V20 Experimental Build 1 Available!

I am definitly not a fan of the new carrying capacity. It's just too low. I am hitting the limit easily, even without any armor. Combining that with the fact that i will only get one additional capacity for TEN strength levels and can't even go above the carrying capacity, although that may be a bug.

Just think about it. The absolute maximum of carrying capacity you can have is 30. 30!! Thats nothing. I know you don't want people running around with tons of ammo in their backpacks, but when you make all advanced weapons only have that pathetic amount of ammo, you don't really give us a choice. I mean aliens even have unlimited ammo.

I certainly agree with these points. A maximum of 50kg wasn't overkill, considering that would be an elite, battle-hardened soldier. It's not uncommon for special forces to carry 30kg backpacks in addition to their armor. So maybe make the weight 15+(str/4) for maximum 40kg including armor, that would at least allow for some spare ammo.

Another thing is item weights, while we kept things close to original x-com, 1kg minimum was fine, but now as we're getting a reduction in carried weight, some items need their weight adjusted. Grenades rarely weigh 1kg, smoke grenade would be the largest, at 600g, while the stun grenades weigh about 250g. Also mags should be like 750g tops.

Thanks for the update!

Looks great so far except maybe for the Workshop guy who seems to be sporting quite a loose dress code - I feel I should be member of a certain gender to appreciate the artwork but being as I am I would ask him to get his working attire in shape and bottom up since we are not in a night club here :)

All others look fine,(mad) scientist looking grumpy, simple but efficient, quarter master tubby and the logistics officer seems to be so lazy that he does not even have to stand up in front of his commanding officer but that is OK we forgive him since he is doing such a hard work - he is after all the brains behind the unlimited ammo :) But what truly got to me was the engineering view for the base building - the art, the new tiles look fantastic! Nice work!

Edited by zolobolo

I am definitly not a fan of the new carrying capacity. It's just too low. I am hitting the limit easily, even without any armor. Combining that with the fact that i will only get one additional capacity for TEN strength levels and can't even go above the carrying capacity, although that may be a bug.

Just think about it. The absolute maximum of carrying capacity you can have is 30. 30!! Thats nothing. I know you don't want people running around with tons of ammo in their backpacks, but when you make all advanced weapons only have that pathetic amount of ammo, you don't really give us a choice. I mean aliens even have unlimited ammo.

Post / discuss this in the V20 combat balance thread, please.

The new GUI is great,now i can easily read descriptions without leaning my face very close to screen and i like new aim mechanic everything is much more clear and exciting now.Also your new lighting mechanism did improve perfomance of night combat missions significantly,I tested it on my old laptop which has HD 4200 onboard GPU with 256 mb of dedicated memory and it is running very smooth now.

Research is pretty broken for myself. Can't seem to reallocate scientists after removing them from a project?

Maybe I'm just being a bit 'special' though? :P

[EDIT] Started another game and had no issues with this so it would seems it's either intermittent or triggered by something else.

Edited by Gribbstar

This is broken, really disappointed - not sure what there's to learn from a release so broken. Played 5 minutes and so far can't start new research projects (might be my own stupidity?) and already had two crashes. Definitely understand the experimental side will bring crashes, but really these crashes are so obvious that they should have been picked up with the most precursory play-through testing...

This is broken, really disappointed - not sure what there's to learn from a release so broken. Played 5 minutes and so far can't start new research projects (might be my own stupidity?) and already had two crashes. Definitely understand the experimental side will bring crashes, but really these crashes are so obvious that they should have been picked up with the most precursory play-through testing...

You've not been around for the first big update after a Stable build before, have you? :D V19 Experimental wasn't very stable when it first arrived and that build didn't involve ripping out 80% of the UI screens in the game.

The research bug only appears if you actually hire extra scientists, hence it didn't appear in our cursory play-through testing. The game also runs rather nicely on our machines when using our play-style. If it doesn't work with yours then report the bugs and we'll fix them. If it's a chore, wait for V20 Stable where it'll all be running as smoothly a well-oiled machine.

@all - there's likely to be further patches this week to fix the larger bugs.

Incidentally, the 4:3 thing unfortunately isn't going to be "fixed". The reason the previous screens worked on 4:3 is because they essentially had no regard for aspect ratios and the background / elements were stretched and scaled to whatever screen you happened to have. This works fine with our old ugly GUI because you weren't looking at the background so you barely noticed.

For the new UI, the elements have to scale in an intelligent way - so on the wider formats, you can't have massive empty bits in the middle of the screen just so that everything fits when compressed onto a 4:3 screen. Also, we're displaying a lot of information on each screen, often along with art (planes, vehicles, soldiers, the "person" on each screen) and it's very difficult to display it all in 4:3 without completely obscuring the background art and just displaying a "spreadsheet", or having unreadably small fonts. So we just display 4:3 screens in 16:10 with black bars so we can at least get the correct screen shape.

So basically the new UI can't work with 4:3 screens, and the old UI didn't work very well with them either but because it was "placeholder" not many people seemed to notice. It's a shame though, I admit.

You've not been around for the first big update after a Stable build before, have you? :D V19 Experimental wasn't very stable when it first arrived and that build didn't involve ripping out 80% of the UI screens in the game.

The research bug only appears if you actually hire extra scientists, hence it didn't appear in our cursory play-through testing. The game also runs rather nicely on our machines when using our play-style. If it doesn't work with yours then report the bugs and we'll fix them. If it's a chore, wait for V20 Stable where it'll all be running as smoothly a well-oiled machine.

@all - there's likely to be further patches this week to fix the larger bugs.

I think you need some more pre-release testers then :( I love the game so far, but a little worried with the past two experimental releases. If it's really unstable you shouldn't really release it - there's nothing to learn if it breaks so easily. Betas aren't to find the obvious crashes but the less obvious ones.

We are the pre-release beta testers. Your definition of beta is fully covered by the stable branch.

It's impossible to get experimental builds by an accident, and it's not like experimental is some secret branch with features stable users doesnt have...well, actually it is, but it's also a risks of crashing, losing of your saves and lots of bugs.

Testing process is much faster this way. Release, as a consequence, is closer. Searching for some bugs doesn't seem to be a big price for that.

I am somewhat concerned about the GUI font size. It is hella-small! I run a 1920x1080 monitor and have no problems normally. But playing Xenonauts even with the new ui forces me to squint my eyes. IT isnt very nice to look at. Is this how its gonna be, or will I be able to do something about that in the game's options?

Okay, I spent about three hours this afternoon playing Xenonauts. It feels like old days! The mood is depressing, and I just had my first night mission against a Scout ship. Lost half my crew, was a nailbiter. Love the ironman mode. Could say lots of things, but my gut feeling is: You got it right, Goldhawk Interactive. You got it right!