V20 Experimental Build 4 Hotfix 1 Available!

We have a fix for the issue with aliens (and Xenonauts) shooting through UFO walls, so we have decided to push it right away as a hotfix. It also includes a few other fixes, mainly because they have already been committed so why not include them.

Fixes:

- Fixed two issues that could allow weapons to penetrate UFO hulls

-- First was an issue to do with blocking shots that travel between diagonal tiles

-- Second was an issue with the updated accuracy formula where a wall would reduce the chance to hit to zero, but then the close range bonus would override that

- Fixed the way jetpack animations are displayed (they now display the full take-off/land animation before moving)

- Removed the blue tint from "stunned" units - this was a debug tool, your are meant to find out by checking their corpse

- Enabled an animation for healing soldiers

You all are very considerate to bring out that hotfix - thank you.

That being firmly in mind, I just wanted to let you know it seems to have caused a bug with the soldier combat roles. In the base's soldier equipping screen, I tried to change the soldier's combat roles and got a bunch of repetitions of "Label1" and the same icon. I started a new game and it was the same. Just trying to be helpful...

I'm here to do my part in the

Like those who have posted above, I can confirm that the Hotfix has damaged the Soldier Roles menu. Every box is now filled with the Commando "Wing" icon and bears the name "Label1". Attempting to interact with the menu in a way that does not close it will crash the game to desktop. However, I have discovered that this bug has not actually erased my player-defined roles. The menu error prevents me from editing or accessing them directly, so I cannot assign roles to my soldiers or create new ones, but those I made previously are still tagged to the appropriate soldiers.

Indeed, using the dedicated button in the Soldier Loadout screen, I can still copy my soldiers' equipment into the role's default loadout. Upon choosing another soldier with the same role, I can use the "Equip Default Loadout" button to paste the inventory onto the other soldier as normal.

It appears that the code storing my soldiers' roles and inventories is intact, as well as the code governing the roles' Loadouts, as I can make changes there, and the soldiers bring the appropriate gear into the BattleScape with them.

With this in mind, I would hazard to guess that the menu is making an invalid call when trying to retrieve the role information. This would account for the incorrect display, and trying to alter the displays in this case would involve writing to an invalid location, which would account for the crashes when one attempts to change the (incorrect) roles displayed.

I am far from an expert on this sort of thing, but I hope that at least puts you on the right track.

I have noticed, in more than one terrain type, that my Buzzard-Armored soldiers are pathing around the walls of the UFO's. By this, I mean that my Jump-Pack troops are capable of buzzing over the walls inside the Corvette and the upper floor of the Lander.

It appears that these UFO's (if not others) have no ceilings to prevent my soldiers from simply flying up and away through the ship's upper hull, allowing them to land happily either on the grass outside or back inside the UFO, but in an entirely different room.

I discovered this largely by accident, as it seems the soldier pathing decided that would take fewer time units to fly over a wall than walk around and through a closed door. The Buzzard armor is designed for that sort of thing: improving mobility by rising above battlefield obstacles (pun definitely intended). However, I feel that this armor was not designed to phase soldiers vertically through several inches of Alien Alloys.

I have no idea how to fix this one, but I wish you luck with it, all the same. :cool:

Now for a somewhat less-pressing issue I have regarding the Assault Shield. Unlike the Combat Shield, I am unable to see the Assault Shield being held by soldiers on the Battlescape. I cannot know for certain whether my troops are absorbing plasma blasts with their Shields or their Wolf Armor. Indeed, managing broken shields has become a headache, as a shield-less pistol trooper is not readily apparent amongst his peers.

I would like to know whether the Assault Shield's sprites are bugged on my end, or if they are simply not ready to be added into the game. If they are not finished, no worries. It would be rude of me to ask anything be "rushed", and I know there is a lot more to do besides.

Finally, I would like to address something that may not be a bug at all. I love this game. I'd like to thank you all for your hard work and dedication. The team has done a tremendous job thus far, and the game is only getting better.

I was afraid of that - we are doing some UI work at the moment, but it's not ready to be released yet, but it seems some of the code changes are messing up the soldier screen. I will try and seperate out the changes so I can release a version with only the shooting through walls fix.

Aliens shooting through the floor in the UFOs is a different thing, it's on the list to fix but it won't be in the next update.

EDIT: Change of plan, we are just going to do a full new build with various updated UI bits.

Edited by Aaron