Androns; is there a way to not just die to them?

what the ♥♥♥♥ am i suposed to do vs ANDRON bases?

pic related

http://imgur.com/6YKw7j8

i cant flashbang them, their androns

i cant supress them some other way

i cant open fire and eat a full set of reaction fire from THREE androns at close range. i will lose half my party. I have save scummed and tried.

I cant open the door and blast it with rockets from a distance down the hallway. no rockets left, used them all on the preceeeding rooms.

at BEST i can stand way back in the hall way, fill it with smoke, crack the door, then slowly creep forward pushing the smoke out. this continues until the androns are inside the smoke themself; then 1 of 3 things can happen

1. The andron moves from cover, takes 3 steps, sees my guy, stops, and uses remaining tu to shoot him at point blank.

2. the andron camps in cover, i move forward one tile at a time, when i reveal him he gets reaction fire(the same reaction fire i dont get when he walks up on me) and kills my guy at point blank

3. i use the smoke to manuver into the room, but avoid the androns, once inside i begin spraying into the smoke hoping to hit at random tiles where i think they MIGHT still be. this burns tons of ammo that i really dont have. esp if i need to do this room AGAIN on the other side of the base with the commander

even using smoke in this manner is going ot eat 6-8 smokes.

So seriously... What the ♥♥♥♥ am i suposed to do vs androns? just eat it up and die? if that is the case then i will just have 2 or 3 guys turn C4 on to 1 turn then rush them. itd be just as effective as anything else i am trying

It's difficult to tell.. as there are some details I need from you. Do you have any explosive grenades? You look as if you have lasers, do you have alenium grenades? If you don't....

Hm. Let's think it through.

You're facing 1 green guard, and what looks like 2 dull blue soliders.

The laser rifles will penetrate the guard's armour so do 45pts base damage, but the solider's armour will absorb 3pts of damage. That's 42 base damage. The laser shotties don't penetrate, so 20pts base on the guard (per pellet), and 12pts base on the soliders. The guard has 80HPs, the soliders 120HPs. You'll need at least 2 hits per rifle on the guard, and 3 hits per rifle on the soliders (not accounting for random damage). The laser shotties are more of a wildcard. Anything from 2-4 shots for the guard, and possibly up to 10 on the soliders.

The guard has 50 aps. The 2 soliders have 60 APs. The guards are kitted out with heavy plasma, which will ignore jackal armour and while the plasma rifle doesn't ignore jackal armour, it will still do 35pts base damage. Burst fire for a heavy plasma should (in theory) cost all the APs for a solider which means bugs permitting they can't unload a burst shot if they move. But a snap costs 20, so an solider could move and fire two close-range snap shots, which would deffo gib a jackal armoured soldier.

If you've got no grenades, you're in a pickle, and no mistake.

You need to get round them, to expose them as they're dug in. If you try blasting from where you are, you're likely to just hit the cover. I see you have.. what, two laser rifles? These guys are going to have to do the heavy lifting. They're the only ones who stand a chance of killing the soldiers. I think you're going to have to pick a sacrifical lamb, get private redshirt to draw the reaction fire of the Androns then get in with the laser rifles and put the soliders down. The laser shotties can handle the guard, but they can't handle the soliders. No way.

Edited by Max_Caine

The way you kill Androns is the same way you kill everything else in V19: blind fire/nade spam (using electropulse or better) through smoke.

In V20 use the old blind fire tactics with explosives. For precision weapons, just scout with the upgraded tactical shield, soak the RF if necessary, then throw down with a shit ton of fire power.

i have a few nades and 2 rockets. my team for the assult was 2 snipers 2 heavys 2 assults 2 rifles, all laser. the heavys each have a rocket launcher and 2 spares, each soldier also carried a spare rocket for like a total of 10 rockets or something. im down to my last 2.

grenades are 4 smoke 2 flash 2 frag 1 stun on everyone, 5 clips of laser ammo, and a medkit(cept for heavies) though i do not have as many now after pushing into the base.

jackal armor on all cept for the rifles and snipers. i tried laying smoke in the hallway, cracking open the doors, firing rockets and nades in, closing the door, but i get reaction fired and lose guys

If this is in v19(idk how different it is in 20), my question is why you have laza weapons but nothing more then jackale armor. If you get the next level armor you can literary tank mele range fire(not advice, but I had people survive some rough stuff with that armor on)

However, I understand if you simply went for more laza(as I only build laza sniper rifles till I got all the guys fitted with better armor) but you should in that case have at least two guys with shields and those two should have the better armor. Shield/armor combo makes your guys take a lot of punishment and they act like mobile cover.

