Base defence loadout

Okay, here's my argument for the issue:

The aliens' attack is something that TAKES TIME in the game world. As pointed out, it's not an instantaneous, magical teleportation attack where the aliens suddenly show up in your hangar, workshop, and medical center and say "Excuse me, is this the Xenonaut base?"

There are sandbags around the command center. Somebody clearly knew this attack was coming hours before it happened. Why can't I equip my troops in the time it happens? Why, after a man comes off medical leave, does he get only an M16 and two magazines until I specifically say otherwise, even if the alien armada gate-crashes our base?

This is what I'd like to see in terms of base defense.

When the missile batteries start firing, you get the option to

1) equip your troops in the armory.

2) evacuate a number of scientists/technicians directly proportional to the space on your dropships, so not EVERYONE dies if the aliens happen to win.

3) get to conscript members of the non-combat support personnel if you don't have the full 16 troop contingent (they would suck, worse than privates, with stats in the upper 40s, but still. In the Battle of Wake Island, the USMC had fighter pilots leading chefs and clerks in the final defense of their base against the Japanese. Why our guys choose to cower under the base, even though the REACTOR MELTDOWN from the aliens winning the fight will kill them anyway, is beyond me.