Ufo Mission Analysis

Max_Caine

THIS WORKS WITH: v20 stable and v21 Experimental 5

Okay, so yeah, I'm doing another one. I've noticed in several threads that people could use guidance on how the UFOs act in the Geoscape, and I was reminded of the UFO mission types you could get if you interrogated alien navigators in EU1994. I had said previously in a couple of threads that I should do a mod for UFO missions, and now the ACA is done, I thought it would be a good time to start the UMA.

I'm working with a different artist this time. Long time forumites will recognise Henry Ponciano. The UFO art he did seemed to have a special resonance - it was the one I got the most comments and private messages about (people wanted moar ufos!) so I thought, well, as I usually would commission fanart, why not put the work I would have commissioned to good use in a mod? Like the ACA, the research is automatic and is corpse- or rather, wreckage- unlocked. Shoot down a UFO, and as well as the UFO analysis, you'll get a mission analysis tied to the UFO. What I'd like to have done was tie the research to the mission that the UFO was doing at the time, but there's no way to access that data, so the best I can do is to tie it into the UFOs themselves.

I'm taking an experimental step in this mod and adding a new "voice" to the game. You aren't going to be getting your briefings on UFO mission types from the Director of Research. You'll be getting your briefings from your Operations liason officer. I've tried to provide a different, more buisnesslike tone, but I'm not quite sure how it'll pan out.

And we're done! MOD COMPLETE. here's the v20 stable and v21 Ex. 5 downloads.

Gentlemen?

scoutingpeek_zps39d7b93f.jpg

Your feedback is very much appreciated on this, as I'm branching out in several ways.

Edited by Max_Caine

Is the VHF acronym common enough that a base commander is presumed to know what it is or should you write it out in a parenthesis?

Where is Groom Lake btw? I'm horrible at geography... Off to Google!

Very High Frequency and the salt flat near Area 51. Makes sense...

Just a thought.

1. Are these reports given verbally or written? (the whole welcome to operations bit would probably be weird writen :P)

2. Has the commander not been in operations before your liason officer evaluates the alien tactics? And has the commander not met the liason officer before getting this report?

I mean the introduction works in the context when used in contrast to the alien class analysis being reported by the scientists, but does it make sense by itself without that contrast?

The reports should appear to be delivered in a verbal style, as if the Commander were being given an executive briefing in person by the officer. If that's not evident, then I'll have to work on that.

Having thought about it, I might change the first sentence to the following:

"Hello Commander, I don't think we've been formally introduced. I'm from Strategic Planning, just down the hall. I'll be keeping you informed on whatever we can discover about alien UFO activity."

EDIT: SOmeone wanted Terror missions? Well.. we'll have to see about that... ;)

Edited by Max_Caine

Here's the next one... I rather like this one.

researchpeek_zps8000a463.jpg

Some of the research will to have to wait until experimental versions of v20 come out, and the code hooks for interceptor research becomes available. In the meanwhile, there's still a lot that can be covered.

So do I best one yet.

The UFO in the first picture looks a bit "static", perhaps you could try to give it a bit of motion blur or something :) ?

Second image looks absolutely stunning, though!

I was thinking maybe it should be damaged and plunging into the ocean. Amazing stuff Max_Caine...very professional.

All due credit to Mr Ponciano, of course. I'll pass on the comments, but it will depend on whether he's kept the original files.

EDIT: One thing I will say is all the UFO mission images will be of UFOs successful in their mission. I wanted to add some contrast as the aliens don't seem as threatening otherwise.

Edited by Max_Caine

Not to rain on Gorlom's parade but you should really keep the abbreviations/acronyms imo because people, especially experts, using those terms would almost never use full words the same way you'd never say "short message system" or "electronic mail". "Fullonyms" sound almost unnatural in these situations.

In any case the images look great, my compliments to the chef. :)