Mission idea: downed pilot rescue

squigoth

Had an idea for a new type of mission for the game... I lost an interceptor over land and thought what a cool mission it would be for me to have to go in and rescue the downed pilot from being captured by the aliens (the aliens landed and tried to capture him)...

That would make for a neat scenario.

Would it be hard to code an allied AI to follow your trooper once you got one of your guys close to him? The object would be to get the pilot back to the ship or destroy the aliens (or both).

It could be a random rare event spawned by a aircraft shoot down over land.

I think is a great idea;)

As do I. It reminds me of a mission in UFO: Aftermath, where you had to rescue a downed fighter pilot. All you had to do was spot him, take control of the pilot and then lead him like any other soldier to the drop zone for safety. The pilot had average amount of TUs, a pistol and a few extra rounds to fight with. Obviously not a very competent combatant with his current loadout, but that´s what your team is there for, provide cover and eliminate enemies targeting the pilot.

It was a nice mission but it got rather repetitive. I still hope they can implement it into the game before release... :P

For me it wouldn't be much of a motivation to search for a random guy... Yeah it's fine and all, but I can just hire another one

What is the benefit of saving a pilot? Do I get some kind of a reward?(and please, no medals)That's the skeptic in me talking...

So I can see 2 ways of getting past this while making the game a lot more exciting. You ready?

1.Give stats to the pilots(just like to your ground troops)

I mean we only have planes, as if in drone. No pilots, no stats.... I mean come on... When they graduated from the academy shouldn't someone have better skills, reaction, wit or something... They are live human beings, not robots...

And the stats will serve as a motivation to either save or abandon the pilot. For example, if I had a pilot with 50 accuracy... meh, can get another one... but if my pilot who had 100 kills and had 90 accuracy was downed, I would summon everyone to his rescue...

Strike teams go go go... take out that grey scum

If you win, you get your badass pilot back. If you lose, well you just lost a valuable member of Xenonaut Task force.

2. Change pilot rescue to plane recovery missions

This mission should be available for custom built airplanes like MiG - 31 or X-37 Corssair.

The implication is really simple... the aliens downed a MiG or X-37(or other custom built airplane).

Now they landed a commando crew to take capture it for analysis. Your task is either to locate hold the plane crash scene for 5-10-20 turns(depends on the game balance and difficulty balance) or eliminate all the aliens for extra cash.

I didn't include the Condors, as they are Factory built and aliens should have enough data about them from reconaissance.

The Mig 31, the X series are new models so they should trigger the alien interest.

If you succeed, you get your plane back(well, the damaged part atleast). If you fail, you lose your planes or the aliens should be a lot more effective in taking down these planes(more damage, etc)

Edited by Caesar22

For me it wouldn't be much of a motivation to search for a random guy... Yeah it's fine and all, but I can just hire another one

What a nice business attitude you have here... We need to keep this guy out of the Army, or shoot him at night if he is already in.

On side note, introducing pilots as new kind of X personnel is a good idea. With stats and ability to bail out and survive. Add 'Eject' button to the combat screen, so we can save pilot in the hopeless situation.

When this has come up previously, along with stats for Scientists and Vehicle Drivers, the feeling has been that the game is trying to focus most on the soldiers experience on the Battlescape, and their experience against the invaders, much as the original game did.

I really liked the scientist skills in Apocalypse...>sigh<