How deep is Xenonauts moddable?

PGer

Is it that deep, i could create my own soldier looks, armors, weapons, research and alien types/behavior?

Simple can i create an "xcom apocalypse" remake? Of course only tech and alientypes "look a like", not a 1:1 copy because of copyright issues.

Edited by PGer

I think the AI is hardcoded. Addin a multiworm functionalike is probably out of range. The armour can't be split in sections and I don't think you can change the geoscape to a cityscape. the forcefield is most likely impossible to add.

The looks armours and weapons can be modded (Jsleezy has done the two first and lots of people ahve done the last) However that is an ENORMOUS undertaking due to the ammount of sprites you need to modify.

The research should probably be easy enough.

Edited by Gorlom

Hmm, i think it is possible to add new alien types, at least zz once did that with xenomorphs.

You can meddle with the UFO content, adding those new types to the battlescape.

You can add tiles and maps.

Reapers have special claw weapon, but i'm afraid reproduction and zombifying are in code.

I'd say total conversion is possible, but

a) It can be that some crucial to conversion things are hardcoded. I don't sure the game has been tested in this scope.

b) 3d modelling, animation and rendering is the only sane way to get required quantity of sprites.

Edited by a333

First, thanks to your both for the nice reply.

I think the AI is hardcoded. Addin a multiworm functionalike is probably out of range. The armour can't be split in sections and I don't think you can change the geoscape to a cityscape. the forcefield is most likely impossible to add.

I don't mean a whole 1:1 remake like geoscape into cityscape, but the alientech, lifeforms and xcomtech.

Hmm, i think it is possible to add new alien types, at least zz once did that with xenomorphs.

You can meddle with the UFO content, adding those new types to the battlescape.

You can add tiles and maps.

Reapers have special claw weapon, but i'm afraid reproduction and zombifying are in code.

I'd say total conversion is possible, but

a) It can be that some crucial to conversion things are hardcoded. I don't sure the game has been tested in this scope.

b) 3d modelling, animation and rendering is the only sane way to get required quantity of sprites.

Would be great if it would be possible.

a) i would work on the models until the game is final and i would start working on the full mod

b) i think so, i have a bit experience with that, no problem with that, i do suck at drawing nice

also the models are tiny, so little details on the models don't matter i guess ^^

And for the images like autopsy's, i can use photoshop.

Would be great to hear something official about Total Conversations.

Soldier looks - yes.

Armors - yes.

Weapons - yes.

Research - Depends. The system is easy to mod, but the documentation is lacking, so while editing or copying existing projects is fairly straight-forward, adding completely different systems would be complicated.

Alien types - yes.

Alien behaviors - probably, with lacking documentation, don't know what limitation there are.

At first I thought you were talking about TFTD, in which case I figure you'd only hit a few snags beyond the horrendous sprite system, such as making jetpacks allow you to stand still in the air. Apocalypse, on the other hand, has a very different geoscape, and I figure it'd be about as easy to make it from scratch as to TC Xenonauts.

• 2 weeks later...

Let me give you an example of what it takes to introduce a new sprite into the game.

QQCObb3.png

See this?

This is how many sprites are involved in the animation for a soldier firing a laser rifle.

To the southeast.

On the single-fire setting.

While wearing Jackal body armor.

And crouched.

If you want, take a peek at the file under assets called units. I'd post the address but I'm sure not everyone is using Steam, so obviously it would be an invalid location for some. That'll show you how many individual images are involved in animating a unit.

• 1 month later...

Cheers for this info! Was actually wondering if it was possible to change the Hunters sprite to the hummer from fallout tactics, glad to see it is! Was a lil disappointed vehicles weren't animated, but that appears to be a blessing in disguise ;) Question, can we add additional vehicles, instead of just replacing the sprites?

Also, any tips for making renders of 3d assets match xenonauts assets via photoshop?