Getting slaughtered in air battles

screeg

This is early game. I researched the Foxtrot in a hurry only to find out it has no cannon. Anything better than a Light Scout I can't seem to handle with the Condors. Any advice would be appreciated, or if there's a thread on this topic already point me in that direction.

Thanks!

This is early game. I researched the Foxtrot in a hurry only to find out it has no cannon. Anything better than a Light Scout I can't seem to handle with the Condors. Any advice would be appreciated, or if there's a thread on this topic already point me in that direction.

Thanks!

You should be able to handle Scouts and even Corvettes and Landing Ships with Condors and Foxtrots.

Here's a very brief summary: First thing, don't use auto resolve. Second, you'll have to take manual control of your planes and mess with the throttles and positions. You always want to use a combination of Condors and Foxtrots. Don't ever send Foxtrots with no Condors to help them! The basic tactic for the Scouts and Corvettes is to slow down the Foxtrots and let the Condors engage first. The Condors can dodge enemy fire using the "roll" button. You need to pause (spacebar) all the time so you can click "roll" as the enemy shots come in. Once the Foxtrots lock on and fire, just tell them to disengage and go to full afterburner since they have no other weapons. Don't let Foxtrots get shot at because they can't roll and will get hit! There are lots of other tactics besides this one, but it should get you through Corvettes.

Edited by StellarRat

Ah ha! That's very interesting, especially that Foxtrots can't roll despite having a "roll" button.

The enemy seems to (wisely) concentrate fire on one plane and down it.

I'll give this a shot.

The roll button is disabled for Foxtrots. Also, the "enemy" shoots at the closest target, so you can take advantage of this by putting Condors in front to soak up their shots while the Foxtrots lock on and fire.