Hi guys, sorry for my bad english !

Well i bought the game and i really want to say that this game is really cool, but i don't really understand how the AI is working on this game.

Every mission that i have the Aliens just keep fleeing and waiting for Reaction shots that's all they can do, they don't even try offensive move they just wait and flee when i attack them.

On the first mission i was like " Ok its not a problem since i'm not fighting the real Alien Soldiers " but now i'm in December and it's always the same, they don't even try to attack me.

There's 2 exception, for 2 missions the base attack and the terror missions.

Now i'm really frustrated to attack downed UFO because on the ground every mission will be the same, they will ignore my vehicle and keep retreating...

Is it working as intended ?

I am having the same issue. No aggression, only reaction firing at my troops from cover.

Only aggression I see is on terror missions, and then I'm pretty much just sitting around my dropship the entire mission.

The aliens also knows every where all my soldiers are at all times even if they don't see them. So I can manipulate the movement of the aliens somewhat as they try to get to a better cover/position according to my soldier that is closest to them, even if they haven't seen my soldier at all. Meaning they become sniper food pretty often. Most noticable against camping alien in hangars on base defense missions.

Been playing the game on Steam.

I can confirm that the alien ground troops are non-aggressive and resort to camper tactics. The only time they actually display aggression is when they spot a civilian, and then they really go to town on the poor sucka. It's almost like they hold heavily armed humans in the highest regard and will only kill them when cornered, civilians on the other hand get squashed like bugs, literally. There'd be nothing left of them but blood & guts. Speaking of which, has anyone noticed that dead androns use the same corpse model as dead human soldiers? I know this is early-access and androns are supposed to be humanoid but damn is it disconcerting.

The aliens are VERY aggressive in building bases, I've noticed. They've built 3 bases in the Soviet Union within the space of ONE WEEK, all well within the range of Xeno interceptors like they just don't care. I can only shudder at the thought of how many bases they've put up in the Poles where I've no radar coverage. Dozens, hundreds?

Edited by JonathanYu

Aliens from light scout mission are indeed really passive. If the player knows what they are doing, you are very unlikely to get fired upon except via reaction fire. That is why I advocated buffing the accuracy value of non-combatant aliens since the fact that they use plasma pistol is enough of a penalty.

Actually, I think that depends a lot on how closely you bunch your troops - the noncombatants tend to be very shy when you have a fireteam of four guys coming at them at once, and will try to fall back to get reinforced before taking you on. (Which, all in all, isn't an insane idea, if they were just better at actually getting coordianted and grouping together, themselves.)

They'll actually suddenly get aggressive if they have even numbers to your troops they can throw at you - try splitting one of your guys off about 6-12 tiles away from the rest of your crew, and they'll suddenly start bum-rushing your loner troop, at least, for sebs.

Make sure that guy's an assault (shotgun/carbine), and the guys that he's splitting off from are riflemen/snipers for best results.

Right now at least, aliens automatically turn towards the closest soldier. I think someone said they could "hear" you approaching and that's why they turn.

It may not seem fair, but it can easily be abused in your favor. Try taking a soldier and putting him against the side of a ufo, then open the door with another...

Right now at least, aliens automatically turn towards the closest soldier. I think someone said they could "hear" you approaching and that's why they turn.

It may not seem fair, but it can easily be abused in your favor. Try taking a soldier and putting him against the side of a ufo, then open the door with another...

That would make sense if there were some sort of stealth elements in the game, and some sort of "hearing" function that your own characters could use.

As it stands, that sounds like it's just some player's rationalization of an AI hack/"cheat" to make aliens face towards the "closest threat" using fairly simple code.

(And that's not a "bug", StellarRat, it's a partially-implemented feature. Bugs are when the game doesn't behave as it was intended to behave when it was coded. This is the result of a developer putting in some easy code that approximates a sane AI choice with the least amount of coding necessary. Basically, it's just rushed coding and placeholder AI. But it's entirely what's supposed to happen. Maybe not in the final version, but it's what's supposed to happen now, anyway.)

(And that's not a "bug", StellarRat, it's a partially-implemented feature. Bugs are when the game doesn't behave as it was intended to behave when it was coded. This is the result of a developer putting in some easy code that approximates a sane AI choice with the least amount of coding necessary. Basically, it's just rushed coding and placeholder AI. But it's entirely what's supposed to happen. Maybe not in the final version, but it's what's supposed to happen now, anyway.)
Any time the code isn't performing as the user expects it to it's a bug to me. In this case, it's performing unrealistically and it creates an exploit. So, I'd call it a bug. If I was working on this project that would certainly be on the "bug list" to be fixed. Why do you think it's a partially implemented feature?

Any time the code isn't performing as the user expects it to it's a bug to me. In this case, it's performing unrealistically and it creates an exploit. So, I'd call it a bug. If I was working on this project that would certainly be on the "bug list" to be fixed. Why do you think it's a partially implemented feature?

Because it's working as intended?

That's an improper definition of the term "bug". A bug is when a program doesn't operate as the programmer meant the code to operate. The user can expect whatever they want, but that doesn't make a product buggy if their expectations aren't met.

It's quite common in unfinished games for some aspects of the game to be placeholders. Dwarf Fortress has some fairly obvious ones, such as binary permanent faction loyalty that results in a whole nation going hostile against you for kicking a chicken belonging to that nation. That's not a bug, it's just that the actual code handling anything between friendly and kill-on-sight has yet to be written.

This code is likely a placeholder hack/"cheat" for when the AI for the enemy forces finally does get rewritten so as to be sophisticated enough.

That's an improper definition of the term "bug". A bug is when a program doesn't operate as the programmer meant the code to operate. The user can expect whatever they want, but that doesn't make a product buggy if their expectations aren't met.
You know I've been in IT for 25 years and trust me the users take on something is all that matters. It's a BUG from their perspective and that's all that matters. They pay your salary. I don't give a rip if it's half implemented code, something someone left in, or the Charmed Ones cast a spell on your code, it's a bug when it doesn't work like they expect it to. Edited by StellarRat