Hi all,

I've uncovered my first alien base up in Canada (a small Sebilian base)... and duly died horribly when attempting to assault it. After the entry room and corridor there's a firing squad of aliens waiting behind a wall. I find that their reaction fire kills rifle/assault guys so have switched a rocket barrage to clear these first defenders, but the defenders just keep on coming from deeper in the base.

What are your tactics to clear the first room and then proceed onto the other rooms?

At what kind of tech level do you consider taking on a base?

Sebillians are aggressive and don't like to hang around waiting for you. They will keep on coming if you don't kill the defenders who can see you quickly. They also have a nasty habit of walking into your nicely set-up team just as you're getting ready to breach the next room. Smoke grenades are a big help, as is lots of C4. I have found it's best to blow up the door leading to the first room and storm it under the cover of smoke.

I reloaded and assaulted it again and the base had turned into a Ceasean one, a little bit easier to crack but I still lost 3 guys. The last room with the commander was painful. Next time I'm going to double up on smokes and flashbangs and have a couple of rookies soften up the first room with rpgs before moving in. I had a mix of laser/ballistic guys mostly in Jackal armour.

Interesting vid Tascruel, thanks for taking the time to upload it. So, if you have a guy kneeling and the guy directly behind fires it will *always* miss the kneeling soldier? Just like in Zulu?

Edited by jonny211

thx tascruel I did not know i could hit guys in the smoke without touching them (cause of 0% to hit). Mb just shouldve tried sometime

edit: @jonny211: Yes they always shoot past the soldier as they do with cover that is right in front of you. So you can use Soldiers with shields as makeshift, moving cover.

Edited by StK

@screeg how did you kill the last alien? Because I had a similar problem but I think to remember it always happend when i threw a grenade at the last alien and killed it before the grenade exploded... but I'm not sure. Though I searched every nook and cranny for an Alien and couldnt find one.

Which raises the question of what does the power core look like? And after the ass-kicking we took it still sucks to get no money.

Think I'm going to try an earlier save and killing them again.

---

You know, the thing I saw that I thought *should* be a power core, a massive glowing machine in a square room, got blown up early in the mission.

----

Solved: one unit was hiding in a tiny corridor accessible only by vent, which I didn't know was a thing.

Edited by screeg

The correct way to resolve any and all encounters in this game is to play like a God damned coward. Small bases are easy. Set your sniper up crouched in the middle of the first row from the door, set two assaults up on either side and then line the rest of your squad up however you want.

Open the door with an assault on turn one and have the sniper take out whoever is in the hallway. Run two riflemen and your machine gunner up to the door right away. From here on out, the fight will consist of: opening the door, suppressing/ destroying obstacles with your heavy weapons, taking a couple of pot shots and closing the doors.

As far as I have found, aliens hate running up and opening doors on you. Works well if your front line at the door is kneeling so a second line can continue the assault before the doors get closed. Be a coward; it works.

I'll have to fix that then :D
You've done a great job on the AI Gijs-Jan. It's one of my favorite feature of Xenonauts. The only thing I've noticed is the aliens don't use buildings for cover very well. That has improved in the newest version. However, it seems to me that windows are still not used very effectively. Might have something to do with the AI wanting to move in on the Xenonauts instead of sniping at them.