[V20e2] Flying diagonally in buzzard suit costs no action points.

Yay replying to my own thread again!

Looks like this was not caused solely by loading an old savegame in battlescape, I just got the super jetpack bug again. After it was gone for a while, I did two (or was it three?) missions and now I'm raiding a landingship and the bug is back.

Time for some more free jetpack cruising :)

save file: http://share.cx.com/6YGJcL

edit:

IF there was a simple way to cheat and give myself all the research and items needed, I wouldn't mind testing if this happens on a newly started game (to rule out the cause being an old save).

Edited by superbob

A simple way to cheat...

Hmm...

Okay, look in researches.xml for Researches.Buzzard

In the next line, replace whatever number is there with a much smaller number (say... 1) - that will make it quick to research.

Then in the line below "Armour" replace the Researches.blahblahblah contents with Researches.AlienInvasion, so it will be available after you have researched the first project.

You'll still need alien alloys, but you can reduce the number required and the dollar cost in manufactures.xml - look for ManTech.Buzzard

This is a weird one. Loading this save file randomly gives me the super jetpack bug, as in, about half the time I restart the game and load it, movement cost for buzzard suit is fine.

But... I'm not crazy! I didn't just spend the last 90 minutes restarting the game and loading broken save files at random. Thing is, exploiting this bug lead me to three more bugs (probably known by now) which made me restart and savescumm a lot.

1. aliens/xenonauts can see, shoot and move through UFO roof
  2. aliens tend to shoot through floors (a lot more in V20e2) and sometimes kill xenonauts this way
  3. reaction shots against airborne xenonauts result in game getting stuck (can alt-f4 out of it)

To reproduce the following bugs, have the lady with the rocket launcher fly over the landing ship, or fly into the command room. Chances are she will get shot down by reaction shots and game will get stuck, otherwise end the turn and she will get blown up from below.

I can confirm some of these behaviours. I've got my Buzzard snipers flying around with free diagonals, flying through the roof of a landing ship, and being shot at through the roof of the landing ship. The aliens didn't seem to want to take reaction shots at them, for some reason, so I can't confirm the hang on reaction shots.

I know what is causing diagonal movement bug, we added a cost for diagonal movement (previously it cost the same as normal movement, which caused path finding to go crazy) but forgot to actually give it a cost! I will hotfix it a little later today.

Still have this bug in V20e3, started new game and happened as soon as I loaded an autosave with buzzard armor on the ground. First battle is 0AP diagonal movement, second and all following battles movement in buzzard armor results in effectively infinite AP after flying diagonally. Looks like some kinda memory corruption happening around the place the movement cost is loaded/calculated.

Note that sometimes it worked fine before the hotfix or v20e3. If the value was not set initially, whatever the game used (when it worked right) must've come from a different place.

Edit: also, this seems to be tied with doing landing ship missions. Might just be coincidence of course, but I'm pretty sure whenever this started I was raiding a landing ship.

Also this starts when loading a savegame that is in battlescape /w buzzard armor on the ground and continues until the game is restarted and loaded into geoscape. Then all seems to be fine until I actually load the game in battlescape, doing ground missions without reverting to saved games doesn't break the buzzard suit movement cost.

Edited by superbob