Make better character portraits. Hire Jsleezy to make them.

I don't see the problem with the current ones and I find Jsleezys portraits to be too jarring. Imo they clash with the rest of the artwork because Jsleezys artstyle is so different from what Goldhawk has went with for the the enviroment, backgrounds and outfits.

Jsleezys portraits doesnt seem as moody/depressed either so you're missing out on part of the atmosphere buildup Chris is trying to set.

(Link to the mod thread just because: http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/7357-Jsleezy-s-Real-Fighter-Portrait-Pack )

PS: Did you know that the original portraits contain a bunch that are based on some of the backers on kickstarter?

Edited by Gorlom

Regardless of which one of us is right there are plenty of people on these forums who seems to like Jsleezy's work better than Chris's.

His mods are in high demand and that speaks for itself.

You should take this as a sign that something is wrong with the current portraits before you the game is so far along that it can't be altered.

Please at least look at other alternatives rather than just ignoring the problem i say.

If a bunch of these portraits are made to look like kickstarters then it still changes nothing.

The bonestructure of the faces is....warped or stretched in many cases.

You should take this as a sign that something is wrong with the current portraits before you the game is so far along that it can't be altered.

the game is this far already.

Can't say a bad word about Jsleezy work, it's awesome, detailed and anatomically correct.

But i can't say a bad word about xenonauts portrait artist either. As the Gorlom said, portraits are important part of unique game style and current ones are of better fit. I like this style.

I don't know how much of a demand are original portraits, but i suspect a big numbers. And i fail to understand why didn't you just use Jsleezy awesome mod (which allows anybody to choose between his portraits and original ones), but demand something from the developers.

The only reason that i could find is that you are one of those kickstarter people and you aren't satisfied with your portrait.

I wasn't using the kickstarter backers likeness as an argument since Jsleezy could probably make portraits in their likeness too. I was just commenting on it wondering if you knew :)

But I personally prefer the current style and want to have Jsleezy's mod as an option rather than the standard. His art does look good (in itself) but I feel it is best appriciated as a counterpoint as it does clash with everything else.

PS: Goldhawk might want to include the portrait mod at launch. Afaik Chris has talked about offering to ship the game with several mods. Or am I jsut dreaming stuff up now?

Edited by Gorlom

Point taken and if Chris did say that about shipping the game with mods then thats good news.

Still one has ask to oneself these questions.

1: A mod was made for alternate portraits. Why?

2: It's popular. Why?

The answer is obvious and since it's so obvious why didn't the dev's try to rectify the problem? Answer: vanity. pride.

I've said my piece.

1. For the same reason any mod is made. To have an alternative.

2. People like options. That doesn't necessarily mean they don't like the original.

But could you please elaborate what you mean by popular, how popular and how you are measuring this popularity.

Claiming that many people like the jsleezy portraits based on posts from that thread seem to be bit biased. It's much more likely for people who prefer new portrait to post there instead of someone like me who just see the OP and instantly back out because I prefer the dev one much more.

Or is there some people outside of that thread posting about how they don't like the current portraits? I don't follow this forum much so that is definitely possible.

rest editted out.

Edited by ventuswings

Maybe i was a bit vicious on my last post. Guess i'm frustrated. I see something that annoys me about the game.

Guess that's a flaw of mine. If i see something that i find distatefull i can't ignore it.

I do guess you have a point Ventuswings. Saying it's popular based on Jsleezy's thread is a bit biased.

But i will probably never be able to play Xenonauts without seeing this flaw. Jsleezy's mod is good but the helmets and shirt still looks outta wack in comparison to the face.

Small flaws or none for others no matter what....a glaring flaw for me i'm afraid.....oh well.

I admire anyone who dedicated their time and effort into a mod like Jsleezy has. His work looks really nice.

But popularity should not dictate what the game developers do. If that was the case the next Elder Scrolls game would automatically come with balloon-breasted elves and nudity pre-installed since those mods are the most popular on the Mod Nexus. And one to let you murder children too.

As much as I like Jsleezys hyper realistic work and the one portrait that looks like Ron Perlman, it clashes with everything else. Add in the armor pack helps there, but then backgrounds in the base clash with the characters, and the battlescape would be off too. Everything would have to be redone, which is not feasible.

Also, the profile thread only has around 15 replies, half are him explaining his process. That is hardly indicative of a forum with thousands of members and hundreds of active members. And there is no way to do an impartial poll. The only people who would participate are the strongly supportive and the strongly opposed, I doubt anyone else notices or cares. I myself only came upon the thread by that fantastic title and I was let down by how bad this thread is.

Tl;dr stop trying to shove hyper realism down everyone's throats. If a mod gets packaged with the game release that practically makes it an official feature and he should be honored.

You're making a lot of assumptions OP and I don't agree with any of them.

Not to mention it's easy to get a skewed impression. For example I was one of the people who praised JS for his work but I'm not actually using his mod nor do I intend to. I often commend people for their efforts that I think are objectively worthy but that doesn't mean I'm personally partial to them.

Edited by Jean-Luc

It's not vanity that the portraits are not being redone, it's because realistic portraits wouldn't fit the rest of the art style of the game and, ultimately, I'm happy with the current art style that the portraits are a part of.

Quite a few people don't like the existing portraits, but it's a subjective matter of taste and ultimately you can't make everyone happy all the time. There's a mod that adds about 30 new starting interceptors to the game too but that doesn't mean I feel we should add more starting interceptors to the game, much as the effort that went in impresses me.

We may try a different style of portraits in future games but it's something that needs to be considered as part of a wider art style rather than just as an individual part.

Lol you're absolutely right he kinda looks like that guy. I never noticed until now.

Also, I completely agree with Chris and A333, and some of the other guys. People make mods to give other player options not impose their opinions on the game and on the developers. Goldhawk has made an amazing game and I for one, am very glad they've given us the ability to make the game very modifiable. It is a sign that the developer cares for their community. It's one of the reason I love gaming on my PC.

Point taken and if Chris did say that about shipping the game with mods then thats good news.

Still one has ask to oneself these questions.

1: A mod was made for alternate portraits. Why?

Because each to their own, that's why.
2: It's popular. Why?
See above.
The answer is obvious
A very wise woman once taught me never to look at answers as "obvious". It blinds you to alternate explanations.
and since it's so obvious why didn't the dev's try to rectify the problem? Answer: vanity. pride.
I don't know if it's good business practice to pay an artist to do something for you only to throw out his contribution, which there's nothing wrong with, and substitute it for the work of someone else, who may not be willing to give up his artwork for a commercial project free of charge.