Odd first air battle "glitches"

Okay, so I fired up the new 20.7, sped the time up and a light scout shows up. I send a squadron of my two starter condors to intercept. After chasing it in circles and burning most of my fuel, the scout makes a 180 degree turn and I'm in business.

Once my planes close to firing range, I notice condor 2 isn't facing the UFO, but is instead heading for the dotted line in front of the UFO. I know this is normal at longer distances, but the UFO is close enough to be in C2's firing arc (if it was going in the right direction). Both of my condors shoot their missiles correctly (and miss, I forgot to stutter the launches), but condor 2 unloads all cannon ammo at the dotted line instead of the ufo. I clicked on Condor 2 and then clicked on the UFO (to manually target) several times while it was firing, but it would only target and fire at the UFO's trajectory.

Also, Condor 1 ran out of fuel well before 2 (2 had about 14% left), which I think is strange since they left as a single unit squadron and should have burned the same amount of fuel.

I doubt it matters, but before my squadron engaged the target, 2 more light scouts showed up and one landed, and my Charlie was enroute to the landing site when this strange air battle took place.