Skitso's Oppressive UI MOD

Skitso

I'm using them without the xml settings files, will I be losing features or breaking things especially with some script files i decided to use anyway? It seems unproblematic currently.

And will you be releasing the darker geoscape please?

Edited by Caaygun

Hey, having some trouble with the mod. I'm using v21 stable, and extracted the files from the .rar into the assets folder. It installs fine and looks great, but when I try to quit from the game to the main menu, the game freezes and I have to force it to close with the task manager. I don't think I did, but I could very easily have done something wrong. Has anyone else had the same issue?

EDIT: Nevermind, determined mod was not the issue.

Edited by MortuusSum

Yeah, it will most likely work in some degree, but many new features that are added to the game since last supported version will not work AND might cause stability issues. Also many of the new balance fixes are not supported if you use non compatible mod version.

• 4 weeks later...

I love your work on the darker tone, mate! I've enjoyed the initial geoscape more than its current version and what you've done certainly adds to the doomsday atmosphere, as well as polishing some of the raw bits of the UI.

I got a question for you. Is it possible to edit the geoscape colors so that interceptors appear blue and UFOs red (or vice versa)? I couldn't find any distinction in the gameconfig file.

I love your work on the darker tone, mate! I've enjoyed the initial geoscape more than its current version and what you've done certainly adds to the doomsday atmosphere, as well as polishing some of the raw bits of the UI.

I got a question for you. Is it possible to edit the geoscape colors so that interceptors appear blue and UFOs red (or vice versa)? I couldn't find any distinction in the gameconfig file.

Thanks. Glad you like it! Ufo colors are image based and can't be changed by just altering config files. If you want the UFO's to be red, just do a clean reinstall of the game and install the Oppressive UI Mod and leave ufo icon graphics uninstalled. (don't copy that folder from the archive into game directory)

Edited by Skitso

Thanks. Glad you like it! If you want the UFO's to be red, just do a clean reinstall of the game and install the Oppressive UI Mod and leave ufo icon graphics uninstalled. (don't copy that folder from the archive into game directory)

Yeah, was looking in the wrong place. Found the files in the textures folder, no need to reinstall as I keep backup of every single file replaced by a mod. Thanks for the directions!

• 3 weeks later...

Cool, have been looking forward to trying this for ages. I've updated the entry in the mod list thread to reflect it's compatible with the newest version.

Also, quick question: you'd made mention of (re-)adding to this mod darker night-time shadow again. Have you done so in the new version and if not are you planning to?

Yea, this version includes very dark and also slightly color graded to blue night missions (thanks Giovanni for custom code for this). There's a screenshot of this in the OP.

EDIT: also kabill, I'm dying to get some feedback from our #1 modder in the community! :)

Edited by Skitso

Shall give some proper feedback when I've actually had chance to play (I was hoping to today, but have instead spent a combined 8 hours redownloading the game twice). But three thoughts from a very brief first impressions:

1) It's gorgeous. It really is. That was literally my first thought when the geoscape loaded up. I like the shape and feel of the geoscape screen (I think the objective panel makes a huge difference there) and love the transparency on the pop-up menus. The colours all contrast well for ease of seeing things in the menus; I can't actually remember the vanilla version now but the stats on the soldier recruitment page feel a bit easier to read too.

2) That said, the transparency on the geoscape also feels slightly odd. I think this is when there's a base/radar underneath - seeing it pop through the menu slightly doesn't quite sit right with me. I'm not sure there's anything you can (or should!) do about this, though: I imagine I will get used to it when I've played it for more than 5 minutes!

3) The UFO icons are very dark against the geoscape background and are a little hard to see. I'd suggest increasing the brightness to something comparable with the player aircraft, perhaps? Although I don't know how difficult it would then be to distinguish UFOs from player aircraft.

It's gorgeous. It really is.

Thanks! :) It's been a helluva job, but it turned out quite nice.

The transparency on the geoscape also feels slightly odd.

Yeah, it's a known "issue", but there's pretty much nothing I can do about it, except to remove transparency altogether. :/ It's something you will probably get used to, as it did bother me at first too, but now I'm ok with it.

The UFO icons are very dark against the geoscape background and are a little hard to see.

This is something I tinkered a lot with, and would not be happy to change any more. (it's a colossal job, by the way ;)) So, sorry, they are gonna stay. :P

Yeah, it's a known "issue", but there's pretty much nothing I can do about it, except to remove transparency altogether. :/ It's something you will probably get used to, as it did bother me at first too, but now I'm ok with it.

Nice to know it wasn't just me!

This is something I tinkered a lot with, and would not be happy to change any more. (it's a colossal job, by the way ;)) So, sorry, they are gonna stay. :P

That's fair enough. It's something that, again, I'll probably get used to in any case.

Skitso, I've found what appears to be a problem with the download/installation of the mod.

Everything works fine if I extract the mod directly onto my game files. However, if I extract it into a folder first and then copy across the files into my Xenonauts directory, it causes CTD on game load.

I don't know if there's anything you can do about this, and running 'cleanfolder.bat' seems to fix it (although I don't know whether it's doing something else as well - it runs too quick for me to see). But I thought it was worth mentioning in case other people have issues and it might perhaps be worth making it clear in the OP that you should extract straight onto the game files.

I'm trying to pin down what the problem is. Odd that you've not had it. What unpacker are you using?

EDIT: Sorted it. For some reason, I thought the file was archives as a .7zip file rather than a .rar file and was using a 7zip unpacker instead. I guess it was having some issues. Using a .rar compressor, I was able to unpack the file and copy it across with no issues; I assume I should be able to repack it fine as well then.

Sorry about that.

Edited by kabill