The base would still be tough though. I did my first base attack after the first terror mission, both the base and terror was Sebillian

based and both were some of the most heart stoping missions I have ever done in my life.(this game is awesome for that, but besides that). I lost 4 out of 8 people and I prepared for that base a lot.

But yea, my advice really is: Combat shields.

I know they become a lot less tough later in the game(at this point a full auto hit to it will normally wreck it) but if you arnt going to build better armor it is the best you can get. And it generally is always good to have two of them(I have two dedicated combat shield guys and one guy with a rocketlauncher and 2 extra rockets and a shield plus laza pistol(with a heavy carrying 6 extra laza ammo mags to supply him and others who run out)

i have a few nades and 2 rockets. my team for the assult was 2 snipers 2 heavys 2 assults 2 rifles, all laser. the heavys each have a rocket launcher and 2 spares, each soldier also carried a spare rocket for like a total of 10 rockets or something. im down to my last 2.

grenades are 4 smoke 2 flash 2 frag 1 stun on everyone, 5 clips of laser ammo, and a medkit(cept for heavies) though i do not have as many now after pushing into the base.

jackal armor on all cept for the rifles and snipers. i tried laying smoke in the hallway, cracking open the doors, firing rockets and nades in, closing the door, but i get reaction fired and lose guys

How do you lose guys?

Here is an EZ step by step method for clearing any room in an alien base with no casualties:

1. Have one guy adjacent to the door. He is the door man.

2. Have the door man open the door to spot.

3. Have the door man close the door.

4. Have someone throw down a smoke grenade just before the door.

5. Have the door man open the door.

6. Hose down the Androns (or whatever else), especially with autofire/shottie spam, and/or spam electronades or better.

7. Win.

How do you lose guys?

Here is an EZ step by step method for clearing any room in an alien base with no casualties:

1. Have one guy adjacent to the door. He is the door man.

2. Have the door man open the door to spot.

3. Have the door man close the door.

4. Have someone throw down a smoke grenade just before the door.

5. Have the door man open the door.

6. Hose down the Androns (or whatever else), especially with autofire/shottie spam, and/or spam electronades or better.

7. Win.

actually, if he doesn't have explosives to blow up the other half of the door that wouldn't work, your doorman can't be 'adjacent' to the door in the case of his picture, he would just get gunned down.

I still swear on combat shields and simply taking the fight to them. Combat shield units with level 3 armor should be able to take the reaction fire, if this is anything like v19

Why do you have to blow up a door?

This is assuming a typical unlocked door; this standard operating procedure works perfectly for such doors, including the one in the screenshot.

Combat shields of course work for spotting and soaking RF when you have to; just substitute the door shenanigans from my SOP with a combat shield spotter of choice; retreat him back into smoke after the aliens have been spotted and proceed to open fire.

Edited by Surrealistik

what kills my guys is reaction fire. its how i lose guys 9/10 times on missions in general.

i am thinking i spent and played badly at the geoscape i have 6 bases, Russia, Aus, Africa, NA, SA, EU. Each base is 3 run ways with 3 condors each with gattling lasers. the bases also have a radar, a living area, a store room, a laser turret, and like 8 guys for a small defense force. The guys started off at my main base and as they rank up i send them off. so each base has a staff of like a major, a feww sgts, a few lts, and a few pvts.

My main base is sitting on 20 soldiers, 15 scientist, 15 tech, 3 condor with 3 gattling laser and the dropship. i am on month 4 from start and just learned stun weapons a bit ago. had lasers before stuns. just learned how to do wolf but have no cash for it.

i probably failed at the geoscape and now im so far behind its overly hard?

Why do you have to blow up a door?
Blowing the doors is an excellent way to kill any aliens that are standing in the front of the ship. This is my standard entry tactic on larger vessels. You'll usually kill 1 or 2 right off the bat this way. Oh, and in case your wondering, no there is no sensitive alien tech at the front of the ship so you won't lose out on money or tech.