V20 Stable Candidate 2 available!

Firstly, if you do not know how to access the experimental branch on Steam, please read the instructions (and warnings!) in this thread. All saved games from earlier versions (including experimental versions) are incompatible, attempting to load them will cause problems.

We have resolved the major bugs discovered in the candidate from yesterday, and included a few fixes too. If all goes well this build will be pushed directly to the main Steam branch in the next few days.

Fixes:

- Fixed the problem where starting a game, exiting, then starting a new one would cause your starting base to be wrong (and then caused many other problems)

- Fixed a freeze on the Geoscape that sometimes occured when UFOs spawned and the player has lost the funding of a continent

- Fixed the number of "Unassigned" soldiers being calculated incorrectly when waiting for new hires to arrive

- Unassigned soldier category now accessible correctly when soldiers are en-route to base

- Crash when using Soldier Equip screen for secondary base with troops en-route fixed

- Updated the "dropship crashed" popup

- Fixed not being unable to scroll the GC view with the arrow keys after reaction fire, AI turn, etc. until mouse was moved

- Fixed light sources being updated during the day as if it were night (performance improvement only, no gameplay effect)

- Fixed the game getting stuck if you crouched a soldier who was in the middle of another animation

- Fixed an issue where both human and alien units could move through props if their destination was set before they revealed an obstacle in their path

- Fixed an issue where the game would sometimes display a black "TURN X" screen after loading a game

- Fixed explanatory tooltips for ground combat displaying before the GUI has properly initialised

Additions:

- Moved a large number of hard coded strings into strings.xml (For translations)

- Added a load of new tips for the loading screen

Please post your comments on the build here. If you encounter any bugs please post them in the experimental build sub-forum of the bugs forum. Please use the beta forum for in-depth discussion of the current Geoscape and Ground Combat balance, but feel free to post brief opinions here too.

Also it is my last day in the office today, so have a good holiday everyone and I will see you all in January!

Ok, just updated to V20.2 and still had the first mission crash on loading.

I will do another verify and try again.

Update: Steam updated a 240kb file again (Is this file being corrupted)? I will try again.

Update: No luck, first ground combat CTD on loading screen...any ideas?

Edited by steveuk

Still can't reproduce that crash at all and nor can Aaron. If either of you have fast connections, please could you delete the whole game from the Steam folders and redownload it? Also make sure you are starting a new game rather than loading an old one.

If someone does that it will at least confirm it's definitely a bug in the code, rather than in Steam. FGART, I saw the game was working on one of your other PCs in a previous thread, right?

Also, if you post up your screen resolutions where you are getting the crash, that'd help too. It's quite often resolution dependent if some people are getting it and others not.

Still can't reproduce that crash at all and nor can Aaron. If either of you have fast connections, please could you delete the whole game from the Steam folders and redownload it?
Redownloading...
If someone does that it will at least confirm it's definitely a bug in the code, rather than in Steam. FGART, I saw the game was working on one of your other PCs in a previous thread, right?
I've got a desktop with 2 OS installed (WinXp 32 and Win7 64) and 1 steam folder for them (on non-system HDD). So i use same game data files on different OS.
Also, if you post up your screen resolutions where you are getting the crash, that'd help too.
Once game data will be redownloaded.

Started a new game after the update to RC2, got a CTD when loading into the first ground combat. I'm reinstalling the game from scratch now. I'll update on how it goes.

edit: Screen resolution was 1920x1080, Win 7 64bits.

Edited by Keyser

Hello :)

CTD when trying to open soldier inventory during my first ground combat.

I've tried to reload game. It crash immediatly as soon as i click on inventory. I will try to create another game and see if it CTD.

7 64bits, 1680*1050, new game with v20SC2

EDIT: I tried to create another game. CTD again as soon as i try to click on the backpack of any soldier during ground combat...

Edited by Alturys

Chris, I started a new game after re-downloading and the first combat crashed on loading screen. I quit and started again using windowed mode and the first combat initiated. This could be a fluke so I will try a few more times.

Keyser Thanks Keyser, It has no effect on the game then?

Hey dont know if anyone saw this played most of my first mission before inventory crash to desktop but i was getting alot of camera lockups. wasd keys and mouse pan would stop working for a bit every turn it seemed. Couldnt find a pattern behind it and it would prob go for 5-10 seconds but only way to change view when it happens is selecting different troopers.