Aliens inside ships opening the door to attack...

squigoth

I've been playing for months now and I've yet to see the aliens open the door of a ship and attack my troopers as they assemble outside the door for an assault. That used to happen in "that other game" and was the cause of allot of apprehension while I was getting ready to assault a ship.

Perhaps we need to tweak the AI and bring that into the game a bit more.

The weird thing is, I have seen the AI do this in level 3 ships(the ones after scouts). At least the 1 and only time so far I have done that level of ship. I am not sure why but they 3 of them opened the door and ran outside, shot a bit, then kinda ran back inside(the AI derped out a lot during that 'attack', letting me come out of it without so much as a scratch but it did make me go 'oh f..' for a moment)

Yeah, it was a decision that Defensive aliens stay inside the ship at all times. Which we'll probably revert now then :)

That's good to hear. Thanks.

Another thing I haven't seen is an alien on the second floor of a building... yet. But then I wasn't getting that far into the game when the version would change and wipe out my game saves. I've now figured out how to turn off automatic updates and I'm chugging along with this build (well the last one).

I'm sure all the old XCOM players have stories about going nuts looking for that one last alien hold out hiding in some remote room or corner of a building.:)

The AI can handle them; there just wasn't any incentive.

The next release will have a weight for this preference in aiprops.xml

Hint: The latest build brought a host of tweakable properties for the AI; per race and per rank. You can find it in aiprops.

So buildings don't appear to the aliens as good defensive positions unless you tell them they are? I would think the aliens would love cement building because they are like little forts. Does it calculate on the fly how good a location is or are all the tile "pre-set" with a desirability rating? If it's on the fly I'm kind of curious about how aliens determine where a "good spot" is in general? Is a weighting based on field of vision, toughness of available cover, staying close to other aliens, etc...?

So buildings don't appear to the aliens as good defensive positions unless you tell them they are? I would think the aliens would love cement building because they are like little forts. Does it calculate on the fly how good a location is or are all the tile "pre-set" with a desirability rating? If it's on the fly I'm kind of curious about how aliens determine where a "good spot" is in general? Is a weighting based on field of vision, toughness of available cover, staying close to other aliens, etc...?

It's calculated on the fly, each tile evaluated according to several aspects (which are calculated; so the AI will work with any maps contributed through mods without needing annotations). I will make a post detailing all the aspects; for now there's an explanation of all the different weights in aiprops.xml (in the assets folder :))

It's calculated on the fly, each tile evaluated according to several aspects (which are calculated; so the AI will work with any maps contributed through mods without needing annotations). I will make a post detailing all the aspects; for now there's an explanation of all the different weights in aiprops.xml (in the assets folder :))

Well, I'll have a look. Sounds interesting. Thanks for the info. BTW, are many AI changes still planned? At one point giving the aliens some ability to use a basic fire and manuever cooperative tactics was discussed. (One group fires and covers while another group tries to get close and get the enemy in a cross fire.) I don't think they can do that yet.

• 5 months later...

Not from my experience. V1.03 I've actually adopted a "Explode the door" Policy because of aliens darting in and out to shoot at my guys who are stacking, friendly fire became a nasty issue in the cross and the option to disable using stored TU doesn't seem to work.

Now I stack everyone around the edges of the door side, and the MG pours into the opening until I've whittled down opposition, then I make a clear sweep of the first room.

Not from my experience. V1.03 I've actually adopted a "Explode the door" Policy because of aliens darting in and out to shoot at my guys who are stacking, friendly fire became a nasty issue in the cross and the option to disable using stored TU doesn't seem to work.

Now I stack everyone around the edges of the door side, and the MG pours into the opening until I've whittled down opposition, then I make a clear sweep of the first room.

Nice, I guess i've just not encountered this behaviour yet :) Thanks for the info!

I had the impression multiple times that the AI is cheating in a way that they know more than they should:

Example: If you position your troops in safe distance to the door and observe it for multiple turns nothing happens.

But if you move them closer, they start running to you and attack as if they already knew you became good targets. The same goes for teleporters. Secure a teleporter from a landing ship in a safe distance, nothing happens. But if you are standing right there someone ports down and shoots you in the head.

When I used to bring a vehicle with me, I kinda exploited that behaviour a couple of times by giving them the vehicle as bait: Moved the vehicle to the ship door (corvettes) and lured them out of their corners as they wanted to shoot at it. After that I moved the vehicle away and shot them down.

Of course these can just be accidents. But it would be really interesting if the AI is “all knowing” in this game or if each unit acts for itself with limited knowledge of the situation.

In Jagged Alliance 2 for example each unit was acting for itself but of course communicated with other units. But in difference to Xenonauts JA2 has noises. So moving or shooting outside of the door can be heard by the guys on the other side of the door (and the AI was quite exploitable by using noises to your advantage).

Example: If you position your troops in safe distance to the door and observe it for multiple turns nothing happens.

But if you move them closer, they start running to you and attack as if they already knew you became good targets.

I am sure that is not the case, or at least it wasn't in V22. On at least a few occasions, there were aliens popping out of the UFO when I didn't have troops in close proximity.

I am sure that is not the case, or at least it wasn't in V22. On at least a few occasions, there were aliens popping out of the UFO when I didn't have troops in close proximity.

AI seems to cheat a bit when it comes to engagements. I noticed that they decide to move forward or move back and hide depending on the distance of my soldiers, but there is no way they can see their full movement.

As for UFO breaching. It seems they pop out at random. They sometimes go out when full team is nearby and sometimes when there is 1 or 2. ALthough each time they pop out, they have good chances on pot shots / insta kills, as if they knew exact position of troops before hand.