since I know it works it won't be as much of a problem.

Another thing I'd like to suggest is to have some kind of a list telling you what has been delivered to a base. I hired additional scientists and soldiers, but I had no idea where they are. After some time I read message that something has been delivered. I guessed it then that it's a way of telling me that my new personnel is here, but info is very vague and requires of you to memorize what exactly you were ordering.

Doesn't help me; I'm just another forumite :). But it probably helps the devs.

Seconding the delivery list; I quite often forget what I have ordered because I tend to only get to play in short bursts, which means I often order the items, save the game and quit, then come back a day or two later to play again and get told some items have arrived.

Doesn't help me; I'm just another forumite . But it probably helps the devs.

That's what I meant. Sorry for confusion.

Another thing I have to ask: can I roll one of my bases to cut the costs - I placed it in not so good position - or do I have to wait for aliens to do it after I abandon it completely?

Is there some mechanic that disables reaction shots on some folks? Most of the time, they shoot the back of their fellow soldiers instead of the enemy (what can be attributed to poor unit placement on my side), so I just keep spinning them until they're out of TUs.

Also, is it just me or is the ballistic shotgun pretty much useless most of the time? I'd expect it to kill unarmored enemies in one shot from close range, but no such luck - burst fire from M16 does the job much better and usually more reliably.

Edited by HammerHead

Is there some mechanic that disables reaction shots on some folks? Most of the time, they shoot the back of their fellow soldiers instead of the enemy (what can be attributed to poor unit placement on my side), so I just keep spinning them until they're out of TUs.

Also, is it just me or is the ballistic shotgun pretty much useless most of the time? I'd expect it to kill unarmored enemies in one shot from close range, but no such luck - burst fire from M16 does the job much better and usually more reliably.

if you have your guys in front kneel down they can be shot over even with reaction fire but they have to be standing on top of one another. just like shooting over cover, other then that crouch works good for spam burning turn units.

as to the ballistic shotgun i love it. the big issue is any thing less then about 60 TU or so and your going to have a very hard time getting into effective range before the aliens kill your guys who likely dont have any armor threw most of the time you would use ballistics. however if you can get into range where a burst fire for 40 TU can reliably kill an alien you take 2 snap shots with a shot gun and hit him for twice as many hits as it shoots 3 shells at a time. shotguns have very little armor penetration so its less effective on later types, but the sectoid stand ins melt in my experience. the other added bonus is guys with shotguns standing at choke,so say the door to a ufo. but your not ready to bust in just yet your shot guns give you a pretty good chance to safely kill any thing that trys to pop out. i use at least 2-4( this applies more to lazer and plasma then ballistic ) out of 12 guys for bases where you end up having reapers or the wraths jumping around all the time works wonders as long as your not sitting in open fields.

Since the game tracks arctic, desert, etc..., would it be particularly difficult to make a few more lines and then give them some more conditions?

E.g.

"Strange northern lights observed" could be arctic only

"Sudden sandstorms" could be desert only

"Crop circles" could be farmland only

"Intense smog" could be industrial only

Who's there to observe crop circles in the middle of Greenland?

I mean, there are dogsled patrols, the occasional military aircraft, etc...

Intense Smog: Let's throw a bone to the conspiracy theories out there that say aliens are already visiting us! The govt. is telling us lies about smog! It's actually aliens coming down to invade us and fortunately, the xenonauts of real life are more competent than my ragtag band of misfits who keep getting shot the minute they leave their dropship.

So, is it possible for an alien to move roughly 10 tiles and still have a chance for 4 reaction fire shots from a plasma rifle (no burst)? Because it's getting really ridiculous on the experimental build, you tackle an alien, and he shoots you dead, pretty much every time.

The alien plasma rifle costs 25% of max AP to fire.

So unless there is a bug, which appears unlikely judging by some of the test results posted in other threads, it should be impossible to move at all and still fire 4 snap shots.

If you have any hard evidence of that happening then post up a report, preferably with a save file attached so it can be easily reproduced.

It would be nice to know if there are any specific aliens that demonstrate the behaviour you mention just in case there is a problem somewhere.